2018 Buick TourX vs 2018 Volvo V60 CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
The TourX won't be around long. It's brand new and it's already a dead model-IMHO. They are going to sell in VERY LIMITED NUMBERS. Then Buick will pull the plug on them.

It's a model no one asked for-or wants.

I have never been at a social function when somebody said "I sure wish Buick would make a sport station wagon"..........

Nailed it ^^^

Left over 2018 TourXs are all about $10,000 off MSRP at a local dealer I'm seeing. I'd take one over any generic crossover right now.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by CKN
The TourX won't be around long. It's brand new and it's already a dead model-IMHO. They are going to sell in VERY LIMITED NUMBERS. Then Buick will pull the plug on them.

It's a model no one asked for-or wants.

I have never been at a social function when somebody said "I sure wish Buick would make a sport station wagon"..........

Nailed it ^^^

This is not just the TourX...

The combined sales for January for Volkswagen Golf (Hatch + Alltrack + SportWagen) where around 1,700

The wagon is dying in the US... Also the car... In favor of SUV/CUV.

Originally Posted by MI_Roger
Originally Posted by CKN

That is a concern that I didn't include in my original message. Note that I am asking about 2018 MY vehicles in both choices, and the Buick Dealers seem to have far too many 2018 versions of these cars. This over abundance explains the $16k discounts
GM is offering on these!

The Buick is built by Opel in Russelsheim Germany. GM no longer owns Opel having sold it to PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, et al), so where will new Buicks come from? China like the Envision? South Korea like the Encore?

Everyone who has seen the TourX is intrigued by it, but like many posters in this string most people have no idea what it is or even know if they have seen one. Maybe because so many haven't left the Dealer's Lots.

I just remember something:
I don't remember (HA) seeing any commercial for the TourX. So most people don't know about it.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by CKN

That is a concern that I didn't include in my original message. Note that I am asking about 2018 MY vehicles in both choices, and the Buick Dealers seem to have far too many 2018 versions of these cars. This over abundance explains the $16k discounts
GM is offering on these!

The Buick is built by Opel in Russelsheim Germany. GM no longer owns Opel having sold it to PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, et al), so where will new Buicks come from? China like the Envision? South Korea like the Encore?

Everyone who has seen the TourX is intrigued by it, but like many posters in this string most people have no idea what it is or even know if they have seen one. Maybe because so many haven't left the Dealer's Lots.

I just remember something:
I don't remember (HA) seeing any commercial for the TourX. So most people don't know about it.

If anybody considering a TourX does any research at all-they will come to the conclusion it's a "dead model rolling". If somebody does buy one-the depreciation will be massive.

I've read a few reviews of each, haven't sat in or driven either. Sitting in and driving them might make the winner obvious.
But, anyway, let's have some fun...

If I'm buying a wagon-type vehicle, I probably want the bigger one. Especially if my other cars are all smaller.
Both will probably depreciate like a rock. But, maybe the TourX won't be so bad after it gets more known since it's a unique model from a mainstream brand.
If all else is equal, new car is better than used car.
T6 and Polestar V60 should be noticeably faster, but those are the more expensive models.
TourX is pretty quick.

Both cars have rarity.
It's fun having a Volvo and people say, "Volvo? Nice."
It's fun having a car that people say, "What's that?" (TourX)

Winner without having driven either: TourX.

Originally Posted by pandus13

The wagon is dying in the US...

Sort of. I mean, people can call things like the Ford Flex and Subaru Outback "crossovers" if they want, but it's splitting hairs between "crossover" and "station wagon."

And maybe in another 10 years we'll have completely-wagon wagons back since younger drivers buying a new car won't want an uncool crossover or SUV like their parents had.

The 2019 JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Study rankings were released this week. Buick is in the Top 5 whereas Volvo is in the Bottom 3.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The 2019 JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Study rankings were released this week. Buick is in the Top 5 whereas Volvo is in the Bottom 3.

[Linked Image]

The volume is VERY LOW-
Buick was hit pretty hard by these trends, with sales down by 13.7 percent in Q4 2018. In the last three months of the year, Buick delivered a total of 51,257 vehicles, compared to the 59,401 models it sold during the same period in 2017.

https://thenewswheel.com/buick-look...shes-2018-with-a-5-6-percent-sales-loss/

I would hope at the low volume they would be put together well........

