Caliper piston replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a list somewhere to figure out caliper piston sizes? carlson, centric, etc give different fitment results depending on there you look online.

Are you working on an old car where replacement parts aren't available? If not, FWIW I got a rebuilt caliper from NAPA for 26 bucks for my Mustang.

An online search often finds replacement pistons for various brake calipers. However, if the calipers have already been rebuilt, the pistons may be oversized. In some cases direct measurement will be necessary.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Are you working on an old car where replacement parts aren't available? If not, FWIW I got a rebuilt caliper from NAPA for 26 bucks for my Mustang.

It's for the Escalade in my sig. I put one reman on the other day. Inspecting the other side I wanted to clean things up a little bit. Make the Pistons move a little more easily.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

It's for the Escalade in my sig. I put one reman on the other day. Inspecting the other side I wanted to clean things up a little bit. Make the Pistons move a little more easily.

You can get brand new OE calipers for your Escalade on Rock Auto
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

What fun would that be?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

What fun would that be?

It's fun when you can still get a brand new OE caliper! Not having to worry about Cardon't's half-[censored] rebuild jobs (see the Critic's recent thread)

So much fun when you only have to do the job once and don't have to worry about it again
smile.gif

Your Escalade uses 51mm pistons. Centric part number is 143.66013

Pistons are all application specific...not necessarily looked up by size.

When a caliper is rebuilt, the piston size does not change. If the bore is bad enough to where it would require an oversize piston and machine work, the caliper is scrap. Remember, the piston is the sealing surface...not the bore. (exception being a few early domestic 4 piston calipers and dunlop calipers)

Originally Posted by lbhsbz
Your Escalade uses 51mm pistons. Centric part number is 143.66013

Pistons are all application specific...not necessarily looked up by size.

When a caliper is rebuilt, the piston size does not change. If the bore is bad enough to where it would require an oversize piston and machine work, the caliper is scrap. Remember, the piston is the sealing surface...not the bore. (exception being a few early domestic 4 piston calipers and dunlop calipers)

OK thanks. I have the rear kit. The dust boot for the piston just pulls off, press fit back in?

20190217_160958.jpg

The rear uses 45mm pistons. Centric part number 145.45006.

I don't have that kit in front of me right now. If the boot seems like it's got a metal ring molded into it...then they are a press fit. Use a socket or piece of PVC pipe or something round to drive it in.

Remember to replace the square cut seal inside the caliper bore, if you haven't already . It's the most important piece. And I don't want to be rude, but rebuilding calipers is something that has gone by the wayside, the components you get aren't usually the best quality and the chance for user error is a little high. You buy a rebuilt caliper from a reputable parts store and as long as it has a warranty you'll be able to have that thing forever without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back