'20 Soul is the New Gremlin Reincarnation?

Growing up, we had a blue one. Not sure of the year. It was in our family before/during the 71 dodge coronet wagon and 75 VW rabbit. I remember my dad liked it's "power". [censored], I feel old.

Edit: must have had one of the I6 engines. I don't know which one.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
My brother had a Gremlin X with a 304 V-8, headers, 4 barrell and a shift kit in the automatic transmission. He bought it brand new. It would run 15.10 in the quarter mile. I always like the Gremlins and I really don't dislike the Soul either. The Soul's appear to be reliable and easy to get in and out of and have plenty of power. This new stuff they are coming out with is pretty decent for the money.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
At least you would have an easy time LS swapping the Gremlin.

Back in the late 80's , a dude named Ron Schumann swapped a Buick stage 1 GS 455 into a Gremlin and made it all stock appearing....

Then cleaned house.

It ran 12's on street tires.

Originally Posted by andyd
The 304 was available in Gremlins. That means the 401 was a drop in
grin2.gif

The 401 was a drop in, no modifications needed. I had one. It turned 11.90s (with 9" slicks) and would pull the front tires off the ground at launch. I won a lot of money with that car. The 401 was a stock block low compression engine, but the gremlin only weighed 2500 lbs, proving the facts that there are no economical substitutes for large displacement and low weight.

Really funny that you posted this - I have always thought the Kia Soul is basically a modern Gremlin.
Slightly awkward, ‘upright’ styling with fairly useful amount of space; peppy, but not great power or mileage for the size; preferred by either seniors as a practical car, or younger people as a fun car.
Definetly ‘today’s Gremlin’!

Back