Tore Wheel Cylinder Boot on 2007 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how the wheel cylinders have a rubber boot on each end?

Well, with 208,000+ miles, the shoes have worn into the drums enough that there's a lip, and it was hard to pull the drums off (especially the RH side). And as I was pulling the RH side, it pulled that forward brake shoe with it enough that it caused the arm that the wheel cylinder pushes on, to apply force to the brake shoe, to pop off and tear one of the boots.

I should have just adjusted the shoes inward with the adjuster on the back of the backing plate, but I didn't. First time fooling with drum brakes. Lesson learned.

Here are my questions: Has anybody seen JUST the boots for sale? The factory service manual calls for new boots any time the wheel cyl. is removed. But I called the dealer and the parts counterman said he didn't see the boots for sale.

2nd question: IF I can't find just the boots, it worth spending $41 on an OEM wheel cyl., or is the $18.99 AutoZone part "good enough"? With certain, important things (alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc.), I do like to stick with OEM. But, cheaper or easier to replace parts, I don't necessarily think I need to spend double the money on OEM.

Your opinion?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
With certain, important things (alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc.), I do like to stick with OEM. But, cheaper or easier to replace parts, I don't necessarily think I need to spend double the money on OEM. Your opinion?

You don't consider "Importantt" something that has to do with brakes?
crazy.gif
Which could save your life ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by john_pifer
With certain, important things (alternators, starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc.), I do like to stick with OEM. But, cheaper or easier to replace parts, I don't necessarily think I need to spend double the money on OEM. Your opinion?

crazy.gif

Not really. The accelerator is more important to me!
57.gif

crazy.gif
I take it your car has OEM pads, rotors and brake fluid?

Honestly $40 v $20 is a no brainer for OEM. I agree with you on not buying OEM parts if they are a lot more expensive than the aftermarket, but not all OEM parts are like that. I'd call another dealership or find one online.

maybe this type of kit, but seems out of stock anywhere. New cylinders are cheap. replace it and move on;

https://www.ebay.com/b/Brake-Wheel-Cylinders-Parts-for-2007-Toyota-Tacoma/33571/bn_93012119?maspect=contextType%3ACAR_AND_TRUCK&rt=nc&_sop=15

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
crazy.gif
I take it your car has OEM pads, rotors and brake fluid?

Honestly $40 v $20 is a no brainer for OEM. I agree with you on not buying OEM parts if they are a lot more expensive than the aftermarket, but not all OEM parts are like that. I'd call another dealership or find one online.

Pads and rotors are OEM. Brake fluid isn't (I drained and replaced about 6 years ago), and the shoes aren't (I had them replaced at Sears a couple of years ago).

I don't believe the shoes I had put on at Sears are lasting as well as the stock ones did. I didn't have to think about replacing those until the truck had about 170K or more.

I'd buy the OEM Wheel Cylinder and at the very least, just replace the Rubber Boot.
Try and find the Part No and look online for better price / try different Dealer.

I saw my Tail-Pipe Bracket was disintegrating, and bought 'after-market'.
It cost me $10.00 and just wasn't as nice as OEM, plus I had to use a bunch of Washers as spacers.
It looked like a butchered job.
------------------------------------------------
I then bought OEM and was glad I did.

If the $18.99 Auto Zone part isn't as good, add that price to the $41.00 OEM.

Last edited:
Years ago we got a rebuild kit, honed it out on the vehicle and installed the new rubbers, they still make the kits but for $40 ea for new cylinders its not worth it just use OE parts.

many parts are sourced from the best price that meets the spec + most OE parts are outsourced. its not big money but times aftermarket is actually better for less $$$. i do agree brakes are critical thats why i used EBC rotors + pads on my 2011 fronty instead of OE

Just replace the wheel cylinder. I would never consider an OEM wheel cylinder. Its a simple part and hard to screw up and I never had an issue with any aftermarket wheel cylinder.

Last edited:
you might be able to buy a rebuild kit and just use the boots that are part of the kit; call a few parts stores and you might get lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back