Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
You can still have cheat days on keto as well which makes it a lot more sustainable.

I am not sure who told you that; but ketosis is a metabolic state your body gets into - and out of. There is no cheating your biology.

You can kick yourself out of and back into ketosis as often as you wish, of course; but I would not wish the period of acclimatization to ketosis ("keto flu") on anyone too often!

Originally Posted by ZZman
I don't understand these extreme diets. Do you lose weight? Yes. Are you likely to be able to stay on them for long? No.
Carbs are delicious. No food should be off limits. But moderation in eating and exercise is key. It is calories in vs calories out.

Been on it more than a year and have blood work all that time and doctors exams regularly. That should be long enough to prove it no?

Also folks with Epilepsy benefit from a Keto diet in terms of seizure control, that is what the diet was initially developed for. Some folks have been on it their whole lives in an attempt to limit the number of episodes they have where medication alone isn't enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
You can still have cheat days on keto as well which makes it a lot more sustainable.

I am not sure who told you that; but ketosis is a metabolic state your body gets into - and out of. There is no cheating your biology.

You can kick yourself out of and back into ketosis as often as you wish, of course; but I would not wish the period of acclimatization to ketosis ("keto flu") on anyone too often!

It does get easier the more times you do it versus the first time. I had the Keto-Flu the first time... Now when I enter back into it I just get an annoying headache the first day of fasting and then it goes away. I assume if I did more in/out's I would eventually become immune to this as well as I no longer get the Flu feeling any longer. Not sure about this though...

Originally Posted by ZZman
I don't understand these extreme diets. Do you lose weight? Yes. Are you likely to be able to stay on them for long? No.
Carbs are delicious. No food should be off limits. But moderation in eating and exercise is key. It is calories in vs calories out.

What about the ketogenic diet is extreme? It could be argued that using millions of square miles of our land to plant seeds to grow grasses like wheat, corn, barley and rice is extreme and highly unnatural. Prior to the invention of agriculture I'd have to presume that humans had been eating meats of varying sorts and foraging for low glycemic, above-ground vegetables and massive amounts of leafy greens since there'd been humans.

Agriculture is extreme!
smile.gif

The point is well made, though, that if we cut out ANY single macronutrient we're bound to lose weight. Eating steak while training my body to use fat instead of carbohydrates as my day-in, day-out source of fuel sounds like a winner to me.

(In the interest of disclosure, I spend about a month per year in ketosis; and have just finished my dinner of steak and spinach salad with avocado and walnuts and goat cheese minutes ago.)

Think of hunter gatherer. Where they wouldn't eat for days at a time and might only have meat, or only vegetables with long periods. Now fast forward and our biology hasn't changed and we are good at making calorie and carbohydrate dense foods and it's an overabundance of this that the body can't process in these amounts forever so metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes happens from a fatty liver as a result and ultimately Type-1.

Now if the body can take fats and run off them for a fuel source via Ketones and the body can manufacture what glucose it needs to run the brain from Ketones why is there a need for glucose supplementation through diet from Carbohydrates?

I literally tried caloric restriction diets, protein diets and everything else with/without exercise and nothing works like this works when followed properly. Strict adherence to extremely low carbs is an absolute must and fats must make up more than the protein. And not too much protein in one sitting or it can cause an insulin response and either pause or knock you out of keto all together.

Contrary to medical science telling you that it's fats that cause cholesterol I'm going to tell you that it's carbohydrates and/or the presence of metabolic syndrome / type-2 diabetes which creates a fatty liver that causes it. Literally within a couple weeks of eating this diet my cholesterol went from a problem I should be taking a Lipitor for, to just below the acceptable level to almost non existent there after. Eating FATS like butter, cheese, bacon and olive oil, fish oils.

Many others have had the same experience including my spouse who is also Type-2 diabetic and had a cholesterol problem.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Think of hunter gatherer. Where they wouldn't eat for days at a time and might only have meat, or only vegetables with long periods. Now fast forward and our biology hasn't changed and we are good at making calorie and carbohydrate dense foods and it's an overabundance of this that the body can't process in these amounts forever so metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes happens from a fatty liver as a result and ultimately Type-1.

I'm not sure hunter gatherers actually have a solid history of longevity.

I'm also not sure any nutritionist would recommend this type of diet.

The trick with diets is that pretty much anything works. Most of them control for calories in one way or another which is why there's always some fad diet around. So any calorie reduction is bound to work.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Likely due to a complete lack of social infrastructure, medical science, etc.; and when a majority of your children don't see their 5th birthday it'll bring your statistical average life expectancy down a bit, too.
smile.gif

I think they hit the nail on the head as far as diet and exercise go; with the latter being tragically overlooked today.

