Nordman WR SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the opportunity to use these tires for almost 2 weeks on our insurance rental which just went back. The tires were fitted on a 2018 Hyundai Tucson AWD.

All I can say about these is wow, these are by far the best tires I have ever used in the winter. Almost impossible to make them skid or slide.

I've had many different winter tires over the years, and quite I few of them I've considered excellent. But these just blow them all out of the water for performance. And from what I gather, this is an "all weather" tire.

Wondering how many Nokian tire users out there have the same to say compared to the others out there. I would imagine if their all weather tire is that good, their dedicated winter tires would be even better, and that their Nokian line would theoretically be even better than the Nordman line.

Interestingly, in North America, they market this tire as all weather, but the Finnish site markets this as a winter tire.

Last edited:
This is classified as a winter tire, not an all weather tire according to their website.

Considering that Nordman is economy brand of Nokian (old(er) models made in Russian factory - per my understanding) the Nokians are very likely better (or maybe just better rounded tires).

"I've had many different winter tires over the years, and quite I few of them I've considered excellent."

What winter tires did you have before?

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by weebl
We had the opportunity to use these tires for almost 2 weeks on our insurance rental which just went back. The tires were fitted on a 2018 Hyundai Tucson AWD.

All I can say about these is wow, these are by far the best tires I have ever used in the winter. Almost impossible to make them skid or slide.

I've had many different winter tires over the years, and quite I few of them I've considered excellent. But these just blow them all out of the water for performance. And from what I gather, this is an "all weather" tire.

Wondering how many Nokian tire users out there have the same to say compared to the others out there. I would imagine if their all weather tire is that good, their dedicated winter tires would be even better, and that their Nokian line would theoretically be even better than the Nordman line.

Interestingly, in North America, they market this tire as all weather, but the Finnish site markets this as a winter tire.

It is recent arrival and offered as cheaper substitution for Nokian Hakka line up.
It is popular here, but their performance on dry is abysmal to the point where there is actually physical damage. Tire is made for cold, and snowy areas like Russia. Warm temperatures are really not their thing (It is not a thing among any winter tire, but theese are pushing it). People because of Nokian hype were fitting them on cars where they really do not belong, where car performance is at much higher level than Nordman tires can support. That leads to chipped tires etc.
Good tire if budget is an issue. But, there are better performers out there.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Considering that Nordman is economy brand of Nokian (old(er) models made in Russian factory - per my understanding) the Nokians are very likely better (or maybe just better rounded tires).

"I've had many different winter tires over the years, and quite I few of them I've considered excellent."

KrzyÅ›

The van that has just been written off have had the following tires on it, from most recent, to the oldest. I've noted whether I thought they were good or poor:

- Continental ExtremeWinterContact: good
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3: poor
- General Altimax Arctic: good
- Canadian Tire Nordic IceTrac (North American made rebrand of Kleber KrisAlp): good

On other vehicles, I've had:

- Canadian Tire / Cooper Winter Edge (2018 Tiguan): good
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (2014 Passat): poor
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (2003 Golf): good, from a snow/ice traction perspective, but nothing great otherwise
- Kumho I'zen KW-11 (2002 Protege): neither good nor bad
- Canadian Tire Nordic IceTrac (1993 Honda Civic): good

From the list above, the best three I would say have been the ExtremeWinterContact, Winter Edge and Altimax Arctic.

These Nordman tires seem to be even better.

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is recent arrival and offered as cheaper substitution for Nokian Hakka line up.
It is popular here, but their performance on dry is abysmal to the point where there is actually physical damage. Tire is made for cold, and snowy areas like Russia. Warm temperatures are really not their thing (It is not a thing among any winter tire, but theese are pushing it). People because of Nokian hype were fitting them on cars where they really do not belong, where car performance is at much higher level than Nordman tires can support. That leads to chipped tires etc.
Good tire if budget is an issue. But, there are better performers out there.

They've definitely been in there element here, then. The entire time I've used them, the temperatures have rarely gone above -20C/-4F. Some light snow, but mostly packed snow, very little bare pavement. And much of that packed snow has glare ice on top.

It's been an exceptionally long cold snap, but really not too far from a typical winter here, just a bit colder than usual.

I test drove a used Impreza a few years ago when we were looking for a car for our daughter and it had a new set of Nordmans on it. This was in the fall and it was an experience driving that car in mild weather, it was extremely loud and the tires felt really mushy. I thought I was having a hard time braking because of the tires, but I eventually figured out that there was something actually wrong with the car, too.
These tires were studdable, not sure if that is true of the entire line of Nordmans.
I'm actually not madly in love with my Hakkapeliitta R2 SUVs, but even they are head and shoulder above those Nordmans as far as driving in sorta warm weather. I suppose the Nordmans could have been the bomb on snow, I would never know.

That is quite long list of winter tires.

Do you remember what you dislike about XIce Xi3? They are rather good in MA weather.

Mentioning the weather, where in Canada do you drive? Maybe it is your location that causes you to like tires that you do?

KrzyÅ›

Do you remember what you dislike about XIce Xi3? They are rather good in MA weather.

