Carquest Blue 84356

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are these oil filters for (2) 5000 miles OCI on an `06 Odyssey?

I ordered them online, thinking they were made by Wix/Napa Golds. They are not!

They are clearly a Purolator product. Box says 99% efficiency, synthetic blend media and made in USA.

Hopefully these are not Tearolators like the past.

CARQUEST has purchased filters from just about everyone!

If it is Purolator, but synthetic blend media, it might be OK.

If it is the same media as used in the "Tearolators" I would be wary of it

Yup, Purolator has the CQ contract now, and the Blues are the same as the P1
mad.gif

In particular, the Purolator 14610 is the worst in terms of tearing. By far the most torn filters are that size.

The OEM Honda A02 from the dealer is essentially a PH7317. The TG7317 is better than OE, and the Ultra is even better than that.

Also, I'm not a fan of the can Wix makes for this application. The 57356 has a very tiny media cartridge inside due to the bypass design they use. The XP version has a taller media cartridge and more media, but it is a bit more expensive than the Fram Ultra (except when Napa has a sale, when the Napa Platinum is the same price as Fram Ultra). Napa Platinum is the same as Wix XP

I am surprised! All these years of tearing media and Purolator hasn't fixed the tearing problem yet. I will be returning the 2 filters from my online order to my Advanced Auto store.

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone called Purolator in regard to the tearing issue of the pleats?

What is their response? How they made any attempt to remedy the issue as we all know this has been going on for years! (4+ years)

Just got off the phone with Purolator. It was stated that Mann/Hummel now co-owns or owns (past 1-2 years) Purolator and the filters are being built to the req. manufactures spec. as overseen by Mann/Hummel.

It was also stated that cutting the filter apart to inspect, would void any warranty or liability on their part. It would need to be shipped to them intact.

She lead me to believe the filters were good to run as per recommended interval.

I am a little skeptical that the tearing issues have not been resolved, but I am thinking of taking a chance and running the 2 filters I ordered online and seeing how is goes. I will run the 1st for (1) 5000 mile interval. If it looks good, maybe I'll run the second one for (2) 5000 mile intervals. My OLM monitor ticks off around 5000 miles. 2 OCI per filter the owners manual allows. I will be running Valvoline Synpower 0w-20, which being a thinner oil should be the least likely to create the pressure difference within the filter to stress the pleats.

They will be installed on a 14 year old Honda Odyssey with 150,000 miles. I have run Tearolators before; before I knew about the tearing issue and the engine is still intact. so what can go wrong?

Maybe I will be the pioneer here; stating that it is now safe to run Purolators again! Don't hold your breathe.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
It was also stated that cutting the filter apart to inspect, would void any warranty or liability on their part. It would need to be shipped to them intact.

Obviously if a motor gets damaged and the filter is suspected as the cause, then never cut the filter open.

But otherwise, always cut them open to check for engine health and to see how the filter held up.

Maybe I will be the pioneer here; stating that it is now safe to run Purolators again! Don't hold your breathe.

It's a hit or miss situation, and some models of filters seemed more prone to tearing than others. 5 out of 6 times a Russian roulette player is happy.
grin2.gif

Has anyone called Purolator in regard to the tearing issue of the pleats?

What is their response? How they made any attempt to remedy the issue as we all know this has been going on for years! (4+ years)

I had e-mailed them in the past with pics of torn filters I had.
Never heard a word back from them.

Yeah the 14610s and 14459s were two of the biggest offenders...

The Boss filter would be just fine I'd bet.

^^^ Yep, the Boss never had tearing issues due to reinforced full synthetic media.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah the 14610s and 14459s were two of the biggest offenders...

The Boss filter would be just fine I'd bet.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Yep, the Boss never had tearing issues due to reinforced full synthetic media.

Unfortunately, Bosses can suffer from a torn ADBV.

^^^ The ADBVs can have deep "cuts" due to the sharp inlet holes on the base ... not really "torn".

^^^ The ADBVs can have deep "cuts" due to the sharp inlet holes on the base ... not really "torn".

It still renders the ADBV inoperable
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

It still renders the ADBV inoperable
smirk2.gif

Maybe ... maybe not. Depends on the location and severity of the cuts. But yeah, it's not really something anyone wants to see on the filters they use. No excuse for bad design or bad quality.

It was also stated that cutting the filter apart to inspect, would void any warranty or liability on their part. It would need to be shipped to them intact..

That right there is enough to tell me I don't need to buy filters from them.

Ive never had a purolator tear. I dont buy into the whole debacle. I think it was some isolated issues that were being blown way out of poropotion and I think the issue dosent exist anymore since purolator changed their design.
That being said, if its gonna cause you worry its not worth it. You could just return them if so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back