Likely due to a complete lack of social infrastructure, medical science, etc.; and when a majority of your children don't see their 5th birthday it'll bring your statistical average life expectancy down a bit, too.
smile.gif

I think they hit the nail on the head as far as diet and exercise go; with the latter being tragically overlooked today.

If you eliminate those early deaths, average may have been in the 70's. But if you ask people who live to 80-90+, I don't think they're on any of those crazy fad diets.

smile.gif

If you eliminate those early deaths, average may have been in the 70's. But if you ask people who live to 80-90+, I don't think they're on any of those crazy fad diets.

"Crazy" and "fad" are your ideas. The longest-living peoples on earth have "crazy, fad" diets that are seasonal and local; both of which are staples of a ketogenic diet, which will lead one to avoid processed garbage. And the longest-living people on earth share commonalities that transcend diet: They remain active, vital and immersed in their communities for the entirety of their lives. In my entire life I have also yet to hear about or see abjectly miserable or cynical or stressed out people live too long... Perhaps diet itself is a supplement; but is the component of our lives that is most easily marketed and profited from.

Just because someone gave it a name and because it is gaining in popularity (due to the THRONGS of people testifying to its effectiveness) makes it neither crazy nor a fad. In fact, it is humanity's default and original diet. Wouldn't everything that followed, having been **invented** by people, be "crazy fads"? I think that having a diet centred on carbohydrates is entirely unnatural. The only reason we do that today is because carbs are cheap and easy. They make the best product, but not the best food.

If diets that have names bothers you so much, consider this piece of wisdom, then, which I heard just a few months ago: "Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods." The boxes and cans and bags and processed garbage tend to reside in the aisles. My personal aim is to eat foods as close as is feasible to the way they grew, walked or swam.

I'll take my chances with this "fad diet" which has been around since the early 1900's, over Carb rich foods with an abundance of HFCS, franken-wheat and the plethora of other "Fine to eat" science is attempting to shove down our throats, oh and the "Here, take these pills to fix what we broke with our science diet" nonsense.

I mean it's not like diabetes and cancer hasn't been on a sharp rise or anything during the same period of time "science" has been supposedly helping us.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I'll take my chances with this "fad diet" which has been around since the early 1900's, over Carb rich foods with an abundance of HFCS, franken-wheat and the plethora of other "Fine to eat" science is attempting to shove down our throats, oh and the "Here, take these pills to fix what we broke with our science diet" nonsense.

I mean it's not like diabetes and cancer hasn't been on a sharp rise or anything during the same period of time "science" has been supposedly helping us.
lol.gif

The "diet" has had a **name** since the early 1900's. Eating flesh and leafy greens and above-ground vegetables is what people have been doing since we've been "people"; until crazy fads were invented which were cheaper and easier.
smile.gif

The rise of disease in the time of medicine also may be at least equally attributable to stress, sedentary lifestyles and the toxic products of the industrial age as diet. Although there isn't a dietitian on this earth who doesn't recognize and warn against the destructive properties of processed foods (I have never seen a "pasta tree" or a "bread berry".
smile.gif
), there are others who in their respective fields of expertise have similarly dire warnings about stress, sloth and air- or water-borne toxins.

Speaking of which, I am about to apply my ~20lb. Canadian Armed Forces tactical vest and attempt a MURPH workout. If none of you ever hear from me again, it was an honour chatting with you.
smile.gif

No the diet has been around since the 1900's for folks with epilepsy and fasting has been around since 500 BC

Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC. To mimic the metabolism of fasting, the ketogenic diet (KD) was introduced by modern physicians as a treatment for epilepsy in the 1920s. For two decades this therapy was widely used, but with the modern era of antiepileptic drug treatment its use declined dramatically. By the end of the twentieth century this therapy was available in only a small number of children's hospitals. Over the past 15 years, there has been an explosion in the use, and scientific interest in the KD. This review traces the history of one of the most effective treatments for childhood epilepsy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

cheers3.gif
Enjoy the workout. I'm eating bacon at the moment as I'm in day 2 of the 2 day cycle where I eat. Next 2 days no food.

Last edited:

smile.gif

"Crazy" and "fad" are your ideas. The longest-living peoples on earth have "crazy, fad" diets that are seasonal and local; both of which are staples of a ketogenic diet, which will lead one to avoid processed garbage. And the longest-living people on earth share commonalities that transcend diet: They remain active, vital and immersed in their communities for the entirety of their lives. In my entire life I have also yet to hear about or see abjectly miserable or cynical or stressed out people live too long... Perhaps diet itself is a supplement; but is the component of our lives that is most easily marketed and profited from.

