2018 Buick TourX vs 2018 Volvo V60 CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A low mileage (
The TourX is roughly one foot longer whereas the V60 is about the same length as our current cars.

Service for the Volvo may be more difficult to find but I believe its AWD system has a proven history.

Service for the Bick should be easier to find but I believe it is the only current GM car (not SUV or COV) with AWD, and limited history.

Other points to consider??

Originally Posted by PimTac
The Volvo is assembled in Sweden.

The Buick is assembled in Shanghai China.

WRONG on the Buick. While some models are assembled in China, the Regal TourX is assembled in Germany.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

WRONG on the Buick. While some models are assembled in China, the Regal TourX is assembled in Germany.

Okay I missed that.

The TourX is made in Germany, as is the Regal hatchback sedan. Since someone mentioned China, note that Volvo is owned by Chinese company Geely.

My choice would be the Tourx due to the big panoramic sunroof, more room inside, and of course new vs used. Both AWD systems are probably Haldex anyway. New car interest rates are usually less than used car interest rates, if you are financing. There may also be more room for negotiating on a new car as opposed to used. So, the new Buick may end up costing less than the used Volvo. You can also think of the Regal as a V90 for the price of a V60

With a new car, you get to choose the colors and options you want, whereas on used cars you're stuck with what's on the lot.

Personally, I'd take the Buick. If it were a "new" Volvo, we'd be having a different conversation. The Volvo P3 platform that underpins the car dates back to 2006, when Ford still owned Volvo. The 2018 V60 Cross Country was the last Ford-era Volvo.

Originally Posted by MI_Roger

Service for the Volvo may be more difficult to find but I believe its AWD system has a proven history.

The Volvo uses a BorgWarner AWD system, formerly known as Haldex. BorgWarner purchased Haldex a few years back. I believe it's a second-gen system. Not the most sophisticated, it's about two technology cycles old, but it's been around the block a few times.

The Buick uses a GKN Twinster AWD system. This is the same system used in the Ford Focus RS. It is probably one of the more premiere AWD systems in terms of performance and capability.

I believe it is the only current GM car (not SUV or COV) with AWD

Besides the regular Regal and Lacrosse also being available in AWD, the same system under the TourX is used in many of the CUVs as well. Cadillac XT5 and XT4, Buick Enclave, and GMC Acadia All Terrain models all use a GKN Twinster AWD system. Pretty much the rest of GM's CUV line-up use GKN AWD systems, though they are not the oontzy Twinster version.

The previous-gen Regal and Lacrosse, as well as the Cadillac XTS, were also available in AWD. These were fourth generation BorgWarner sytems, first introduced by Saab as XWD. They are very capable systems as well, though not the same as the GKN offerings.

The TourX won't be around long. It's brand new and it's already a dead model-IMHO. They are going to sell in VERY LIMITED NUMBERS. Then Buick will pull the plug on them.

It's a model no one asked for-or wants.

I have never been at a social function when somebody said "I sure wish Buick would make a sport station wagon"..........

Last edited:
That Buick is nice! That's the only other car I considered when I bought the Challenger.

Originally Posted by CKN
I have never been at a social function when somebody said "I sure wish Buick would make a sport station wagon"..........

True.

I've also never been at a social function where someone said:
"I sure wish Volvo would build an over-hyped, over-engineered wagon that's a far cry from the simple cars they once were"

Originally Posted by CKN
The TourX won't be around long. It's brand new and it's already a dead model-IMHO. They are going to sell in VERY LIMITED NUMBERS. Then Buick will pull the plug on them.

That is a concern that I didn't include in my original message. Note that I am asking about 2018 MY vehicles in both choices, and the Buick Dealers seem to have far too many 2018 versions of these cars. This over abundance explains the $16k discounts
GM is offering on these!

The Buick is built by Opel in Russelsheim Germany. GM no longer owns Opel having sold it to PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, et al), so where will new Buicks come from? China like the Envision? South Korea like the Encore?

Everyone who has seen the TourX is intrigued by it, but like many posters in this string most people have no idea what it is or even know if they have seen one. Maybe because so many haven't left the Dealer's Lots.

Both are attractive cars. I like that Buick.

Wouldn't the Buick be easier to support (parts, service, etc.) in Michigan?

I'd take the TourX. I'm currently researching what it would take to do a manual swap on one. You can get them in Europe with AWD and a manual, but not the USA's gasoline 2.0T (I don't believe).

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by CKN

True.

I've also never been at a social function where someone said:
"I sure wish Volvo would build an over-hyped, over-engineered wagon that's a far cry from the simple cars they once were"

Amen to that. Love my simple 240s

Back to the OP:

Both the Volvo and the German made Buick are well made cars. Buy the car you like the most. Take meticulous care of it. Then you'll have a car for a long time that you really like.

Sam

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Its an Opel Insignia country tourer so the lifespan may be short now PSA has taken over Opel.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Interesting … have never seen one …

There is one in our local Buick lot. I think it looks great! Too bad Americans don't like wagons.

Originally Posted by CKN

That is a concern that I didn't include in my original message. Note that I am asking about 2018 MY vehicles in both choices, and the Buick Dealers seem to have far too many 2018 versions of these cars. This over abundance explains the $16k discounts
GM is offering on these!

The Buick is built by Opel in Russelsheim Germany. GM no longer owns Opel having sold it to PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, et al), so where will new Buicks come from? China like the Envision? South Korea like the Encore?

Everyone who has seen the TourX is intrigued by it, but like many posters in this string most people have no idea what it is or even know if they have seen one. Maybe because so many haven't left the Dealer's Lots.

You hit on the major point of concern buying the Buick. With Opel being sold, who knows where you'll able to get parts for it long down the road. Some stuff is interchangeable, but some some stuff, body hardware etc, is not. I wonder how it will affect insurance rates as well.

I've driven both of these cars (the Opel version of the Buick, w/o the cladding). I love the Buick, but it's a significantly larger car on the inside then the older V60. I've also seen crazy good deals on both: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2018-Volvo-V60-c26778#listing=225295667

The V60 is basically a large hatchback, not really a wagon.

The newer version of the V60 is the totally winner, IMO. Just have to wait a couple of years to take advantage of the 40-50% depreciation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back