crf450r Rotella T6 5w40 & 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, in my crf450r motocross bike I have been using rotella t6 5w40 in the engine with good luck, cheap rural king 10w30 in the transmission, regular intervals too. Im in Florida and dont race, mainly trail ride. However, the bike is ridden fairly hard and not one ride goes by where the bike doesent see the rev limiter multiple times. Can I do better for the same price or should I consider different lubricants?

Hmmm, I mean there are a lot of choices out there and anyone responding will only mention their own favorite.
As long as you're staying within the grades spec'd for your engine, you'll be just fine and too, you will know first if you need something different. Have fun!

I had 2 CRF450s.. The rural king 10w30 in the trans is ok... but really you want something closer to a JASO MA. I always ran Rotella 15w40 in both holes and so did my buddies.

Here is a quote from Shell.

From Shell, "Yes, Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 would be an excellent choice for your application. While the product is primarily marketed for diesel engine applications, it does also meet the requirements of API SM for use in 4-stroke gasoline engines. More importantly for your equipment, it also meets the requirements of JASO MA and MA2 for use in wet clutch-equipped bikes."

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I had 2 CRF450s.. The rural king 10w30 in the trans is ok... but really you want something closer to a JASO MA. I always ran Rotella 15w40 in both holes and so did my buddies.

From Shell, "Yes, Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 would be an excellent choice for your application. While the product is primarily marketed for diesel engine applications, it does also meet the requirements of API SM for use in 4-stroke gasoline engines. More importantly for your equipment, it also meets the requirements of JASO MA and MA2 for use in wet clutch-equipped bikes."

Would you suggest the 15w40 over the t6 5w40 for my application?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Would you suggest the 15w40 over the t6 5w40 for my application?

in Florida.. i would run the 15w40.. change it every couple or few rides if you plan on keeping the bike. They just came out with T615w40.. that will probably be the new go to oil for thumpers.

Since the engine holds less than a quart and the trans holds less than a quart i always changed every two rides.. its cheap.

Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10W-40 is what I use in my ATV and I like it the best so far, and I've tried just about everything else including Rotella! Rotella is easily second best though, but the M1 is more shear resistant and holds up better in the long run, especially in shared sumps where the oil is getting thrashed by the transmission as well.

In years past I ran the Mobile 1 15w50 in just about everything, but it has been hard to find. My walmart stopped carrying it after the red lid brew went away. Would that be be a decent choice or does the rotella or 4t 10w40 seem like a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back