Rotella T6 15w40 not 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched but did not see this anywhere. When did T6 become available in 15w40 as well as 5w40?
I can't find it on their website either.

Can someone point me to some information on it?

15w40.jpg

Last edited:
Looks similar to the RP Duralec Super & Ultra 15W40 (the Ultra is CI-4+ AFAIK), but the T6 15W40 has a HIGhER pour point -39 vs -49). It will be interesting to see if this new T6 turns out to be less shear-prone that it's 5W40 brother.

Viscosity index is at 146, I was expecting less.
I hope Molakule, SonOfJoe and other knowledgeable people post some thoughts on this oil.

Same price as 5w40 T6?

I'd like this in my tractor. Apparently Kubota Corporate doesn't like 5w40 used in hot weather.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Same price as 5w40 T6?

I'd like this in my tractor. Apparently Kubota Corporate doesn't like 5w40 used in hot weather.
confused.gif

It was the same price as T6 5w40.

Originally Posted by LotI
T6 15w-40

This might be the unicorn tears oil we motorcyclists have been yearning for!

OP, where did you see it?

I noticed the flash point of this T6 15W40 249C listed here, is considerably higher than what you usually see from other 15W40 / 5W40's from Delo, Delvac and Rotella. Data sheets usually list flash points in the 215C - 235C range.

What can be concluded from this? Do you believe there is a higher than normal PAO percentage in this oil? If so, as others have said, this could be a great motorcycle or generator oil. Also, is there any way to calculate the HTHS?

It being a full synthetic 15W-40 indicates to me that it most likely has thicker base oil mix than the 5W-40 version does, which naturally gives it a higher flashpoint, lower volatility, and less VIIs. Less VIIs will give it more shear stability, assuming they use the same type of VIIs.

Hopefully this makes its way to other Walmarts. This could be a good alternative to 20W-50 racing oils for hot rod or other older low-tech race engines. By low tech I mean standard port or carb injection, no variable cam timing, etc.

I saw the 5w40, 0w40, and 10w30 Rotella jugs at the local Wally this morning.
I filed their memories away along with the fake chrome electric griddles.
No doubt, all the above are Green Deal approved.
I'll stick to my 0w40 Scamzoilz + clean coal Weber Summit smoker.

Originally Posted by JAG
It being a full synthetic 15W-40 indicates to me that it most likely has thicker base oil mix than the 5W-40 version does, which naturally gives it a higher flashpoint, lower volatility, and less VIIs. Less VIIs will give it more shear stability, assuming they use the same type of VIIs.

Is it a Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend?

20190219_121829.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back