Educate me on 0w40 please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by SonofJoe
I got involved with them very briefly when I was once banished to sit on the naughty step for being beastly to someone (deservedly so as it turned out!).

I was 'rehabilitated' before I could get too deeply into MT fluids. Shame really. I do seem to remember thinking that our people really didn't understand what they were doing & that it might benefit from the SoJ treatment.

Your rehabilitation didn't work. You're still a know-it-all (translation: know-nothing) and don't know how to get along and/or work with people.

I won't even get into many false statements you made during your recent rant here. I suggest you keep the "SoJ treatment" to yourself and stop spreading the fake news.

Is there vaccination here at BITOG against this guy?
I mean this author of peer reviewed articles that no one ever saw, the driver on most difficult interstate in the US, the inventor of engine lubrication.

Originally Posted by Patman
I trust what SonofJoe says long before I trust any of the nonsense you keep spouting on here.

That's a nonissue because you're unable to comprehend either.

That's because I don't speak gibberish.

Good Lord y'all.

Junk those feeble off brand gassers, and convert to 359 cubic inches of domestic straight six power already.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3467.pdf

SN+ rated as well.

The CK4 oils are also more resistant to oxidation, aeration, and biodiesel/ethanol infection than prior ratings.

In addition -

"Based on your operating temperature of -40F to 100F range, I highly recommend 0W40 (preferred) or 5W40 for your Cummins engine (CI+4 rated).

Most AMSOIL 10W30 and 15W40 oil contain very few, if any pour point depressants, which is what can cause shear stability to be low. Viscosities like 5Wxx and 0Wxx need more VII's, thus may not have quite as good HT/HS viscosity. That said. AMSOIL oils use very shear stable VII's, so this possible factor is not relevant.

The 0W40 DZF does have a high level of ZDDP needed for flat tappet engines. See below:

Phosphorus (ppm)
Zinc (ppm)

DZF metals are:

Boron (ppm)

DZF.jpg

Originally Posted by edyvw
I mean this author of peer reviewed articles that no one ever saw, the driver on most difficult interstate in the US, the inventor of engine lubrication.

The attack of the mob is not complete before arrives my biggest troll, who does nothing but spew vitriol.

The attack of the mob is not complete before arrives my biggest troll, who does nothing but spew vitriol.

What troll? No one is trolling you, it is nonsense you are constantly spewing here. People explain you (draw you picture), you just continue with another gibberish.
When will you understand that there are actually people that come here for advice, and might read most famous line of 2019: Porsche A40 might damage your engine. Or similar BS.

What troll? No one is trolling you, it is nonsense you are constantly spewing here. People explain you (draw you picture), you just continue with another gibberish.
When will you understand that there are actually people that come here for advice, and might read most famous line of 2019: Porsche A40 might damage your engine. Or similar BS.

You are trolling me on a constant basis.

I give good advice. You take my statements out of context and blast them.

It's OK to run Porsche A40 (ACEA A3/B4) oil in an engine equipped with DPF? It won't do any harm? Then, I wonder what all the other ACEA categories are for.

Specifically your claim was

Originally Posted by Shannow
Disregard fancy OEM specs such as Porsche A40 etc., as they are irrelevant unless you own a Porsche etc. For example, A40 requires visual examination of bearings after racing. How does that help you when choosing an oil? Specs are not about oil quality. They are technical properties. Spec for one engine, even if it's for a Porsche, can hurt a different engine it's not specd for.

Please hook us up with the "facts and data" demonstrating that A40 is detrimental to non Porsche engines...or that DEXOS2 kills fords...or anything to support this position.

Show us how it hurts the engine...DPF is a diversion from your original statement

Show us how it hurts the engine...DPF is a diversion from your original statement

As one poster said here recently, if you don't supplement every statement you make on BITOG with a disclaimer, you run the risk of being attacked.

How is DPF a diversion? That's exactly what I meant by my statement that you need to go by the spec for your engine. For example, Porsche A40 is full-SAPS, which could hurt an engine that requires low-SAPS. Did I ever say that it would hurt my Corolla? Of course, additional OEM tests (such as Porsche A40) within a given spec (such as A3/B4) are further assurance and a good thing but only if that's the spec your engine calls for. Things like DPF are exactly why there are various ACEA and OEM categories or "specs," and disregarding them as diversion is grossly false and trashes the whole foundation of BITOG.

Regarding SonofJoe:

First of all, I never start anything with someone unless they do so. I do appreciate some of his useful insights into oil blending. However, he will go and trash your posts because he didn't like something he saw and then he will give a lecture with some good stuff but considerable false information as well. People will still take it as gospel, despite a lot of false and/or outdated bits, because he worked in oil blending.

