New Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic oil

I'm going to use it the next time around (5w30) in my Ranger and 4Runner that have Mobil1 in them now. I'm very picky so that must say something.

Originally Posted by pbm
Do we know if its still made by Warren (WPP)?

Yes, same d1G2 license number as MAG1.

Originally Posted by tig1
Run St oil for 200-300K and let us know how it performed.

I wouldn't run it for that long, more like 10k. I think dnewton has run ST (conventional?) out to like 15k-20k on occasion with good results, but I wouldn't do 100k without some testing first. Let alone 200k or more.

There are only a few companies out there that make additive packages for blending oil. They are all utilized by major oil brands. Super Tech has no choice but to buy the add pack from them. Therefore, it has no choice but to be of the same quality as any other oil brand, major or not.

The second item to consider is the base oil. From what I have seen, Super Tech uses excellent base oils.

For example, ST HM 0W-20 FS is of GTL-quality or near-GTL-quality, surpassing Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, etc. in base-oil quality.

Super Tech 5W-30 FS also surpasses Royal Purple, M1 HM, Castrol Edge, etc. in base-oil quality.

So, the short answer is that Super Tech is an excellent oil, better than some major brands such as Castrol Edge, and not far behind in top-quality brands such such as Mobil 1. Its synthetic versions are definitely OK for 10,000-mile OCIs.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4834940/List_of_0W-20_oils_by_base-oil

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4452942/List_of_oils_by_base-oil-quali

Originally Posted by supton

I wouldn't run it for that long, more like 10k. I think dnewton has run ST (conventional?) out to like 15k-20k on occasion with good results, but I wouldn't do 100k without some testing first. Let alone 200k or more.

I'm sure Tig1 means over the lifetime of a vehicle and not a single oci.

Last edited:
It's true there is only a few additive manufacturers but that doesn't mean the formulations and proportions of what additives are used in combination with the basestocks makes it all the same.

That said I would use ST with confidence. Judging by what we see here in the UOA's / VOA's and from the PQIA it looks like a really good product at a great price.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by supton

I'm sure Tig1 means over the lifetime of a vehicle and not a single oci.

That was my guess too but I decided to be flippant about it.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
... For example, ST HM 0W-20 FS is of GTL-quality or near-GTL-quality, surpassing Pennzoil, Quaker State, ...
How have you disproved Pennzoil's claim of being made with GTL?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Gokhan
... For example, ST HM 0W-20 FS is of GTL-quality or near-GTL-quality, surpassing Pennzoil, Quaker State, ...
How have you disproved Pennzoil's claim of being made with GTL?

If you look at the list, BOQI for them are between 57 - 59; so, they are all about of the same base-oil quality within the measurement errors.

This said, ST HM 0W-20 is probably a Group III+++ like XHVI, which is near-GTL-quality, and also Shell XHVI apparently uses Bintulu GTL wax as the feedstock.

Isn't Mobil 1 with their $12 rebate which probably starts in March better? Would be less than $16 after the rebate.

Too bad they don't have anything that meets MB 229.5.

Back