What does "Delete Post" button do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Rand mentioned in another thread, the "Delete Post" button doesn't really do anything since we are not allowed to delete our posts, so why have it?

I imagine the mods can use it to delete posts, so maybe it should only be visible to the mods and not regular users?

Pete,

The software has the ability to allow users to delete their own posts, but we've disabled that since the beginning. Removing the ability doesn't removed the button.

Wayne

Originally Posted by Zee09
I don't see that on W10

You have to "Edit" your post first. Then you will see the "Delete Post" button.

We should be able to delete our own posts. Some times people make double posts....seen one today. Not everything needs to be archived. It just makes it harder to search for the good information. Another thing : Why is there 495 pages of "What are you listening to right now" ? Same with the Investors thread. Nothing wrong with them but there's 10 years of posts on them.

Originally Posted by Warstud
We should be able to delete our own posts.

Can you imagine the discontinuity that could cause in threads?

Originally Posted by wwillson

One could argue that ability to edit one's post could also cause discontinuity.

If we are allowed 30 mins to edit a post, then why not allow us 30 mins or even 10 mins to delete as well? This would help with the double post issue some people are having.

I used to be able to delete my post if I got to it really quickly, I think before anyone else read it. Pre-update, I'm sure.

Now I replace them with a single period which wastes everyone's time.

We should be able to delete our own posts. Some times people make double posts....seen one today.
"Report" and explain what's wrong

Not everything needs to be archived. It just makes it harder to search for the good information.

How in the world would either of those work ? Selective archival ? Who decides what's "good information" ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Not everything needs to be archived. It just makes it harder to search for the good information.

How in the world would either of those work ? Selective archival ? Who decides what's "good information" ?

hallstevenson - that's exactly the dilemma with archiving data.

IMO, there's no need for there to be a dilemma - archive everything (or nothing at all).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Yes selective archival.....or better yet.... selective deleting of threads.
I don't think it would be to hard deciding what information is good.

Thread Examples: Archive Or Delete

1) 2011 Silverado 6.2L starting issue -Archive
2) Repair Manual Question - Archive
3) White Milk Or Chocolate - Delete
4) What did you get for Christmas? - Delete

Basically only archive the technical forums, not the social ones? Going further then, why bother having them here at all ? If people consider them useful I don't know why they're not worth saving/backing up.

1) Basically only archive the technical forums, not the social ones? Not necessarily....there's threads on most every forum that are meaningless.

2) Going further then, why bother having them here at all ? Some people like the interaction of others. Everything goes except Religion and Politics.

3) If people consider them useful I don't know why they're not worth saving/backing up. Do you think the "What did you get for Christmas" thread is worth keeping archived? Is someone going to do a search for "What did you get for Christmas" ? I don't think so.

I think once these type of threads reach the 10th page they should be deleted.

1) Not necessarily....there's threads on most every forum that are meaningless.
You think they are. Someone else doesn't. Now what ?

3) Do you think the "What did you get for Christmas" thread is worth keeping archived? Is someone going to do a search for "What did you get for Christmas" ? I don't think so.
Have to admit, I didn't know this site had those type of threads. They are common at A LOT of other forums though so I'm not surprised. I don't take part in them at any forum I frequent either.

Going back to the archive question / issue - is there an issue ? Does the site have limited storage capacity ?

Originally Posted by wwillson

Just because one guy deletes all his threads made over the past 10 years one time somewhere
does not mean we can't have a 5 minute delete thread option.

When I have deleted a reply it was because of duplication, a simultaneous post by someone else or realizing the irrelevance of the post after reading other continued discussions in the thread.

Most use it in this way, just because one guy doesn't, doesn't mean you need to disable the function,
disable the guy who uses it to incite ,
they aren't hard to find and the coarse of action would be the same regardless of what they post or delete

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Just because one guy deletes all his threads made over the past 10 years one time somewhere

I have to ask - did that really happen ?

There is also 1,102 pages in the "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" forum that date back to 2005. These sales are over. Only need about 20 pages.

There is 245 pages in the "Items For Sale" forum that date back to 2005. Again...the sales are over. Only need about 20 pages.

There is 65 pages in the "Oil Industry and Related News" forum that date back to 2007. Most of the threads are old news or just someone asking the crowd where they think oil/gas prices are heading. How many pages do we need? idk

There is 645 pages in the "Tires & Wheels" forum that date back to 2004. Some of the old threads may be worth archiving... but advice about individual tires no longer apply since those tires were made 14 years ago. How many pages do we need? idk

There is 161 pages in the Racing Oils/Engines/Cars/Teams/Drivers forum that date back to 2004. I see UOA's and VOA's and general discussion and some threads with no replys. Many threads there aren't worth keeping. I also post there weekly about the Nascar races. It's a general discussion of the race among a few members here. No need to archive them for more than 1 month.
Thank You For Your Time

The 'items for sale' forum should definitely have threads pruned routinely. Also, make/encourage the thread starters to mark "sold" when applicable but the forum s/w may or may not support that (leaning towards .... 'no').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back