Motrorcraft 5w-40 synthetic in Amarok 2.0 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I am taking my Amarok to the agency for revisions and oil change every 5,000 km as requested by them.
I have found out that they are using this Motorcraft oil which they say should be changed every 5,000km due to our low quality diesel in Costa Rica. But the manual specifies either VW505.01 or Vw 507. Apparently this Ford Motocraft oil does not come up to the vw specs.
I asked why they were using this oil and they said that VW had authorized them to use this oil providing that they changed every 5k.
I am suspicious because they also sell Ford and I suspect that it is just convenient to use only one oil for both cars.
Can anyone throw any light on this problem?
Thanks

This oil is not correct for your vehicle. VW specifies their low/mid SAPS oils (504/507) for the emissions systems and claims that the high SAPS oils will shorten the life of the exhaust filters.

VW specifies a 10,000 mile (16,000 KM) oil change interval on this vehicle. Even cutting this in half is unnecessary and if a dealer is telling you to change your oil every 3000 miles (5000 KM) then that's simply foolish.

If you have options then go to another dealership. If you don't have this option then purchase the correct fluids and either do the service yourself or find a decent shop that knows German products and use them.

This Ford dealership is in the wrong on all levels here.

It reminds me that VW released some 508.88 spec (or 509.88 ?) for countries with high sulfur diesel. These oils have high TBN, which allows oil to last right amount of kilometers (or miles) between OCIs.
These oils are high SAPS, so they don't suit DPFs.

Thanks.
I should mention that my vw engine is the CSH which from what I see does not have the DPF filter.
According to my vw manual: With DPF VW507. Without DPF 505.01
I don't see where the Motocraft full synthetic 5w-40 complies with VWs requirements

The Motorcraft is a great oil, it just isn't suitable for your specific application.

I did my own oil change using Mobil 1 esp formula 5w/30, which according to the VW manual is good for 20,000km with our sulphur content in Costa Rica.
I am going to change oil at 15,000 and have an oil test just too see.
Here the Mobil 1 which is vw507 approved is about the same price as the Castrol Edge Profesional 5W/30 which is 505.01 approved (according to my VW manual without dpf)
Is there any advantage in using the 507, over the 505.01?
Thanks

Hi Ronald,

I had a similar problem in 2012 - 2.0 BiTurbo 163hp Diesel Amarok.

I started to use Mobil Delvac1 5W-40. It was VERY close in specs to the your oil and in these temperatures I do like a heavier oil!
I now use Repsol 5W-40 which has the VW spec 50501... and I change now every 10000km with a filter-change and top-up at 5000km....

My bigger concern now is WHAT to pour into the drivetrain!

Front-Diff
Transfer-Case
Manual-gearbox (6-speed)
Rear-Diff (open)

VW recommends all different VW-code numbers!!

I am trying to piece together, what works where! So far: I will use Mobil Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 in the front and the gearbox (I used that forever on my previous Toyota 4Runner).

I am still working on figuring out if I need 75W-140 in the rear diff or if the if the 75W-90 from the front is the correct one for an open diff!

The transfer-case nowadays seems to use TF-0870 - but I cant find any specs on what it is!!

I seem to remember that - at some previous time - the transfer-oil was the same as the diffs or the gearbox.....

Cheers,

thjakits

PS: the local dealer/distributor in Panama is ...."useless" (tot put it mild)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back