0w20 vs 0/5w30 (yes I know another viscosity thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've always gone by the book as far as which oil grade to use. At least hot. I'll tweak a 5 to a 0 and use 0w20. But that's about it. The only exception to that being A. If there's a compelling reason to change as a result of objective tests, or B. The manufacturer backspecced oil like Ford did when they switched their 5w30 vehicles to 5w20 for Cafe stuffs.

Family members wrangler is coming up on its first oil change. 2019 model with the pentastar v6.

How here's what miffs me: the thing used to be specced for 5w30 in previous model years. Now it's specced for 0w20.

My question is this: were there any changes to the engine design to accommodate 0w20 rather than 5w30? Any UOAs that indicate one is better than the other? Or are these things easy on oil and I should just stop over thinking it?

Well right or wrong I use PP 5W30 in my 2018 RAM 3.6 & 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6. No MPG difference. Both engines are quieter.

I have never heard of anyone having trouble running a 0w30 when 5w20 is called for. Ever. Though 20 grade oils have come a long way, I run 0w30 and sleep well at night.

It's your equipment now, not theirs. If your research says 30 weight gives me a little more what I want, go for it. If your brain says nah I just want to follow their playbook for you, then do that, whatever.

Put 5W-30 in it if towing or taking it to the race track.
grin2.gif

Same is true with the VQ motors the next generation after my car. My car was specd for a 5w30. Next gen was 0w20. The next gen VQ motors have 300 how vs mine of 270 hp...

I think for everyday driving... A 0w20 would be just fine. But if towing or truly pushing the motor say tracking it then a 5w30 would be a good thought.

My 2016 Rubicon has 5w20 on the fill cap, and 5W30 in the sump. No harm will come. My owners manual states it is OK, I haven't looked at the owners manual for a 2019, but I'd be using a 30 grade oil in it if I owned one.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
So, I've always gone by the book as far as which oil grade to use. At least hot. I'll tweak a 5 to a 0 and use 0w20. But that's about it. The only exception to that being A. If there's a compelling reason to change as a result of objective tests, or B. The manufacturer backspecced oil like Ford did when they switched their 5w30 vehicles to 5w20 for Cafe stuffs.

Family members wrangler is coming up on its first oil change. 2019 model with the pentastar v6.

How here's what miffs me: the thing used to be specced for 5w30 in previous model years. Now it's specced for 0w20.

My question is this: were there any changes to the engine design to accommodate 0w20 rather than 5w30? Any UOAs that indicate one is better than the other? Or are these things easy on oil and I should just stop over thinking it?

Odds are the change to 0W20 was done for CAFE reasons. Automakers must comply with government laws on fuel economy.
I would run 5w30 year-round.

You can't "tweak" a winter rating... can't move from 10Wxx to a 5Wxx by anything you're pouring in with the oil. It simply doesn't work that way, as there will be waxes that crystallize in the 10Wxx at exactly the same temperature regardless of what you thin it down with. But you can thin an xW30 to an xW20 because the hot viscosity is what is the "natural state" of the oil is when the fancy cold weather additives are not at work.

I'd run 5W30, and do run it in my 06 Odyssey that calls for 5W20. Not because it burns any, but because it runs smoother and mileage is not affected. Heck, I even ran 0W40 in it with great results.

It's almost certain there were no mechanical changes to the Pentastar as far as bearing clearances; like Triple said it was all for fuel mileage, and we're talking fractions of an MPG when figured over the entire operating fleet of the Pentastar engine. You, as an individual user, would likely never notice a statistical difference in your MPG that was not attributable to environmental variations (temp, road conditions, etc.). I'd stick with the 30wt oil if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time, and that's NOT stoking the thin vs. thick debate, because I believe an engine designed from the get-go for 20wt will survive just fine for it's lifetime.

I use 10W30 in my Accord that specs 0W20. When it comes time to change the oil again I'll do a uoa to compare it to my QSUD 5W20 uoa and see how they look side by side.

I took off the oil fill cap and watched the camshaft on a first of the morning cold start. It was instantly bathed in oil. Like someone said awhile back,engines are tough and can tolerate a wide range of viscosities. Shell Australia recommends 0W20-15W40 for my car.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
... but I'd be using a 30 grade oil in it if I owned one.

+1 to the 30 grade

Your thinking is perfectly rational. There is no problem with your thinking.

My Son In Law goes by the book and runs a 0w-20 in his newer 4Runner. I shudder every time I walk by it while its idling.
It is so noisy. Rattle, rattle, rattle.

Originally Posted by Gebo

+1 to the 30 grade

My Son In Law goes by the book and runs a 0w-20 in his newer 4Runner. I shudder every time I walk by it while its idling.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife would beg to differ with you comments that my thinking is perfectly rational. LOL

Originally Posted by Gebo

+1 to the 30 grade

Probably something else rattling.

*You won't get to 3.0 HTHS unless you use a 30 weight as 20 weight HTHS is less than 3.0 (2.7) .
Originally Posted by Marco620
I run 0w20 Redline but snagged a couple 5w20 which I will blend in summer to get a low 3 hths. Gonna use it when I dyno or run NOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back