Just because someone gave it a name and because it is gaining in popularity (due to the THRONGS of people testifying to its effectiveness) makes it neither crazy nor a fad. In fact, it is humanity's default and original diet. Wouldn't everything that followed, having been **invented** by people, be "crazy fads"? I think that having a diet centred on carbohydrates is entirely unnatural. The only reason we do that today is because carbs are cheap and easy. They make the best product, but not the best food.

If diets that have names bothers you so much, consider this piece of wisdom, then, which I heard just a few months ago: "Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods." The boxes and cans and bags and processed garbage tend to reside in the aisles. My personal aim is to eat foods as close as is feasible to the way they grew, walked or swam.

Say whatever you like but just look at the data. Fads are diets that become popular and fade away with time. The basics of any diet is a reduction in calories. They're successful in the short term, but not always for the long term. That's why I label them as crazy fads.

... Do all of your grocery shopping on the store's periphery. There you will find vegetables and meats and other REAL foods. ...

I heard similar a long time ago, and it is so true.

Since starting Keto, just about the only things I buy from the inner part of the store are olives, sriracha sauce and Powerade Zero.

And as far as it being a fad, for many it may be, but those are those that think cheat days are OK on a Keto diet.
For many that have found Keto is a sustainable way to eat and loose weight, as well as other dietary and health benifits, it is not a fad. It is a way that has been around a long time but has not been well known. We have been taught the "food pyramid" from a young age, and tried to follow it (or not), with nothing but bad health and weight for many.
I blame no one but myself for my current weight, but I can thank several for showing me and telling me about the Keto way. Where will I be with this in 5 years, 10 years, no idea, but for now, I can see myself still doing it, and being healthier for it.

Last edited:

smile.gif

I agree with you and diet humans ate whatever is abundant in thier environment this includes high and low carb, high and low protein, and the same combination for fat. It's easy to be at an ideal weight if your exercising the calories away.

Speaking of the food pyramid, Canada just updated their food guide to include less meat and more vegetables and recommends less sugar and sodium / trans-fats so change is coming slowly slowly...
Maybe in another 4 decades they will arrive at Keto.
lol.gif

Actual food guide: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/h...e-aliment/print_eatwell_bienmang-eng.pdf
Article about the changes: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...p-of-canadas-food-guide/article35728046/

Keep believing its what is causing the weight loss.

Dave did you miss the part that I tried every other diet prior and that medical advice was... Here take these pills for your cholesterol and Type-2 diabetes and by the way you will be Type-2 the rest of your life and most likely Type-1 at some point?

Funny that I corrected that in a few weeks on this diet over a year ago.

Funny also having tried low calorie diets, normal calorie diets with extra exercise all added in and not much change. I changed to this and in the first couple weeks with no exercise I lost 30lbs. Yes a couple of weeks. Not the typical weight loss as time goes on but common in the first couple weeks.

Even in the weeks where I'm busy at work and don't make the time to exercise or when I'm feeling lazy. I still loose a good amount of weight that week and I have back to back weeks like this.

I don't know about you but this speaks to me and it has for others as well.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

Keep believing its what is causing the weight loss.

It's also been working great for my wife, she's been getting similar results to Stevie.

I tried doing it, but Dr. Pepper and sweet tea are my weaknesses.

Last edited:
Dave did you miss the part that I tried every other diet prior and that medical advice was... Here take these pills for your cholesterol and Type-2 diabetes and by the way you will be Type-2 the rest of your life and most likely Type-1 at some point?

Funny that I corrected that in a few weeks on this diet over a year ago.

Funny also having tried low calorie diets, normal calorie diets with extra exercise all added in and not much change. I changed to this and in the first couple weeks with no exercise I lost 30lbs. Yes a couple of weeks. Not the typical weight loss as time goes on but common in the first couple weeks.

Even in the weeks where I'm busy at work and don't make the time to exercise or when I'm feeling lazy. I still loose a good amount of weight that week and I have back to back weeks like this.

I don't know about you but this speaks to me and it has for others as well.
21.gif

Stevie you can believe whatever you want. The fact is this is a problem caused by not carbs but the fact we have grown lazy and never adjusted our intake. There are still hunter gather tribes around where 70%+ percentage of thier caloric intake is carbs. There is not an epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, obesity or other problems associated with over eating. Within stated tribes. When I'm in intense training over 40% of my diet is carbs without them my muscles do not recover nearly as fast there is an energy deficit and despite the increase in carbs I will still lose weight and my physical performance increases.

You believe Keto is working and I can see how as increased meat and vegtables into your diet actually makes your body work harder to convert food into energy and you believe it's working really that is all which matters.

Back