Help Me Choose A Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend the LG G5.

Specifically because it is easy to upgrade, the camera is excellent, and the battery can be replaced within a couple of minutes.

I had a Galaxy Note 2 before I bought the LG. Same criteria. I bought it for $200, kept it for three years, and sold it for $100.

I plan on doing the same thing with this phone since I tend to be frugal when it comes to phones for my business. There is a lot of overpriced and overrated garbage out there that won't last once you can't replace the battery or upgrade the memory. The G5 solves that problem.

I think the going price for it may be around $150 and compared to your Tracfone it will likely be lightning fast. Good luck!

After a decade or more of using Android phones, I bought my first Iphone this year. It'd be difficult to back to Android. The user interface of the Iphone / iOS is so polished, intuitive and easy to use. Compatibility is great and software updates are available as soon as they're released. Phones are still supported for many years after their release.

Android keeps adding features but the implementation is often haphazard. Each manufacturer does things differently so the transition to a new device presents a challenge unless you stick to the same brand. I find that system updates all but disappear after a couple years, even for some very popular models.

That said, there are some things I dislike about the Iphone, such as Apple's attempt to grab as much money as they can with pricey accessories (for example a fast charger that included in the box with Android devices, but not Apple) and it lacks some power features that are present with Android devices. But for everyday use, the Iphone has been fantastic. The Iphone 7/8 has dropped in price quite a bit and is still has performance that is on par with all but perhaps the most recent flagship devices.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
After a decade or more of using Android phones, I bought my first Iphone this year. It'd be difficult to back to Android. The user interface of the Iphone / iOS is so polished, intuitive and easy to use. Compatibility is great and software updates are available as soon as they're released. Phones are still supported for many years after their release.

Android keeps adding features but the implementation is often haphazard. Each manufacturer does things differently so the transition to a new device presents a challenge unless you stick to the same brand. I find that system updates all but disappear after a couple years, even for some very popular models.

That said, there are some things I dislike about the Iphone, such as Apple's attempt to grab as much money as they can with pricey accessories (for example a fast charger that included in the box with Android devices, but not Apple) and it lacks some power features that are present with Android devices. But for everyday use, the Iphone has been fantastic. The Iphone 7/8 has dropped in price quite a bit and is still has performance that is on par with all but perhaps the most recent flagship devices.

I mirror this entirely. Done both, used to absolutely hate iPhone's and Apple with every fiber of my being. If HTC would have made a phone that wouldn't blow its speakers out if used as advertised I'd still be rocking one of those. That's what drove me to an iPhone. Regretted switching back to the Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy S8... hated the s8 so much I bought an iPhone 8 a month before the release announcements of the new models.

It's pretty hard to beat iMessage as well. Yeah, there are other apps that do the same thing, but the integration and quality of messages sent between iPhone users demolishes the potato quality movies my wife would send me when I had my Androids.

All that being said, you can get android phones far cheaper.

Last edited:
After Android I switched to Iphone. I will never go back. Apple is so easy to use and intuitive.

Loving my iPhone Xs. Battery is superb, screen and camera excellent, wireless charging is a nice touch.

I agree with the others on the IPhone . We had androids since the 90s and We won't be going back either I keep the extortion down by buying the prior generation . I've got a 7 plus and the wife just got the 8 plus.
One thing, if you're going to use the surfing function much and you're over 40. Think about getting a Plus size. Yea they're too [censored] big but you can deal with it and still see the thing. I like the contact charging on the 10s but not that💸💸💸 much.

I have a Galaxy Note 8 which is just a bigger version with a stylus than the S8 - Samsung. The A8 is very similar in its specs more economy priced than the S8. Solid performers, long battery life, great pictures, fast and supports the latest Android O/S

All depends on your budget.
I like Windows phones, but they are deader than a doornail.

You can get a Motorola G6 for $180 as the next gen G7 is coming out.
Also the X is nice.

Samsung and Apple are big bucks; people love em.
I kinda like the Pixel and One Plus phones; they ain't cheap either.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
All depends on your budget.

My budget is any of the phones in the link I provided except the Galaxy S7.

The Moto X 4 is on sale now for about $149.00. For a new phone is an an awesome deal. Check out the reviews online.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Sony Experia XA 2 Ultra. Has 4K and I got 128GB memory

As a "Sony pony" I can't recommend the XA2 or XA2 Ultra. Loved absolutely everything about the phone, but the abysmal antenna constantly hunted for the network, and frequently lost signal altogether. No, this was not while moving, no case involved to affect signal, and no this was not in poor RF conditions (I actually used to test cell towers for throughput and signal quality). I know where my towers are, and there was no excuse for the Sony to hunt for/drop signal. Yet every 2-3 minutes it would change between LTE, 3G, LTE+, No signal, LTE, 4G, No signal, 3G...

My old Galaxy On5 embarrased the XA2 in the reception department...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman
The Moto X 4 is on sale now for about $149.00. For a new phone is an an awesome deal. Check out the reviews online.

Don't get this one. It is VERY difficult to repair.

If your budget is around $200. I would recommend Pixel (We just got 2 pre-owned Pixel XL phones, great camera, one google and one Verizon, recommend Google phone). Google is still providing updates every month until (Oct' 19), no clutter whatsoever on the phone and if you are a little techie (like me) who can do the stuff and write a couple of commands by watching videos, you can root the phone and continue to use for another 3-4 years. You will get updates at XDA Developers.
I refuse to give more than $200 for any smartphone. The Chinese can make a good hardware phone for less than $100. I would pay $100 more for R & D of these companies but thats about it. Google provides software for free.

LG G5, great camera, removable battery but its dead. LG doesn't allow rooting, nor does it provide updates. I personally do not like using a phone that is not updated in a while (that is LG G5 and G6). The hackers are hacking stuff left and right and those of us who are not really geeks are vulnerable.

Galaxy S series, rather tricky to root and update, esp the US versions due to the locked bootloaders. Some have managed to root it but if you are not a geek, you don't want to go that way. Again, no updates as the providers control it, not Samsung.

My brother works for Apple but I will never go to iPhones. The planned obsolescence irritates the heck out me, esp after paying $600 upwards.

Moto phones, everything OK, it works but nothing stands out.

If you are like me, who keeps the phone till they die or too slow to use, I would consider Pixel series or One Plus 5 (or 5T). A lot of following for these phones so I am expecting these phones to get updated long after Google or One Plus stops providing updates.

Galaxy S4 is/was like that. It still works really well (running Android 8) but I just got tired of it after 4 years. I read a lot on the phone and the small screen with eyesight getting worse, I needed a larger screen. Pixel XL fits the bill perfectly. Very happy with the purchase.

The Motorola Moto G6 and G7 are great deals for a mid priced smart phones. My wife and I run the G6. Haven't had any issues.

Always been a fan of the Moto G Series (Had an original G, to a G4 Plus) and they have served me well. I recently picked up a Nokia 7.1 and it seems to be a pretty good phone. Looks good, performs well, doesn't break the bank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
I'm getting low on minutes with my Tracfone so I might as well get a new Smartphone. Besides the Galaxy S7 what phone would you recommend ?

https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone-c...amp;query=tracfone&isSuggested=false

Since you are a first-timer that moving from a fold-open tracphone, start easy on the wallet and look no further than a free LG from Metro PCS.

I started this way and I recommend you choosing the same path. LG Stylo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back