2005 Silverado under the hood trim question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The black plastic shroud that sits over the radiator is attached with 8 or 10 barbed plastic "pegs" that have a large flat head on them, about the size of a nickle. I need to remove this cover, should I just pry the clips up? Will they break? Or will they come up OK and be able to reattach?

Your "pegs" have a center pin. Lift this center pin up, that allows the center of the peg to collapse then pop the whole unit out with a screw driver. Reverse the process to install.

Trim removal kit

Should come out ok if they aren't too brittle. if they have phillips slots in the middle and are move of two parts, unscrew the center till it comes out and unlocks the clip before prying.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Your "pegs" have a center pin. Lift this center pin up, that allows the center of the peg to collapse then pop the whole unit out with a screw driver. Reverse the process to install.

Thats great to know how. I was afraid I would break them if I muscled them out. Sorry about the "pegs" description. "Pins" they are. Thanks!

I've pulled these and believe I killed one or two in the process. A pack of replacements from eBay is available for cheap. I've now learned if I'm popping any sort of trim piece, to order replacements ahead of time. There's always a few that seem to snap.

Amazon and ebay both carry kits that have the fasteners you need and sometimes have the tool kit included. I ordered a kit since I'm replacing the splash shields on my wife's New Beetle and VW uses weird fasteners that are ridiculously expensive at the dealer. I think I paid 15 to 20 bucks for the kit with international shipping. I highly recommend you get one of these kits BEFORE you start, as well as the trim removal tools they will make your life so much easier, and prevent several trips to the auto parts store.

Originally Posted by Donald
With something like this, working in warm weather helps also. Less chance of it snapping due to cold weather.

No issues here! We are sweating right now with the AC on full blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back