idemitsu oil

Hello,

What is the communities thoughts on idemitsu oil. I had never heard of it before finding this website.

I accidently grabbed the Idemitsu 0w20 jug and dumped it in wifey's beloved 2006 TSX (180K).
The TSX calls for 5w30; I generally use 5w20.
Man the TSX loves the Idemitsu blend!

I also use Idemitsu ATF in place of Honda DW-1 and Toyletta WS.
Good stuff.

If you can get it at a good price, use with confidence. I scored 40ish quarts a few years ago when Advance Auto clearanced their stock. That'll provide a few years worth of changes for the Mazda.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Hello,

What is the communities thoughts on idemitsu oil. I had never heard of it before finding this website.

It's good oil with a rather confusing marketing strategy for it's various different lines. Idemitsu is a major Japanese brand that has been in business for a long time, although it's only recently that it's really been available in the US.

That said, it's also not unicorn snot. Don't overpay for it, there's lots of other oils that can do the same thing it does. If a high Moly oil (Idemitsu calls their high moly Eco-Medallist) is what you're looking at, Toyota OEM oil (aka TGMO) is also excellent and generally sells for less than Idemitsu, while also being more readily available in the US. Shop around a little before you get the Idemitsu.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Toyota OEM oil (aka TGMO) is also excellent and generally sells for less than Idemitsu, while also being more readily available in the US. Shop around a little before you get the Idemitsu.

Sheet, where are you finding this? The best deal I have found on TGMO is like $80 shipped for 12 quarts from eBay (no Toyota dealers within worthwhile driving distance), or about $7.33/qt. I can buy Eco Medalist 5qt from Amazon for about $26 delivered. Considering the big changes in TGMO some of the VOAs have shown, I'd rather buy something that isn't likely to change in formulation before the the next time I buy it. If you can get it for less than $5/qt delivered and you live near a Toyota dealer, it may be a worthwhile purchase.

Or you can make it easier and cheaper and buy Mobil Super Synthetic. It's practically the same oil. Mobil makes TGMO for the North America market.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Toyota OEM oil (aka TGMO) is also excellent and generally sells for less than Idemitsu, while also being more readily available in the US. Shop around a little before you get the Idemitsu.

Sheet, where are you finding this? The best deal I have found on TGMO is like $80 shipped for 12 quarts from eBay (no Toyota dealers within worthwhile driving distance), or about $7.33/qt. I can buy Eco Medalist 5qt from Amazon for about $26 delivered. Considering the big changes in TGMO some of the VOAs have shown, I'd rather buy something that isn't likely to change in formulation before the the next time I buy it. If you can get it for less than $5/qt delivered and you live near a Toyota dealer, it may be a worthwhile purchase.

Well, maybe you've found a better supplier, but the Eco Medalist 5qt I found on Amazon was $39, not $26 for 5qts. which puts it at around $8 (7.80 to be precise) a qt. Meanwhile, TGMO with free shipping on Amazon is 80 for a case of 12, which equals $6.66 a qt.

I think your math was just off on the TGMO. It's actually a really good deal for what it is.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Or you can make it easier and cheaper and buy Mobil Super Synthetic. It's practically the same oil. Mobil makes TGMO for the North America market.

AFAIK the additive packs are way different, and TGMO has a huge 700+ PPM slug of moly, which is way more than any Mobil branded oil.

Last edited:
We had a recent uoa of TGMO that had less than 100ppm of moly. They likely switched to the tri-nuclear form.

From Gokhan?

He actually said in another thread that his was old stock, and the high moly is the newer version.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Well, maybe you've found a better supplier, but the Eco Medalist 5qt I found on Amazon was $39, not $26 for 5qts. which puts it at around $8 (7.80 to be precise) a qt. Meanwhile, TGMO with free shipping on Amazon is 80 for a case of 12, which equals $6.66 a qt.

I think your math was just off on the TGMO. It's actually a really good deal for what it is.

AFAIK the additive packs are way different, and TGMO has a huge 700+ PPM slug of moly, which is way more than any Mobil branded oil.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro

There are two oils that Idemitsu oils for 0w-20 that can be confused here when purchasing. The one you want to compare with TGMO is Zepro with moly. Check the price on that one...

High Noack if I remember right. Unless you're going for their high moly version, because you're into that sort of thing, it doesn't appear to be anything special. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

On paper, their ZePro line seems to be very good.

The non-ZePro line appears to be nothing special, and is probably no better than any generic non-Dexos full synthetic.

Amazon just had the Eco Medalist 5qt on sale for $23.67 with free Prime shipping. I ordered two for my mom's ‘18 Forester, because all of my Subarus still require 5W30 or higher. Will see how it does compared to the PP 0W20 that's in there now.

I just order a case of 4 - 5q jugs (paid $32 a jug or $6.60 a quart) of the Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 Engine Oil for my new 2018 Nissan Titan XD. Since this 5.6l engine is generally known to be tough on oil (lots of gears and chains) I decided to try an oil that has a heavy Moly formulation.

For warranty reasons - I will be following the Nissan 5k OCI service schedule. I will do my first oil change coming off the factory fill this week. Should take me about 3 months to get to the next oil change at 10k miles, at that point I will send a sample in to Blackstone.

I recently saw Idemitsu & Liqui-Moly (sp?) in local auto stores. They were on a very small shelf near the ground and away from all other major brands.
Had never heard of either brands before joining bitog.

Back