Amsoil 75W-90 vs Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOu know I have used the Amsoil gears lube dating back to 1977 in my Chevy Monte Carlo. I had ordered it with posi-traction. Well it was making the typical noise associated with posi. Th dealer added the additive on 2 occasions but I still would get the noise slowing turning corners. So I got about 3 qts of Amsoil 80W-90 and made the dealer install it for me. I had to endure criticism from the service manager and the tech doing the work. They told me it will never work, I had to use the GM additive which I insisted hey not install and actually had to tell the tech to never mind, it was my car and do it and shut-up. That was around 10-15,000 miles. Never once after that did I hear any noise from the rear axle and I never again changed the lube and sold the car with 100,000+ miles. I made it a point of going back and telling them that I had not more problems. Sometime later the service manager who I knew asked me where they could get some of the gear lube for a customer who had the same problem as me and was giving them **** for not being able to fix it.

censor at work for the word h-ll?

[ June 15, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

My friend had a 1981 Camaro that would make a noise from the rear end - he could never fix that problem.
confused.gif

I'm using Redline in the E-250 w/ the clutch posi and its not making any chattering noise.

I think its just another one of those BS tests where they put Amsoil vs. a inferior competitor.

Valvoline synthetic gear oil foamed like crazy in my differentials especially when it was cold.

I don't think half of Amsoil's tests are even valid or updated - they always run their products against products that they know are inferior. What happens when you run Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 vs. Redline 75W-90 vs. Mobil 1 75W-90 vs Royal Purple 75W-90

I think the results would be very interesting and perhaps more intriguing than one of Amsoil's "tests"

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I think its just another one of those BS tests where they put Amsoil vs. a inferior competitor.

Valvoline synthetic gear oil foamed like crazy in my differentials especially when it was cold.

I don't think half of Amsoil's tests are even valid or updated - they always run their products against products that they know are inferior. What happens when you run Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 vs. Redline 75W-90 vs. Mobil 1 75W-90 vs Royal Purple 75W-90

I think the results would be very interesting and perhaps more intriguing than one of Amsoil's "tests"

Maybe it is because the average individual doesn't have a clue what Redline, Royal Purple and even Mobil 1 are but know the lower brands and that is what they are trying to appeal to. I know I called the Napa store here and asked if they carried Royal Purple and they asked me what was it? They didn't have a clue but yet Napa is suppose to carry that stuff, at least that is what the web site was saying. Go figure.... That is just my take on the advertising thing. It may be off in time line as in old stuff, but they are just trying to reach the uneducated. I could be wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

Compared to Amsoil, all other products are inferior.
tongue.gif

Yep, another Amsoil paid for "independant lab" to do the tests but Amsoil to post the selected results. Next time just offer the money to an unbiased third party in the lubrication industry that does not receive advertising money from Amsoil and let them post the results without Amsoil first approving it...that will never happen. I am sure that every set of results go through a complete review to ensure Amsoil comes out looking superior. Then when the results are approved, they flood everyone with the results and be sure distributor pass on the info to sites like this and to their customers.

[ June 18, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

At first I wasn't going to respond to this post and maybe I really shouldn't respond to the bait, but here goes.

First, this was just published in the Amsoil monthly magazine. So Amsoil probably rolled it out in April 03 or so.

I find it interesting that Amsoil HQ used the "regular" 100% synthetic gear oil, not the Series 2000. I think this was a marketing thing, because folks always claim, "well what about the non-Series 2000?"

Yes, I too would like to see a shoot-out of the Redline, M1, Series 2000. I suspect Rat 407 is closest to the truth. Use a "household" name to compare against.

Lastly - It's as if other oil companies don't do these kind of marketing tests. Amsoil does some tests (YES Hoakey marketing KRAP) and here comes the potshots. I must admit that even some famous web site founders do some non-standard testing and use it for marketing....

AMSOIL runs the tests first in their own lab.
Nothing is published until they have had an independent lab run the same tests. I guess you could call that biased.

