Weird Residue in New Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I made a trip to Wally World to grab some oil change essentials. One of those was a Fram Ultra XG2 filter. When it came time to prefill and install it, I noticed something odd at the bottom of the filter. At first, I thought it might be some glue. There were several droplets of what I assume are machine oil, but I'm not sure (see attached picture). I used a clean instrument to gently collect some if it, and it had the texture of oil and had a very mild oil smell, if any.

Is this unusual? Everything else about the filter appeared to be new or normal, otherwise untampered. I installed it but haven't stated my truck yet.and figured I would get your thoughts first. If it's not okay, color me disappointed at this $9 filter.

0215192341a.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mphilleo
Tonight I made a trip to Wally World to grab some oil change essentials. One of those was a Fram Ultra XG2 filter. When it came time to prefill and install it, I noticed something odd at the bottom of the filter. At first, I thought it might be some glue. There were several droplets of what I assume are machine oil, but I'm not sure (see attached picture). I used a clean instrument to gently collect some if it, and it had the texture of oil and had a very mild oil smell, if any.

Is this unusual? Everything else about the filter appeared to be new or normal, otherwise untampered. I installed it but haven't stated my truck yet.and figured I would get your thoughts first. If it's not okay, color me disappointed at this $9 filter.

I just got one myself that has that oil in it. I wouldn't worry about it. It's either there to prevent corrosion as said previously, or it's a little lubrication left over from assembly.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
It is an anti corrosive, Jay has posted about it.

+1

Many products built overseas (or built here and shipped overseas) come in rail containers, but endure long spells on ocean waters, which contain corrosive salt. Rifles, pistols and shotguns have been employing anti-corrosive oils on their products for over a half-century now. So other products now follow suit., based on complaints when rust on new products surfaced, prior to using anti-corrosive protection on the new products.

Shrink-wrapping is another method and in some cases, both oils and shrink-wrap are used. Ocean waters are more volatile today and increasing in volatility every decade, thanks to changing climates, increased fossil fuels, increased temps and shrinking rain forests.

Our earth is slowly turning into either a giant parking lot, or large city loaded with buildings with no shade. So Fram now has to adapt, like everyone else.

As other have said it's an RP - Rust Preventative oil. Not enough to worry about. Many stamping companies uses these products. We used water based RP products on transmission components it dries into a white wax film that protects from rusting

Wow, I've either never noticed this stuff before, or it must have been dried already, and I've done my fair share of oil changes. Thanks, I've learned something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back