Costco Gas - Very much worth the membership cost.

It's usually 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper here at Costco.

The time to go is around 8:30pm (they close at 9). I used to get off work at 8pm and would drive home and stop by Costco at 8:30 and there is pretty much no one around. It's a zoo during the day though.

Costco gas here in Wi is around 15 cents a gallon less then Kwik Trip's pricing... If you use the Costco CITI bank credit card then its another 4% off. Not bad.

Sam's Club in my area was $1.85 for regular (87) and $2.34 for premium (they price their premium at $0.49 higher). Filled up my G35's 20-gallon tank for around $35.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Linctex
There are no price savings AT ALL in Fort Worth.

Costco, Buc-ee's, Sam's and Quik Trip are all the same price.

No they are not. Costco is 10 cents less per gallon on 87 octane than QT.

Using Fort Worth as a location on gas buddy says he's right. Buc-ees actually wins by a cent over Costco. Plenty of stations the same or a couple cent higher.

This^^
Costco is rarely the cheapest in any Ohio market, but they are always among the least costly.
In terms of price, every seller has around the same cost for the fuel. Costco may save a little cost with their home-brew additive blending, but they have roughly the same cost for fuel as any other seller and the margins on fuel aren't all that great.
Therefore, if Costco is significantly cheaper than other sellers in any given market, then Costco is offering fuel as a loss leader trolling for new paying "members" while also hoping that they'll come into the store and spend money on the higher markup items offered therein.

I personally like costco for their top tier gas and the a few cents savings per gallon is also nice. Top tier gas is a huge plus if you keep your cars for a long time like me.

In central CT, our Costco is an easy 30 cents cheaper for regular; sometimes as high as 50 cents less for premium!

Right now my local CostCo has regular 87 octane at $2.99 and the ARCO/BP across the street is $3.09. That would be the best $1.70 I ever spent.
I never even thought about getting gas at CostCo, it is such a goddam zoo. I hate that place. As a social disgrace, even WalMart is preferable.
Dad gave me a CostCo card under his membership and I only go there when I absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Linctex
There are no price savings AT ALL in Fort Worth.

Costco, Buc-ee's, Sam's and Quik Trip are all the same price.

No they are not. Costco is 10 cents less per gallon on 87 octane than QT.

Using Fort Worth as a location on gas buddy says he's right. Buc-ees actually wins by a cent over Costco. Plenty of stations the same or a couple cent higher.

Maybe right when you and he posted but at the time COSTCO had it by a dime.

Costco in the Pitt area had premium at $2.659 and regular $0.30 cheaper.

Last edited:
Costco is usually the same as Sam's club here in Lincoln.Today Gas buddy has them both at $1.94,and most other stations are $2.05 to $2.15. Costco is Top tier where Sam's is not. Sam and Costco are not always the cheapest,but they are usually in the top 3 or 4 for cheapest fuel in town.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
0.94c/litre yesterday vs 1.10ish at the stations.
Couldn't do it though the lineup was at least a half hour.

You need to go there first thing in the morning to avoid those long lines. Which location are you at? Warden and Ellesmere?

Originally Posted by JC1

You need to go there first thing in the morning to avoid those long lines. Which location are you at? Warden and Ellesmere?

Yeah. WOw good guess!

Originally Posted by JC1

Yeah. WOw good guess!

I figured that was the location. Too many Lexus/Toyota drivers who can't drive properly In good weather clogging up that parking lot. At least they swtiched directions to get into the pumps. It's brutal there during daylight hours. Bring yourself a Jerry can to avoid having to go there that often.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
So I recently purchased my first warehouse member club membership at Costco ($60 for myself + spouse) for just the basic membership, for a few months never really considered using them for fuel as I did not imagine they would be much cheaper than the QT I usually fill up at. Yeah I MAJORLY regret that now - where I am at (Atlanta) CostCo even beats the price leader QT by a good 50 cents per gallon on both regular and premium and it is only maybe ~2 miles further drive than the QT I previously went to - the $8-9/tank I save on my 2x per month fill easily pays for the membership cost. It is a top tier fuel and my CostCo they must turn those tanks over regularly as the place is always a zoo unless you hit it early in the morning.

I will say my savings are based on very low mileage driving (~500/miles month MAX) so the savings could even be greater if you pile the miles on. What were regular $51-52 fillups are now $42-43 fillups once the gas light comes on, I am definitely a happy camper.

If you have a CostCo convenient to you would highly recommend price comparing. Only downside if you are one to run mid-grade is they only offer regular unleaded (87) and premium (93) at the one closest to me, I would guess other CostCo are probably similar.

In my little sliver of ATL it seems that the greatest price disparity is between Shell V-Power and Costco. It's almost always 50 cents/gal but Shell in the southeast isn't really Shell but Saudi Aramco. *shrug*

Their premium 93 is SUBSTANTIALLY less than any station here. $2.20 vs. $2.90. My car has performance software and now requires 93 plus it's Top Tier..amazing value.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by pezzy669
So I recently purchased my first warehouse member club membership at Costco ($60 for myself + spouse) for just the basic membership, for a few months never really considered using them for fuel as I did not imagine they would be much cheaper than the QT I usually fill up at. Yeah I MAJORLY regret that now - where I am at (Atlanta) CostCo even beats the price leader QT by a good 50 cents per gallon on both regular and premium and it is only maybe ~2 miles further drive than the QT I previously went to - the $8-9/tank I save on my 2x per month fill easily pays for the membership cost. It is a top tier fuel and my CostCo they must turn those tanks over regularly as the place is always a zoo unless you hit it early in the morning.

I will say my savings are based on very low mileage driving (~500/miles month MAX) so the savings could even be greater if you pile the miles on. What were regular $51-52 fillups are now $42-43 fillups once the gas light comes on, I am definitely a happy camper.

If you have a CostCo convenient to you would highly recommend price comparing. Only downside if you are one to run mid-grade is they only offer regular unleaded (87) and premium (93) at the one closest to me, I would guess other CostCo are probably similar.

In my little sliver of ATL it seems that the greatest price disparity is between Shell V-Power and Costco. It's almost always 50 cents/gal but Shell in the southeast isn't really Shell but Saudi Aramco. *shrug*

I think we've been through it before, but Shell is like most other big brand fuels. It's most likely commodity fuel, commodity oxygenate, and a proprietary additive.

Originally Posted by JC1

I figured that was the location. Too many Lexus/Toyota drivers who can't drive properly In good weather clogging up that parking lot. At least they swtiched directions to get into the pumps. It's brutal there during daylight hours. Bring yourself a Jerry can to avoid having to go there that often.

I'm one of those Toyota guys who fills up opposite to the fuel door, I don't feel like fighting for pole position at the local Costco. At least in California, Costco wants people to fill up on either side.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by JC1

I'm one of those Toyota guys who fills up opposite to the fuel door, I don't feel like fighting for pole position at the local Costco. At least in California, Costco wants people to fill up on either side.

Never understood why more gas stations don't use extra long hoses. Besides Costco I've seen them at Safeway gas stations. Possibly at other high volume gas stations like Sam's Club.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by JC1

Never understood why more gas stations don't use extra long hoses. Besides Costco I've seen them at Safeway gas stations. Possibly at other high volume gas stations like Sam's Club.

There used to be longer hoses on the old two hose mechanical pumps when a lot of cars had the gas cap behind the liscense plate. The hoses always laid on the ground out in the driveway where you could run them over if you got too close to the pump.

Back