Yearly oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
What month do you change your oil and why. Please put brand.
August (Birthday)
Was Pennzoil Platinum but after mother's 012 Impala change at 7k don't trust. Will be Valvoline synthetic.

Spring time, April usually. Oil takes a beating during cold winter months here with all the moisture accumulated due to engine not getting up to temp, so I want to get it out right after Winter.

April or May in my 2003 GMC Sierra which is only driven enough for one OCI per year. Same rationale as Quattro Pete.

Truck gets Quaker State HM 5w30 and a Fram Ultra.

I do too many miles for mine to be yearly, however my In-laws don't do enough miles that they need it more than once a year so I typically do theirs at the end of the summer before the wet-fall weather comes in so it's fresh for the winter. Sometimes earlier if they have driven more miles in that year as was the case this year.

Amsoil SS 5w20 in both their 2017 Caravan and 2009 CRV.

I pull over at exactly 3000 miles and change it by the side of the road.

Just kidding!

I change it whenever each vehicle reaches its OCI mileage, which is 6K, 6-7K, and 7.5K. With 3 vehicles that works out to every other month, usually. If I'm doing other work like a tire rotation and I know it's going to be busy when it's due, I might change one a little ahead.

March-April - it'll be right about 15,000 miles by then.

I don't care if the oil gets all gunky over winter,
but I want clean oil to handle the extreme heat we see when pulling a trailer in Texas.

Did the Caliber in February. 1 year, 5,600 miles on Mobil 1 EP 5w20. Dropped off my UOA Sunday night, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get to Blackstone... will post in the UOA section when I get it.

My truck is in February. Why, because that was when I did my last oil change before deciding to do an annual oil change. Oil will vary depending on what is in my stash.
My Mom's Vue will probably be a November change for the reason above as well. She used to be when the oil change light came on (6500-8000 miles), but now drives much less. Only 2000 miles in past 4 months, and even less starting next month when she moves back into town. Her next change will be Valvoline Synpower 5w30.
My bike I recently decided to do annual instead of 2500 miles, so the 1 year mark is due in May (am at 1827 miles right now, may hit 2500 miles before that). Bike gets Peak 15w-40 Syn-Blend.

May/November. Temperate months with 6 month OCI's. This way I get fresh oil for both the hot summer months and the beginning of winter.

I use whatever quality oil was cheap in previous clearance sales. That happens to be QS HM semi-synthetic 5w-30. When that runs out then QSUD and PP 5w-30.

Last edited:
Its a yearly change for me every October. Only put around 4500 miles on the Pilot yearly.

Originally Posted by tiger862
What month do you change your oil and why. Please put brand.
August (Birthday)
Was Pennzoil Platinum but after mother's 012 Impala change at 7k don't trust. Will be Valvoline synthetic.

What happened to the Pennzoil at 7k?

I came out like syrup. Vehicle dropped oil and by looking how thick one would say it broke down. Never seen this when running Gold semi.

When I hit 1 year and it's any month of the year. Mobil 1, PP, PUP, Valvoline but usually Amsoil XL since most times when I go to WM the oil I want is out of stock.

Late fall (October). I thought fresh oil would be better for car in the winter. Usually Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. OCI is about 7-8k/yr.

Yearly? Yeah, not going to happen with my Fusion, since I drive roughly 30,000 miles per year. I just change it on whatever weekend falls closest to the 7,500 mile mark. This means 3-4 weekends per year. During the summer months, I may adjust this based on weather - if it's going to be 115+ on a particular weekend, but only 105 the weekend before or after, then I'll do it early or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back