Their biggest seller is a very small "Cute Ute".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
When the sales numbers fall, manufacturers look for various ways to cut cost and reduce their operating expenses, so the opposite may be true.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CKN
When the sales numbers fall, manufacturers look for various ways to cut cost and reduce their operating expenses, so the opposite may be true.

There are certainly more left-over 2018 TourX vehicles on Dealer's lots than 2019 versions. And we are in the last half of the 2019 model year!

Is this because of Buyers' aversion to buying or leasing a brand new but year old car?. Or because the 2018's sold so poorly that Dealers ordered very few 2019's?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CKN

There are certainly more left-over 2018 TourX vehicles on Dealer's lots than 2019 versions. And we are in the last half of the 2019 model year!

Is this because of Buyers' aversion to buying or leasing a brand new but year old car?. Or because the 2018's sold so poorly that Dealers ordered very few 2019's?

The big question to this is if Peugeot is going to continue making this vehicle then.

I guess I have to get out more. I didn't know the Buick TourX existed prior to this thread!!

Very cool looking car. Did GM advertise or try to market this thing at all?

Originally Posted by JTK
I guess I have to get out more. I didn't know the Buick TourX existed prior to this thread!!

Very cool looking car. Did GM advertise or try to market this thing at all?

No, Nope, just few online articles...

I have a Cadillac, Buick, GMC dealer just a few miles away. They show ONE TourX in stock and it's MSRP is over $40K. It's a 2019.

[Linked Image]

Personally, I don't trust J.D. Power and I don't believe much of anything that they say. They are 100% paid and supported by big companies, and they give made-up "awards" to anybody that pays for them. They claim to get their information by doing customer surveys, but I have never been surveyed by them, nor has anyone else that I know.
Notice that they are careful to use the word "dependability" rather than "reliability". The two words have similar meanings but they are also fundamentally different, S.I. Hayakawa says this...
"Reliable suggests competence and consistency: A reliable judge is one who has a record of sound opinions. A reliable person can be counted on to do what he has promised or been told to do: a reliable baby sitter.When applied to things, reliable means adequate, serviceable, or true; a reference book, for example, might be called reliable if the information it presents is accurate. Dependable is akin to reliable, but is a little more subjective; reliable is often used of relationships based on service between superiors and inferiors, whereas dependable more often suggests an attitude of personal allegiance rather than one of honesty or scrupulosity in the performance of a duty. One goes to a dependable person confident of receiving loyalty, support, or aid: a dependable ally. When applied to things, dependable suggests stability and consistency of performance: a dependable drug."
In other words, "dependability " is more subjective than "reliability" which is more fact based. Also, notice in their disclaimer that they say "Rankings are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance". These are the sort of carefully worded statements that can be expected from a company that is in the business of releasing information such as this FOR PROFIT.

Originally Posted by wag123

[Linked Image]

Personally, I don't trust J.D. Power and I don't believe much of anything that they say. They are 100% paid and supported by big companies, and they give made-up "awards" to anybody that pays for them. They claim to get their information by doing customer surveys, but I have never been surveyed by them, nor has anyone else that I know.
Notice that they are careful to use the word "dependability" rather than "reliability". The two words have similar meanings but they are also fundamentally different, S.I. Hayakawa says this...
"Reliable suggests competence and consistency: A reliable judge is one who has a record of sound opinions. A reliable person can be counted on to do what he has promised or been told to do: a reliable baby sitter.When applied to things, reliable means adequate, serviceable, or true; a reference book, for example, might be called reliable if the information it presents is accurate. Dependable is akin to reliable, but is a little more subjective; reliable is often used of relationships based on service between superiors and inferiors, whereas dependable more often suggests an attitude of personal allegiance rather than one of honesty or scrupulosity in the performance of a duty. One goes to a dependable person confident of receiving loyalty, support, or aid: a dependable ally. When applied to things, dependable suggests stability and consistency of performance: a dependable drug."
In other words, "dependability " is more subjective than "reliability" which is more fact based. Also, notice in their disclaimer that they say "Rankings are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance". These are the sort of carefully worded statements that can be expected from a company that is in the business of releasing information such as this FOR PROFIT.

I get where you are coming from-and don't really know the accuracy of your statements. With that being said-if you look at the bottom of the survey, those brands are notoriously unreliable. So there is some truth in their survey-at least in the bottom rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back