Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 V6
No Make-up oil
52,000 on unit
5,000 on oil
Castrol Edge Bio-Synthetic 5w-30
Baldwin BT223 Filter

This is a nice report for your Wrangler. Metals are mostly steady compared to last time. The
engine did put a little more copper in the mix, but certainly not a problem level. We expect some variation
from sample to sample, just from normal variation in day-to-day use. The viscosity read in the 5W/20 range,
but it's been that way before and doesn't look like a problem now. The oil wasn't thinned by fuel and no
other contaminants showed up either. Oil filtration and combustion look great based on the low in-solubles.
This Jeep is doing fine at 52,000 total miles.

Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iron 8
Copper 21
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 87
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 9
Potassium 0
Boron 26
Silicon 12
Sodium 6
Calcium 1032
Magnesium 1150
Phosphorous 643
Zinc 863
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 49.1
CST Viscosity @100C 6.98
Flashpoint in F 420
Fuel % span>
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.1

In- Fleetguard LF3339 (Oversized Filter)
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
- in Winter, single digits, doesn't sound so great at start-up.
Purchased new in 7/2010- No problems with this engine, runs smooth and quiet, burns no oil, even up to 7k.

This is a 1st time where I encountered "Bio"-Synthetic oil. I don't know if it's the reason why this 30w sheared all the way down 6.98cst. But that number is a pretty thin 20W shear, inside a Blackstone report that did not flag dilution as the reason.

Something is amiss here. Are you sure that this oil wasn't 5W20, instead of 5W30? Your add-pack numbers indicates a new brew. I thought these new-fangled SN Plus Dexos1/Gen2 oils don't shear as much anymore.

Positive it was 5w30. I've had some past runs where a 5w30 ended up in the 7cst range. I'm really supposed to be running 5w20, per the manual. We'll see how the Pennzoil does for 5k or so.

I wish stricter laws existed that forbid these oil makers from using super-wide ranges on the base oil brew and add-pack brew.
Large variations occur and there's no one to stop these oil makers from bottling a 20w oil inside a 30W jug. But I suppose gasoline makers like BP do wide-wide variances with gas and get away with it, so why not oil too.

Your oil didn't shear that much. It was sloppily bottled too thin..... my opinion. C'mon BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back