Need a new toliet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Need a new toilet for my sister's house.

Standard lever on the left or button in the middle?

Single flush or dual flush?

I was going to buy Glacier Bay at Home Depot. ???? Fine? Or another?

Comments?

Most professional plumbers recommend Toto. On the advice of my plumber, I bought a Toto excellent flush great bowl wash.

Toto excellent, so is Gerber, which would have to installed by a professional plumber. I have a Mansfield pressure flush toilet which has been good but noisy.

Well designed low flow toilets work fine. My plumber was very definite about getting a single flush system. He says dual flush systems have reliability problems.

Our new Toto works great. Our Kohler is not too bad either but not as good as the Toto. Our American Standard is a poor flusher.

These comments apply to the models we happen to have and there may be better models (of Kohler and American Standard) than what we have; they were in the house when we bought it.

I guess I have the builder grade American Standard in my house. No complaints. What's your budget?

I have used them all. I recommend Kohler Highline. My customers love them. And less expensive than most Toto's.

I got I think an American Standard, it's called the Champion (
lol.gif
) and it's advertised as being able to flush a bowl full of golf balls on a single flush. How bad I'll wrangle my kid's neck if he ever tries it... but I can tell you it's flushed every solid and all the teepee that's gone into it with a single pull of the handle. Not so for the twalets that were here when I moved in... had a couple three-flushers before I ripped those crappy toilets out (pun intended)!

I refitted my late mom's townhouse with Kohler and American Standard toilets in the $150-$175 range brfore i sold it and I'd consider them serviceable and good quality. I didn't want to chance it on Glacier Bay even though consumer rags evidently have rated them well...then again, a similar Chinese toilet was in mom's half bath for 10 years and it was fine. Handle placement might depend on the orientation in the bathroom. I prefer to pick a gallons per flush number and just go with that vs. a dual flush mechanism but not everyone feels the same way.

Toto's are very nice toilets but typically outside my price range and it sounds like you'd like to go cheaper. I'd definitely agree with the suggestion of ADA/"comfort height" toilets over something that's 14" off the ground. Definitely look at all the specs before you choose one.

Everyone seems to like the comfort height toilets but I prefer the standard 14 in high toilet. It has to do with the way our muscles work. The closer you are to squatting and further away from standing the easier it is to defecate. You also get a more complete evacuation of your bowels when you squat.

Make sure you measure the "rough in" distance before purchase. The vast majority of toilets have a 12 inch rough in, but I found myself suprised to find the toilet I was trying to replace had a 10 inch rough in (after purchase of course). I ended up getting a Jacuzzi brand toilet (who knew?) at Lowes for $179. It is VERY nice, and compares in quality to toilets at twice the price.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
My plumber was very definite about getting a single flush system. He says dual flush systems have reliability problems.

Nah. Dual flush is all we are allowed to have in Australia (due to their water saving abilities) and we certainly don't have reliability problems.

We got a made in USA Toto. Very pleased. Many toilets are sourced from Mexico..

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by ecotourist
My plumber was very definite about getting a single flush system. He says dual flush systems have reliability problems.

Nah. Dual flush is all we are allowed to have in Australia (due to their water saving abilities) and we certainly don't have reliability problems.

Perhaps it's because the toilet water spins backwards given that you're upside down?
wink.gif

I suspect that since your obesity rate is lower, it means down there people eat less, and it all makes sense from there
smile.gif

I put in an American Standard Cadet 3 a few years ago. cost about 150 dollars and works perfect, even for " heavy duty" use :)

Never buy glacier bay for plumbing fixtures. They are the cheapest home depot in house brand. Pretty much anything else previously mentioned will be fine. A friend of mine put three of them in once. Brand new out of the box two of them ran all the time. Any savings in price was gone with the water bill.

I used dual flush for years with no problems. If your water has a lot of minerals in it then that could be a concern but that would affect regular flush systems as well.

Toto, and the well known brands already mentioned are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back