His following post best describes him (in addition to his own disclosure of how he got banished and rehabilitated for being nasty to his coworkers):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...re-what-does-acea-a1-b1-mean#Post4446414

He's referring to the presentation (PDF link) by Mike McCabe of Lubrizol -- the largest oil-additive company in the world. Here is Mike McCabe's credentials:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mdmccabe/

BSc in Physics (How about that, Shannow?), University of Reading
Specialty-lubricants advisor, Castrol
OEM-liaisons engineer, Castrol
Project manager, engine oils, UK, Lubrizol
Project manager, PCMO, Europe, Lubrizol
Global marketing director, Lubrizol (current)

SonofJoe goes and says, "It may have been 11 years ago but even so, Mike McMabe should hang his head in shame for peddling such misleading and self-serving propaganda." After seeing this, I shouldn't feel bad for being attacked by him. Moreover, he is false and unjustified in his attack against Mike McCabe (of course, no surprise there) as he was claiming that intake-valve deposits (IVD) didn't increase with ash levels, which is blatantly false. There is a reason why Volkswagen tests for IVD only in the VW 504.00 spec (similar to ACEA C2 and ACEA C3) and probably against an ACEA A3/B4 reference oil.

Again, I appreciate some of his useful insights and background but his lack of civility and ability to constructively discuss the subject with others negates his contributions.

You are trolling me on a constant basis.

I give good advice. You take my statements out of context and blast them.

It's OK to run Porsche A40 (ACEA A3/B4) oil in an engine equipped with DPF? It won't do any harm? Then, I wonder what all the other ACEA categories are for.

A. You never mentioned DPf. B. There is Porsche C30 category for that.
Did you Google in the meantime what is DPF?

As one poster said here recently, if you don't supplement every statement you make on BITOG with a disclaimer, you run the risk of being attacked.

How is DPF a diversion? That's exactly what I meant by my statement that you need to go by the spec for your engine. For example, Porsche A40 is full-SAPS, which could hurt an engine that requires low-SAPS. Did I ever say that it would hurt my Corolla? Of course, additional OEM tests (such as Porsche A40) within a given spec (such as A3/B4) are further assurance and a good thing but only if that's the spec your engine calls for. Things like DPF are exactly why there are various ACEA and OEM categories or "specs," and disregarding them as diversion is grossly false and trashes the whole foundation of BITOG.

DPF is not part of an engine! Do you actually know where DPF is? Have you ever seen one?
You have some time to Google it, so go ahead and come back with some photos.
Porsche has another specification that is required by cars equipped by DPF, a Porsche C30, which is clearly labeled under the hood, in manual etc.
Stick to Corolla, that is limit for you.

And for the life of me I still can't understand why he's trying to preserve a 1985 Corolla, one of the most uninspiring cars ever produced
21.gif

DPF is not part of an engine! Do you actually know where DPF is? Have you ever seen one?
You have some time to Google it, so go ahead and come back with some photos.
Porsche has another specification that is required by cars equipped by DPF, a Porsche C30, which is clearly labeled under the hood, in manual etc.

And you say you don't troll me. Lol.

And for the life of me I still can't understand why he's trying to preserve a 1985 Corolla, one of the most uninspiring cars ever produced
21.gif

Yeah, that really gets me as well, it's kind of hilarious and sad at the same time.

21.gif

It's his oil test bed. I want to see it run on 0W-16 and maybe on some 0W-8.
grin2.gif

Not sure what you mean, other than the orderly forgot your room this morning on the morning medication run.

I take it that you are referring to your nonsensical ramblings somehow being validated by a guy who ACTUALLY works in the oil field also having a B$....

You already told me that your B$, and the lack of any actual experience in the working world with any facet of lubrication trumps a BeMech (hons), and 30 years in industry, as well as lifers in oil creation, testing and certification.

I let it slide, and have continued to...so why drag me in under your bridge again ?

Not sure what you mean, other than the orderly forgot your room this morning on the morning medication run.

Lol. All I meant was that you pick on me because of my field of specialty (except, I have a PhD as you know) but it doesn't take much to draw the insults from you.

No, I pick on your made up "science", which you then back with reference to a PhD in an entirely unrelated field, with no supporting evidence as to either your statements or positions...e.g. Porsche specs damaging engines, one minute ultra high VII is proven to be the postiveley best oil, bearing work on flow, now 10W30 is the best oil, now it's back to VI

Good Lord.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping a 35 yr old vehicle running. Isn't that reusing & recycling at its best?

I do find it amusing that you folks are debating recent vehicles vs "latER" model vehicles.

I suppose it's off brand Nipponese vs sub standard Lucas/Beru angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back