Clean Brake Rotors or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure this isn't mostly psychological? Tell someone you changed a part in their car and they think it drives different. Of course it drives different, the part is new and she is used to the old. Same thing happens when you get new tires, struts, shocks, etc. Doesn't mean it's bad.

Wow. BITOG'ers complain when family members ignore obvious symptoms. Then someone complains about an ungrateful family member who actually does notice something.

It's her car. She noticed something. She said something. That's a good thing.

I usually take special notice when my wife or daughter mention an issue with one of the cars because they typically don't nocite much until it's gone/broken. So, when they warn me early, I am there! This is also why I drive the vehicle kinda regularly so I can make an assessment of the vehicles health.

Last edited:
Ha... your daughter is an anomaly. My wife will drive a car that shakes, squeels, and rattles with smoke coming out of it and once I drive it and comment, "how long has it been doing that?" she just says "doing what?".

Kevin, I've got the best (worst) of both worlds. This daughter is very sensitive to everything on her car. She had a very minor pulse in the front rotors, but it was driving her crazy, so I changed the rotors. The rear brakes were worn out. Replaced with Advance platinum painted rotors and Wearever Gold ceramic pads. On the front, I used the platinum rotors but the Akebonos were barely worn after installing them in 2018. I'm going to take it for a spin and rebed the pads when she gets home tomorrow and see how it feels. Now, my other daughter is just like your wife, Kevin, oblivious to everything except whether it starts and runs.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I've always noticed that using akebono pads too. She'll get used to it. I don't especially like the minor loss of braking performance, but for the silent brake performance and lack of dust I can deal with it.

Noticed the same thing. Just slightly less braking performance than stock pads. I always thought the stock were a bit too grabby. Got used to it after a couple months and now I don't even notice it. Can't decide if I got used to it or if they got better after use. But I love how there's no dust. Factory always had the rims coated in black dust after a couple weeks. Stock wasn't noisy, just dusty.

I guess it's somewhat subjective given that Akebono is stock on a bunch of makes and models (especially imports).

They were not stock pads. I believe stock was some kind of semi metallic pad and Akebono were ceramic. They do make other kinds of pads for other applications, just that in this application, the ceramic pads were a little bit worse than stock pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back