As far as running tests against non-synthetics:
What percentage of the users run synthetics? Maybe 10%, maybe not that high. The major target audience of AMSOIL, Mobil 1, etc is not the synthetic users, but the non-synthetic users.

In 26 years of using/selling AMSOIL, I have yet to see any of the comparisons refuted by the other companies-------

My two cents.

I have been an Amosil dealer for over 10 years now, simply to get the discounts. I have even attended one of their regional marking sessions/meetings where a senior chemist and otehr personnel presented etc. and have argued with them for many years over their selective marketing hype. (obviously to no avail) I was always upset with their selective reporting. That is they compare against two or three oils but report on selective tests on each one and only tests where Amsoil comes out on top. I would really like to see all the test results even those where Amsoil did not come out on top, no oil can be superior in all categories or tests but they only have selective reporting. It would not diminish my belief or thinking on Amsoil if they came in second or third on a few tests but overall on top etc. Never happen. Their basic reply was that they did not have space to print all results!!! Well, they still call they XL series "synthetic"!

Like most things in life I guess you need to take all marketing with a shaker of salt today, used to be a grain of salt but advertising has just gotten so sleazy in general.

As to gear oil, well, I have tried the Amsoil and now use Redline gear oil exclusively (still use the Amsoil oil and ATF) but Redline IMO, simply produces a better gear oil in a wider range of GL grades then does Amsoil, especially the GL-4 grade.

As to other companies refuting the claims, well, Amsoil simply is not a major player of the magnetude to warrant the effort IMO. 99% of customers on the street never see the marketing claims and even if they did could care less so why spend the money to refute a claim?

[ June 18, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

I agree that Amsoil will set up tests where they know they will beat whatever. This gear oil test seems to be just that. Aside from a recognizable brand name, does anyone know anything else the Valvoline has going for it??

Of course, Amsoil is not alone in "staging" tests.
wink.gif

As for Royal Purple and NAPA, it may have been just some stores in one region which carried it.

I believe some stores are company owned, others are franchisees, etc ... and the product lines varies from store to store depending on he franchisee. It's not just Royal Purple but a lot of automotive products ... like miscellaneous brands/displays seen on the parts counters. Those may be side-deals made by a gypsie (traveling jobber or sales rep) and the store owner.

--- Bror Jace

The following is a quote from the thread on this site called "Lubrication Engineers" oil. Their test results as stated by the chemist/engineer.

"We did test the Amsoil engine oil HDD 15w-40. It did do very well (as good as LE for low wear) but not as good for oxidation resistance. Amsoil asked if we would not print these results or their numbers so we have taken them off the list."

Now, that would have been truth in advertising.

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Yep, another Amsoil paid for "independant lab" to do the tests but Amsoil to post the selected results. Next time just offer the money to an unbiased third party in the lubrication industry that does not receive advertising money from Amsoil and let them post the results without Amsoil first approving it...that will never happen. I am sure that every set of results go through a complete review to ensure Amsoil comes out looking superior. Then when the results are approved, they flood everyone with the results and be sure distributor pass on the info to sites like this and to their customers.

Do you really think Amsoil is the only company that only let's the "good press" out, and hides the "bad press"? It happens every day with virtually every company.

Amsoil oil is not perfect. No oil is perfect. But Amsoil is constantly performing these tests in order to see how there oil is performing. And to see if any improvements need to be made. It's called Research & Developememt.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
The following is a quote from the thread on this site called "Lubrication Engineers" oil. Their test results as stated by the chemist/engineer.

"We did test the Amsoil engine oil HDD 15w-40. It did do very well (as good as LE for low wear) but not as good for oxidation resistance. Amsoil asked if we would not print these results or their numbers so we have taken them off the list."

My guess is that Amsoil objected to publishing an internally conducted test result and LE's lawyers agreed that not publishing was in their best interest. Had it been an independent lab test then Amsoil would not have said anything about it nor would LE have removed the results. Not very professional of LE to publish in the first place IMHO. Get independent testing done first before publishing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back