AR Pistols - accuracy and utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read several articles on drywall penetration (which is what we're considering...different than a barrier like automotive glass, or sheet metal) and the consensus of all the testing is that the 5.56 goes no further than standard pistol rounds. It's not an intuitive result...but it seems to be the consistent result...

Here's an example.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/ryan-finn/sheetrock-penetration-testing-take-1/

Simply: pistol rounds go just as far.

So, using a pistol, you're not safe from penetration or risk to those in houses behind your target...

Last edited:
If you're going to use an AR pistol for indoor defense then keep some ear pro right next to it. Serious.

You may beat the home invader but you won't ever beat tinnitus for the rest of your life.

I'm thinking AR pistol, in .300 BLK, with a suppressor...

Ideal.

30 rounds. Subsonic. Effective round. Easier to aim/engage.

But not cheap...

12 gauge shotgun with a full buttstock and an 18" barrel is always a good solution, and you can get one cheaper than an AR pistol.

If you are just dead set on an AR pistol with a can then get it in 300 Blackout.

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Keeping an AR pistol as a home defense gun makes no sense to me unless you live in Baghdad/Kabul and you're an informant on ISIS expecting a reprisal.

It's harder to easily lock up and secure compared to a pistol.
It's still easier to maneuver and maintain a pistol.
According to FBI stats, most self-defense shootings are under 5 rounds.
I wouldn't want to shoot through dry wall and hit my neighbors kid.
When you go to court, an overzealous prosecutor will be all over you.

A good 45 ACP hollow point makes huge holes.

Buckshot and pistol rounds both penetrate farther through drywall farther than a soft point .223 round will. Common misconception is that .223 ammo, being rifle ammo, will over penetrate. Nope. Bullets have sectional density, and the larger sectional density bullets (9MM, 40SW) will penetrate really far through drywall. Since we are quoting the FBI, they even put out a white paper saying that .223 rifles were much safer to innocent bystanders than pistol or shotgun. THIS is why every SWAT team in America traded in their MP5 9MM submachine guns for AR15 rifles. The FBI and police departments chose the AR15 rifle because its more accurate, more powerful, and is less dangerous to innocent bystanders (which coincidentally, are good traits to have in a home defense weapon)

An AR15 is just as easy to maintain as a pistol. Probably even easier because they have fully interchangeable parts, easily purchased, so if a spring or small part breaks, the end user can very easily diagnose the problem, and easily fix the problem. A broken pistol usually has to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repair.

A short barrel AR15 is just as maneuverable, and has the same overall length extended from the body as a pistol does in a 2 handed grip.

Laws? Yeah, if I lived in California, I sure as heck would NOT use an AR15 for home defense. The communist don't like well armed home defenders. If you live in communist America (NJ, NY, CA) then yes, you should pick a weapon thats less scary to the prosecutors and morons.

For those that live in free America, it is hard to argue against a semi-auto, magazine fed rifle for home defense. They are the BEST tool for the job, after all.

Pistol vs rifle..... the police miss 70% of their shots when using a pistol. For every 10 shots fired, only 3 hit their target. They miss 5% of their shots when using a long gun. We can reasonably assume that a typical home defender would have a similar hit ratio. Which is EXACTLY why home defenders should use a long gun.

Therefor, if you are SERIOUS about home defense, you would pick some sort of long gun as your primary home defense weapon. The long gun you choose should be based on your experience level, level of training, and of course, local politics.

I have a crazy level of training and experience in this arena, and I would never use a pistol as my primary home defense weapon, nor would I recommend one to dozens of people that train with me yearly.

The pistol on my night stand is for noises in the night when I don't think an actual intruder is breaking in. The AR15 next to my bed, is for when the glass breaks and I hear an intruder, or for when my front door gets kicked in.

Read up on sectional density, and how it relates to bullet penetration, here:
https://www.chuckhawks.com/sd.htm

I have one with a 6 inch barrel, made on a skeleton lower, with a 60 round drum and a trijicon MRO. No brace or other fluff. Just light and short as possible

It's short, light, loud and stupidly fun.

I had to read the posts a few times and a short list of pro/cons, you guys raise a bunch of important decision considerations.

Bubba, Thanks for detailed insight and I was beginning to think I would error in picking a 223 platform for home defense.
I am an off hand old mill rifle shooter so yes, my thought was a weapon I can shoulder if needed.

SBR- I could get a SBR but I want to be able to cross state lines without having to file ATF paperwork.

Cutejet - Lol, that thing must breathe fire, did you use an Off the shelf upper with a 6 inch barrel?

1. OAL - for OAL is king, I live in a very small house with 32/30 inch door ways so a regular AR with a 16inch barrel and suppressor is not going to cut it.

I have looked at FN PS90, and I am beginning to like it, it is 26.5 inch and shoots a 5.7x28 round,
PRO- size, design like a tavor bull pup and I like it how it holds and the trigger and shouldered it feels natural, and it comes with a 50 round bag.
Cons - still long, can't conceal carry as it is long and rifle, another caliber I need to acquire,

Other 223 weapons of the same design is an option, but I am not versed in the bull pups in 223 that I am able to buy

2. Pistol - a short stroke gas AR would be the way to go, just can't figure out what is out there, Adam Arms
Sig MCXs might just be the only thing out there. I can't find any locally to shoulder and try it out.

Reddy,
Yes Sir, I hate shooting it under a roof at the range, it is LOUD, my local PD said when they were doing drills they found it would dis-orient them, they ended up getting cans too.
Compact 223 suppressor - What do you guys suggest/use for a compact can? I know it is not going to make it silent but I need it to reduce the bang.

Astro/Bubba - SD - I will have to figure out which ammo I will use, yeap, my fav hunting round is a 6.5 mm for sd ;-)

I have settled on a Beretta 92FS Brigadier and a CX-4 Storm for my HD needs. Same magazines, same ammo.

127gr +P+ SXT out of the 16 inch barrel is humming right around 1600 fps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back