Valvoline 85W140 in Torsen diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my 2000 Camaro with stock Torsen differential, which does *not* require any limited slip additive. I purchased some Valvoline 85W140 semi-synthetic. This will be my 4th attempt to quiet down the well-known noise that these diffs make under certain conditions. (First tried Supertech 75W140, then added moly, then added GM LS additive because someone said that would fix it, nothing's worked so far.) Now before I pour the Valvoline in, I'm doubtful, since on the back of the bottle is says "for limited slip differentials, top-up only". Is this just because this fluid does not contain any LS additive? (I assume it doesn't, since no mention on the bottle.) The Torsen doesn't have any clutches, hence why it doesn't use additive. Would there be any other reason for this warning?

No, no other reason. Just indicating it is not fortified w/the additive out of the bottle.

Is this a T1 type torsen you are talking about?

Not for nothin (and IDKY) but, I have heard of folks putting in Honda diff/gear oil into their noisy diffs and it has helped.
Maybe others can elaborate on this???

I mean, I have used Honda P/S Fluid to quiet down noisy GM p/s units(a.k.a. morning sickness) with decent success. And I know that this has nothing to do wirh differentials.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
No, no other reason. Just indicating it is not fortified w/the additive out of the bottle.

Is this a T1 type torsen you are talking about?

Not sure what type of Torsen it is. Is the T1 type more noisy? This rattlely noise just happens on curves when letting off the gas. One explanation I've seen, that sounds right, is that in that situation it rapidly switches back and forth, like engage/disengage.

The T1 is an axial arrangement, the T2 is parallel in the gear set-up internally.

The T1 is known to be noisy in some applications. I have had two cars with them, both center and rear. Audi and Toyota, not noisy, but it takes a lot of engineering and drivetrain+suspension tweaking to get them that way. In muscle car applications, they are generally known to be noisy as the multiple drivetrain options on the same chassis mean they aren't highly refined in the specific app, and the engines are making more power than the vehicles I have/had (both 240hp, and 240/320 ft/lbs respectively).

If you car has a HO engine, this sounds totally normal. I have seen Mustang owners really complain, but it's the nature of the beast. The T1 can handle more power than the T2, so it's the one usually found here in that generation. The noise is pretty standard for the T1 and part of the price of the design. I don't know what was standard in a 2000 Camaro, and a quick google doesn't answer it. I would bet a T1 and this is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back