VW Atlas V6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zeng
Originally Posted by TWsVW
The manual says every 10k miles, if I'm using the right oil? I just don't understand the differences between the manual (VW 502 00) and the factory advisory sticker (VW 504 00). VW 502 00 oils seem to be the norm, but VW 504 00 seems to provide better wear protection. 0W-30 is specified in both the manual and the advisory sticker, but I haven't seen any 0W-30's that are VW 504 00 approved (all seem to be 5W-30). The manual says that the factory filled was SAE 0W-30, so I think I'll just go with Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4 (VW 502 00) on the new engine for now and have the oil analyzed at some point. Just wish VW would clear-up the confusion...there are some Technical Bulletins out there for the Atlas, but I just don't have access:

2052987/1 17-18-02TT - Engine Oil Type and Viscosity Change for New Model Year

2012855/19 17-18-05 - Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only)

TW

VW 50400 is variable service long life oils which OEM does recommend for 30,000 km for vehicles with service indicator, which yours does.
VW 50200 is for fixed service for 15,000 km (9300 miles).
Your FF of 0W30 is likely a VW 50400, not VW 50200 as I understand it.
Since you're not considering 18,000 miles or thereabout , you may deselect higher spec'ed VW 50400 which is pricey with availability issue.
At 10,000 miles OCI, your selection of VW 50200 is appropriate and value for money, whatever oil brands.
Edge 0W30 A3B4 VW 50200 would do the job, but I'm biased towards a VW 50200 that carries a C3 (whether 0W30 or 5W30 in your context) just as a VW 50400 is always a C3.

Be aware since I saw you are mentioning variable service intervals before. There is NO SUCH thing as variable intervals in the US, regarding of which specification is used in which car. ALL VW vehicles were always on 10k interval (miles) in more than a decade, and VW504.00/507.00 were never on variable interval here.
Variable intervals are strictly determined by market conditions.

Originally Posted by edyvw
VW 50400 is variable service long life oils which OEM does recommend for 30,000 km for vehicles with service indicator, which yours does.
Since you're not considering 18,000 miles or thereabout , you may deselect higher spec'ed VW 50400 which is pricey with availability issue.
At 10,000 miles OCI, your selection of VW 50200 is appropriate and value for money, whatever oil brands.
Edge 0W30 A3B4 VW 50200 would do the job, but I'm biased towards a VW 50200 that carries a C3 (whether 0W30 or 5W30 in your context) just as a VW 50400 is always a C3.

Be aware since I saw you are mentioning variable service intervals before. There is NO SUCH thing as variable intervals in the US, regarding of which specification is used in which car. ALL VW vehicles were always on 10k interval (miles) in more than a decade, and VW504.00/507.00 were never on variable interval here.

Keyword: "in the US"
Nonetheless VW 50400 > Variable Service > Long Life oils.

Edit: Add VW 50400

Last edited:

Keyword: "in the US"
Nonetheless VW 50400 > Variable Service > Long Life oils.

Edit: Add VW 50400

It is NOT only US, but yes, this is US forum.
VW 505.01 was also on variable service in VW 1.9 tdi (PD) engines in Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland etc. In countries like Czech Republic, Poland etc. it was on fixed interval. Everything depends on driving conditions, access to ULSD or ULSG etc. I worked on development of VW504.00/507.00 oil. It is oil! There is nothing in that oil that makes it specifically made to variable services. That service is based on conditions present in the specific country. VW505.01 after two years of being variable service was moved to fixed service in countries that I mentioned due to camshaft and turbo issues on 1.9 engines.

In our brand new 2016 Passat SEL Premium 3.6L VR6 I am using VW 502.00 approved Euro Castrol 0W-30 (aka German or Belgium) and Bulgarian-made Mahle filters with 5K OCIs without any hesitation whatsoever. My wife drives the car 4K miles per month, 95% of it long distance, 70mph+ highway miles. And, yes, that means I will be changing the oil and filter every 5 or 6 weeks.

FWIW,

Scott

PS Yes, we actually bought a brand new, 154 mile old 2016 Passat on December 28 2018!

^^^Why not do some UOAs and see if that is really necessary...for highway cruising that seems way excessive.

I think this "crazy" oil recommendation from VW are a result of particle filters installed on gasoline power cars starting with MY19. This is possibly coming from VAG and VoA is just doing copy- paste.
Anybody can confirm if new cars for US market have these filters installed?

^^^Interesting, I'm sure that bulletin has the info...interested folks should really just swing by their local VW dealer and talk to the service department, I'm sure they will share this with you.

Originally Posted by a2gtinut
I think this "crazy" oil recommendation from VW are a result of particle filters installed on gasoline power cars starting with MY19. This is possibly coming from VAG and VoA is just doing copy- paste.

No, low-saps oils are in use in Europe before GPF was even considered. Low-saps oils in conjunction with ulsg extend life of even simple emission equipment and have positive effect on CBU. VR6 does not have issue with CBU, but VR6 is exception as naturally aspirated engines in that class are rare today in Europe.

GPF is not used in the United States.

The answer is just use a regular ol' 502 oil like Castrol/Mobil 1/Liqui-Moly...

Low-saps oils in conjunction with ulsg extend life of even simple emission equipment and have positive effect on CBU.