Mentioning the weather, where in Canada do you drive? Maybe it is your location that causes you to like tires that you do?

KrzyÅ›

Xi3 generally are not well liked by people who deal with a lot of slush and deep snow.
Truth is, their tread is very dense, unlike in Xi2. But, IMO, they make it up in ice, dry, wet etc. But for areas where it snows 89 out of 90 days, definitely there are better tires than Xi3.
I would say it is personal application.

I know your opinion edyvw ;-)
I suspect that it exactly the case but it does not hurt to get more info.

My middle daughter got Xi3 (she is in MA too) and no complaints so far, except her Honda Accord does not climb hills as good as her former "hand me down" Legacy GT (with Xi2) ;-)

KrzyÅ›

I know your opinion edyvw ;-)
I suspect that it exactly the case but it does not hurt to get more info.

My middle daughter got Xi3 (she is in MA too) and no complaints so far, except her Honda Accord does not climb hills as good as her former "hand me down" Legacy GT (with Xi2) ;-)

KrzyÅ›

Well, in the end of the day, Xi3 is winter tire. It will do much better than any all season tire, so that is why people like them, plus they do behave like all season in dry and last long.
But, I am personally still skeptical about their slush performance although Xi2 I have on Sienna and had on X5 never had issue in slush.

Nordman 5 studded on my 2016 F150 right now for winter. I bought them used from Kijiji with rims from a fellow who sold his 2013 truck and the studs are quite worn out, but I wasn't gunning for studded anyway. They work well and maintain reasonable grip. They seem to wear well and work just fine in dry conditions. They've been on since October and we didn't get any significant snow until January so I can attest to their dry performance. This is in a 265/70R17 size, so they have the "optional" more open tread pattern. We have had Nokian Hakka Rsi's (version 1 and now version 2) on our Sienna since 2005 and would rate the Nordman 5s very close to equal in performance. We'll see about longevity in the next few years. They look like this but with studs:

Capture.JPG

Originally Posted by weebl

KrzyÅ›

The van that has just been written off have had the following tires on it, from most recent, to the oldest. I've noted whether I thought they were good or poor:

- Continental ExtremeWinterContact: good
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3: poor
- General Altimax Arctic: good
- Canadian Tire Nordic IceTrac (North American made rebrand of Kleber KrisAlp): good

On other vehicles, I've had:

- Canadian Tire / Cooper Winter Edge (2018 Tiguan): good
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (2014 Passat): poor
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (2003 Golf): good, from a snow/ice traction perspective, but nothing great otherwise
- Kumho I'zen KW-11 (2002 Protege): neither good nor bad
- Canadian Tire Nordic IceTrac (1993 Honda Civic): good

From the list above, the best three I would say have been the ExtremeWinterContact, Winter Edge and Altimax Arctic.

These Nordman tires seem to be even better.
You are officially a snow tire expert. Bravo!

Nordman 5 is the best tire I've used to date.
Conti Altimax Artic is a close second. The quietest tire on the highway.
Blizzaks are excellent in slush and snow but lousy on anything else.

This Tuesday I drove up some serious hills in Stowe VT with 5-6" of fresh snow. The Altimax Artics on the 240 sedan (rear wheel drive) handled it all.

Sam

nordman is Nokian's brand for milking out older tires.

Much like General winter tires in the US, is Continental's way of milking old Gislaved winter tires.

The Nordman WR SUV is basically the old WR G2 SUV.which was a winter tire in Europe and All-weather in the US/Canada.

The Nordman WR is the old WR G2

Nordman RS2 is the old Hakkapeliitta R

Nordman 7 is the old Hakkapeliitta 7

http://www.nordmantyres.com/tyres/winter-tyres

Last edited:
Exactly. Running a set of Nordman 7 this year. Great tires. Almost half the price of the Hakka. I give up a bit of dry/ice traction, but are actually noticeably better snow traction than the R2 I had previously.

KrzyÅ›

Yes, many cars and many kms over the years. Winter tires are necessary if you want to be able to drive properly in winter around here.

I live in Edmonton. Our winters tend to be long and cold, lots of ice and packed snow, and snowfalls generally only a few inches at a time, except for a few big dumps over the entire winter. Occasionally, it goes over freezing for a while, which gives slushy conditions.

It could be the temperatures being quite cold, but the irony is, despite their name, I find their ice traction to be the worst of any tire I've used. Lots of wheel spin starting off from a stop, and ABS kicking in lots when stopping. This was on two completely different vehicles I had them installed on. And I bought them based on my in-law's X-Ice 2 on their van, which felt a lot better than the 3s.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
nordman is Nokian's brand for milking out older tires.

Much like General winter tires in the US, is Continental's way of milking old Gislaved winter tires.

The Nordman WR SUV is basically the old WR G2 SUV.which was a winter tire in Europe and All-weather in the US/Canada.

The Nordman WR is the old WR G2

Nordman RS2 is the old Hakkapeliitta R

Nordman 7 is the old Hakkapeliitta 7

http://www.nordmantyres.com/tyres/winter-tyres

Good to know. I've found the recycled Gislaved designs under the General banner to be great, despite being an old design, and it looks like the same thing with the Nordman line for old Nokian designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back