Uninstall Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
CCleaner kept on bugging me to install the latest version. I did this but it also installed unwanted Avast antivirus software. Previously, I was able to uninstall this uninvited/unwanted software. But now, there is no way to get rid of it! It wants to take over my computer and remove my other antimalware software. How does one remove this pest?

IIRC there is a tool you'll have to download from their site to remove their AV Software. Google uninstall Avast that should point you in the right direction.

Thanks All-
Used Revo as I was afraid of the AVAST uninstaller. It may take over my computer, too! CCleaner is next.

Revo did a great job. Highly recommend

It's still there!

After using REVO and restarting, I checked installed Apps and AVAST did not appear. Assumed it was removed. Checked Windows Security and AVAST was still there. Clicked on it and it happily started scanning (as if nothing had been deleted).

What's up with that? Do I really need the AVAST uninstaller after all?

Did you also look inside Programs and Features?
Also look in your Downloads folder.

When finished, all you need for Windows 10 is the installed already and hopefully you kept it updated Windows Defender Security System.

Do you restore points on? If yes, select a restore point before CCleaner. That will remove everything.

If not, try using Avast uninstaller. These antivirus ALWAYS leave some files behind.

Thank you Triple(etc)-
AVAST does not appear in Downloads but in Program Files. When I try to delete it there, it requests Administrator Rights to do this. When I do this with Adm enabled, it still cannot be deleted. It appears AVAST erected a wall around itself by naming itself Administrator!
Cant rid myself of the unwanted program. In my opinion, this is unethical. It installed itself wo asking for permission and was hidden. I thought I was just updating CCleaner. Stay away.

I believe Avast/AVG now owns Piriform (CCleaner). From my research, it seems that Avast is acknowledged as being a very good security application but sends lots of data (telemetry) and displays advertising. The guys over at malwaretips tend to stay away from it for those reasons (by the way, it's a really good site for AV & malware information).

Last edited:
Avast does own Piriform. I have read when you install CCleaner nowadays it also installs Avast. The Avast uninstall tool works well and should not cause any problems. It will put the computer into Safe Mode when it runs and it should completely remove all Avast files and exes. Then the computer will restart in normal mode and Windows Defender should be enabled. It may take a minute or two for Defender to update itself but it will turn back on after Avast is removed. You can also download the free version of Iobit Uninstaller and run the "Powerful Uninstall" on Avast to get rid of all residual files. If all else fails you can go into regedit as an admin and search/delete any leftover Avast info.

https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back