Right. Instead of failing/clogging/sticking/whatever rather quickly, the various emissions-related bits last somewhat longer. Unfortunately in many cases, not nearly long enough. Got warranty?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

This is maybe why VWoA is telling everybody to use new spec oils by using infor from VAG but forgetting about GPF not present.
some MY19 cars sold in Europe/Germany have GPF(whatever is called)
"
as a temporary measure (hence Euro 6d-TEMP), petrol cars can emit 126 mg/km while tested on the road, diesel cars 168 mg/km. By 2020, when Euro 6d takes effect, the allowed deviation between RDE and WLTP is reduced to 50 percent. Petrol cars must then stay below 90 mg/km, diesel cars are to keep their NOx emissions under 120 mg/km.
"

Originally Posted by UberArchetype
Low-saps oils in conjunction with ulsg extend life of even simple emission equipment and have positive effect on CBU.

Right. Instead of failing/clogging/sticking/whatever rather quickly, the various emissions-related bits last somewhat longer. Unfortunately in many cases, not nearly long enough. Got warranty?

All Europe moved to these Low-SAPS oils. VR6 is developed during era of VW502.00, but generally all engines moved in VW stable in Europe to VW504.00/507.00 because of very good gas.
In US, problem was high sulfur gas that had negative effect on TBN. But, EPA moved to ULSG, at least on average, though local gas station somehwere in Iowa might still have high sulfur gas.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

This is maybe why VWoA is telling everybody to use new spec oils by using infor from VAG but forgetting about GPF not present.
some MY19 cars sold in Europe/Germany have GPF(whatever is called)
"
as a temporary measure (hence Euro 6d-TEMP), petrol cars can emit 126 mg/km while tested on the road, diesel cars 168 mg/km. By 2020, when Euro 6d takes effect, the allowed deviation between RDE and WLTP is reduced to 50 percent. Petrol cars must then stay below 90 mg/km, diesel cars are to keep their NOx emissions under 120 mg/km.
"

European manufacturers moved their vehicles to Low-SAPS oil before Euro V, not to mention Euro VI and WLTP.

Technical Tip

Topic 17-18-02TT - Engine Oil Type and Viscosity Change for New Model Year
Market United States 444 Volkswagen of America, Inc. (6444)
Brand Volkswagen
Date November 16, 2018

Technical Background

Applicable engine oil type has changed from the previous model year.

Service

"For the 2019 Atlas equipped with either the 2.0L (DCGA) or 3.6L (CDVC), the applicable oil type and viscosity has changed since the previous model year. To prevent any confusion or incorrect usage during an oil change or topping off the crankcase oil, refer to the under hood sticker (shown below) for type and viscosity. Additional applicable oils of this type and viscosity can also be found in Technical Bulletin 2012855 (V171805)."

Under Hood Sticker: "Engine Oil - Use only oil that expressly complies with SAE 0W-30 & VW 504 00" [701 010 043K]

Technical Bulletin 2012855 (V171805)

"Engine Oils Which Meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards (U.S. Only) VW 504 00/VW 507 00":

AVERNO LL Professional SAE 0W-30
Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III SAE 0W-30
DAB Super-Universal Longlife III SAE 0W-30
De Oliebron Tor Extendo SAE 0W-30
Elf Evolution Full-Tech LLX SAE 0W-30
Eni i-Sint Tech VK SAE 0W-30
Eurol Syntence FS SAE 0W-30
Lukoil Genesis Special VN SAE 0W-30
MAN Genuine Oil Vivax 504.00/507.00 SAE 0W-30
Masteroil C-Tec Power Special Longlife III SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 ESP SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 ESP X1 SAE 0W-30
MOL Dynamic Gold Longlife SAE 0W-30
Motorex Profile V-XL SAE 0W-30
Motul Expert V SAE 0W-30
Motul Specific 504 00 507 00 SAE 0W-30
Muxx X600 LL III SAE 0W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX SAE 0W-30
Raloy Syn-Tec Platinum SAE 0W-30
Repsol Elite Long Life SAE 0W-30
Rowe Hightec Multi Synt DPF SAE 0W-30Shell Helix HX8 ECT SAE 0W-30
Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2 C3 SAE 0W-30
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L SAE 0W-30
Sinopec Justar J700F Super SAE 0W-30
SK Lubricants ZIC TOP SAE 0W-30
Total Quartz INEO Longlife SAE 0W-30
Transmational Blenders Motor Oil Longlife-III Synthetic SAE 0W-30
Valvoline SynPower XL-III C3 SAE 0W-30
Vapsoil 507 00 SAE 0W-30
Volkswagen Original Teile Longlife III FE SAE 0W-30

The manuals for the 2018's with the V6 are full of double speak but do stress 0w30, but as written in VW 502 (which are not very common). I suspected the factory fill was actually a VW 504 0w30 and the above post would further cause one to think so. VW 504's don't exactly grow on every tree around here either.

Sticker under the hood is the biggest qualifier, on mine it is labeled VW 502 VW 504 but I understand Atlas may be marked just VW 504.

I'd suspect 9 out of 10 dealers would still do the OCI with bulk VW 502 in 5w40 but maybe I am one of too little faith in the dealers to be paying attention to this. I did run into one longtime VW tech on line that was adamant ALL the 2018's and newer got the VW 508 0w20. Not correct and a bit scary, not thinking a VR6 would do well on 0w20. Definitely scares me off dealer oil changes, but I am a DIY'er for oil anyway.

Based on the above list, not much in the way of choice for 0W-30 504/507 here in the U.S. Outside of VW oil, you only have 4 choices: Castrol, Motul, Pennzoil, and Mobil 1, all of them being difficult to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back