RIP John Harold Haynes (Haynes Manuals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
! can't count how many of these manuals I have had/used over the years. I used them a ton when I was into the 2.2/2.5 Mopar Turbo cars. .

Saved me a ton of money. RIP, to a guy I am sure we can all relate to.

Obituary

I was just reading his name an hour ago. I've known about Haynes manuals for a while but never had a person to attach to them until now.

I'll never forget the first manual I ever saw from Haynes for an old MGB me and a friend were working on. It was time for a clutch.

Step1 was "Remove engine"!

RIP.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I'll never forget the first manual I ever saw from Haynes for an old MGB me and a friend were working on. It was time for a clutch.

Step1 was "Remove engine"!

It was a right of passage to figure out those steps were elsewhere in the manual. Maybe they were more car guys than editor guys, but the editors of these manuals never could figure out they were allowed to reference other parts of the book.

The first thing I did after I bought my Bavaria in 1983 was buy a Haynes manual. A few weeks ago I picked another one up for the Clubman.
RIP.

RIP

We have bought Haynes manuals for our vehicles over the last ten years. Bought one for my brother's Civic, one for our dad's 2006 Tundra, one for our 1994 Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo. Tried to find one for our 2001 Isuzu Trooper, but, haven't seen one that goes up to those later years.

They have been a valuable and helpful tool when I have worked on the vehicles. Since buying torque wrenches a couple of years ago, I have been using the torque settings listed in the Haynes manual when I work on the cars.

Double edged sword those Haynes manuals were.
I ALWAYS maintain that such a manual can help get you started. I preferred Haynes to Chilton's both before and after Chilton's style revision.

The claim that "each manual is based on a complete teardown..." couldn't've been true. Too much was left out.

On the Volvo boards the term, "Haynes Joke Book" is a well established nickname. Those darn European ones in hardcover were double the price.

RIP JHH

Interesting, I never knew the history behind those manuals. I have bought a few of them over the years before the internet was available to get any info you need. Still have them somewhere in storage.

RIP sir. I always preferred his manuals to the Chilton's. The Chilton's covered too many different models and wasn't specific enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back