Use MB229.51/2 for 229.5 application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil experts:
So, I traded my wife's 2011 E350 BlueTec turbo diesel for a gas BMW.
I have some MB229.51 and 229.52 oil in the stash (5W-30).
Could I use it, for instance, in the 99 CLK320?
Looking at the Lubrizol chart, the SAPS seems to be the only problem.

Maybe for a short run?

Or in the Ford?

Thanks.

Gas quality in the U.S. is no longer a concern (sulfur level) so you can use it no problem. 229.51 and 229.52 are fine... and they are what's recommended for gas MBs elsewhere around the world.

I have some PP Euro L 5W-30 that is SN rated.

I have 6q's of MB 229.51 which have no other ratings on the bottles. Makes sense since it is intended for only one spec.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Gas quality in the U.S. is no longer a concern (sulfur level) so you can use it no problem. 229.51 and 229.52 are fine... and they are what's recommended for gas MBs elsewhere around the world.

Is that 100% sure at this date?
I thought low sulphur was an option that some fuel dealers were not adopting yet?
Hope it is true.

I thought the consensus was that it was ok to use, but 229.5 is better for gas engine. Just don't run it for the full 10k, maybe just do 5k and it should be fine.

Originally Posted by IllinoisSparky

I thought low sulphur was an option that some fuel dealers were not adopting yet?
Hope it is true.

Old news as of 1/1/2017, federal law

Originally Posted by LotI

Hope it is true.

Old news as of 1/1/2017, federal law

It is average. That means that in one spot (California and other CARB states) you might have low sulfur gas, but in Nebraska higher levels. If average is there, it is fine.

Hope it is true.

Fuel dealers have to have average. It depends where in IL. I would run with no worry MB 229.51/52. If engine is direct injection, cut OCI a bit. If it is port injection, run regular OCI.

Just keep in mind - 229.51 and 229.52 have lower detergents and ZDDP content, they are less of an additive rich oil. It is not the CLK320 99 spec.
If you like spirited or sports driving I would not use them at more than 3k OCI. If you only occasionally push it, you're probably OK, a shorter OCI would be in order.
Just a couple of tanks of bad fuel is enough to exhaust the .51 and .52 oils acid neutralizing capability(TBN), per east euro forums, where we get poor fuel despite of regulations.

Originally Posted by DrDanger
Just keep in mind - 229.51 and 229.52 have lower detergents and ZDDP content, they are less of an additive rich oil. It is not the CLK320 99 spec.
If you like spirited or sports driving I would not use them at more than 3k OCI. If you only occasionally push it, you're probably OK, a shorter OCI would be in order.
Just a couple of tanks of bad fuel is enough to exhaust the .51 and .52 oils acid neutralizing capability(TBN), per east euro forums, where we get poor fuel despite of regulations.

Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by DrDanger

Good to know. Thanks.

Oil experts:
So, I traded my wife's 2011 E350 BlueTec turbo diesel for a gas BMW.
I have some MB229.51 and 229.52 oil in the stash (5W-30).
Could I use it, for instance, in the 99 CLK320?
Looking at the Lubrizol chart, the SAPS seems to be the only problem.

Maybe for a short run?

Or in the Ford?

Thanks.

OK to use but not for a long OCI. With long oci's it tends to sludge. Wouldn't go over 5k.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Hope it is true.

Fuel dealers have to have average. It depends where in IL. I would run with no worry MB 229.51/52. If engine is direct injection, cut OCI a bit. If it is port injection, run regular OCI.

The oci for his CLK is 10k miles and you don't want to run a 51/52 oil that long in a gas engine. It sludges. MB had a big problem with dealers using 51/52 oil in everything and gas engines sludging at the 10k oci's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back