Wax Residue on Plastic - McKee's 37 Wax Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw in the suggestion for Sonax Spray and Seal. As for longevity, that depends on a lot of factors. The plus side of these newer products is that you can use them while drying. Spray the Sonax product on the car while it's wet and then buff dry with a microfiber towel. That extra few minutes gives you a few months of protection vs a wax that will take longer to apply and then buff off.

That Mother's CMX could be somewhat of a game changer, bringing a real Si02 coating to a mass consumer brand at a reasonable cost (the addition of TiO2 is for gloss). Verdict is still out on longevity but Mother's is very confident and initial reviews are good.

Originally Posted by gofast182
That Mother's CMX could be somewhat of a game changer, bringing a real Si02 coating to a mass consumer brand at a reasonable cost (the addition of TiO2 is for gloss). Verdict is still out on longevity but Mother's is very confident and initial reviews are good.

I agree. The only other brand that I know of that has titanium in it is Polish Angel out of Germany and its expensive. Mothers brings this to us at a competitive price. We may have to wait for Mothers to crank up production to meet demand.

I don't really know how long UFF lasts because I've never seen a reason to not apply at least a spray wax after every wash. Heck, even my car wash has wax in it - and I park in the garage. I think I paid $12.99 for UFF and I've used it at least 10 times.

It goes on easier than anything I've ever tried and it beads water like crazy:

IMG_20190211_152301.jpg

I believe the Mothers CMX is in the $19-21 dollar range.

Roofless makes the point that the ease of application will have you applying it at every wash. You don't need much either. That is the common mistake with these spray sealants.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I agree. The only other brand that I know of that has titanium in it is Polish Angel out of Germany and its expensive. Mothers brings this to us at a competitive price. We may have to wait for Mothers to crank up production to meet demand.

I intend to use Polish Angel on my wife's new X5 that we're getting from the factory next week (when the weather warms up a bit). I chose it because it prioritizes gloss over longevity with the addition of TiO2. Depending how CMX does on that front maybe I'll end up using it.

Roofless makes the point that the ease of application will have you applying it at every wash. You don't need much either. That is the common mistake with these spray sealants.

That would be unnecessary and not a proper use of the product?

That would be unnecessary and not a proper use of the product?

True. If you wash your car weekly it would be a waste. Every month? Maybe, maybe not. It all feeds on the human intuition that more is better.

I found that with the Sonax product I would use it every third wash. I would wash about every three weeks in good weather. The current application went on last November. The surface is still shiny except for the rear which has accumulated dirt due to the inclement weather since. I haven't washed it since that November wash. I may take it to a spray wash soon though.

My car is "layered" as Meguiar's recommends.

Jewel the paint with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.

Apply Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax - two coats to ensure even coverage.

Top with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish - again, two coats to ensure even coverage.

For my maintenance washes I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax use the hose to sheet it dry. I'll top it with Ultimate Quik Wax if in feeling froggy.

To be clear, I was referring to CMX. It would be pointless to apply/layer that product after each wash since it is a real coating.

To be clear, I was referring to CMX. It would be pointless to apply/layer that product after each wash since it is a real coating.

I understand and it's a good point. A person will get the biggest bang for the money by using it diligently. Some though will apply it and at the next wash apply another coat due to its ease of use. For me, I won't do that unless it's getting close to winter and I think the extra cost will give me better protection against the elements.

A cheaper alternative would be using a quick detailer or something cheaper on top as a drying aid. Also, some like the durability of a sealant but prefer the depth of a wax coat. In that case they could use the CMX for long term protection but use a spray wax occasionally to get the look they want. Is it needed? That is up to each individual. For a daily driver car, it might not be necessary. If one owns a nice BMW for example and wants it to look its best then they have the option.

I agree. I was referencing Meguiar's UFF and how Meguiar's reccomends it go OVER your regular wax. Meguiar's also says that the Hybrid Ceramic Wax will work well over or under their existing products. I plan on using it as a drying aide in place of UQD or UQW after each wash.

Something like CMX (they say) should be applied when it needs applied, and is a standalone product. I'm interested to see if Mother's allows or recommends a wax on top or underneath, and if it behaves as a REAL coating.

Originally Posted by eddy21
This stuff works great , Thanks for the tip .

The wax residue remover? We kind of got off topic.

Very deep into left field.

Peanut butter works to remove wax residue, if you're more into hacks vs dedicated products. Think that would probably speak to some here.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by eddy21
This stuff works great , Thanks for the tip .

The wax residue remover? We kind of got off topic.

Very deep into left field.

Peanut butter works to remove wax residue, if you're more into hacks vs dedicated products. Think that would probably speak to some here.
lol.gif

I had to chuckle when I read that.

That was probably me derailing the thread. I made the comment that if certain products were used the worries of wax staining would not be an issue to begin with.

That was probably me derailing the thread. I made the comment that if certain products were used the worries of wax staining would not be an issue to begin with.

Which is a true statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back