Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Well, it's hard for an audi to go in the ditch when it spends most of the time in the garage.

But it's true.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I think the anger is coming from another direction. Foolish drivers can be driving any brand including audi.

Of course. But when people are indoctrinated that they drive best this, best that, they think they can do anything.
But apparently there are a lot of foolish Subaru drivers, considering how many of them is in the ditch when snow hits.

Yup subaru drivers that manage to make it every where in the toughest states in the toughest winter..absolutely get no where and yet they buy more
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
and the tougher it gets the higher percentage of those people that have no clue how to drive (except you) also keep buying 'em.
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

It is understatement to say how [censored] most drivers of Subaru are (or JEEP, this is another category) when you pass them on snowy road. It is another level of anger right there.
And yes, this Subaru was doing everything possible to be fastest guy on the road. Problem were: tires.

How would you know? Delusional much??

Originally Posted by fdcg27
For what we paid for our Foresters and what the older one has endured with few problems, I'm quite happy with these cars.
My wife finds the Forester to be a safe and easy commuter in awful winter conditions and she is a competent but non-enthusiast driver.
She could probably leave most posters in FWD or RWD cars for dead regardless of tires without even trying, since she wouldn't be and wouldn't care either way.
The Foresters do have outstanding suspension travel which allows them to deal with bad pavement in a way that no current VAG product can, nor can most current MB and BMW models, even the CUVs.
Subarus are not the ideal car for every driver, which is the reason that we bought an Accord Hybrid for my use, but they are very good cars that are very capable in bad winter conditions, even on the often derided OEM Yokohamas.
They are also a compelling value for what you get, just like my Accord Hybrid.
Can't say that of any Euro car unless you buy one at the pennies on the dollar used price, which you don't see with Subarus.

Alternate universe is apparently real. No wonder so many Subaru's are in ditch when it snows.

I hope that you enjoy the reality of the alternate universe in which you apparently dwell, you know, the one with bunches of AWD Subies in the ditch.
Doesn't happen, as I indicated to you in the post you quote.
Even my wife, who does not love driving and couldn't care less would have a laugh at your expense.

I hope that you enjoy the reality of the alternate universe in which you apparently dwell, you know, the one with bunches of AWD Subies in the ditch.
Doesn't happen, as I indicated to you in the post you quote.
Even my wife, who does not love driving and couldn't care less would have a laugh at your expense.
[/quote]
I truthfully have never in my life see a subaru ion a ditch at least in the last 12 years. I can say this because I would have stopped to help.
I can't say for sure that I have seen one off the road with no driver (stuck) but I don't recall any.

We know the internet is the internet for sure. But at least make CREDIBLE claims instead of looking..well I won't say what I am thinking
smile.gif

I think many compared old crosstrek with others, but the truth the new crosstrek has improved a lot. Yes the cvt has slow response, but there is a workaround to improve. Handling wise is one of the best for crossover and most comfortable. US top version comes with full preloaded of accessories, that makes good car without further need of modification. Forester XT was good fast car, but the new 2019 was slow car, so totally different car. Guess one need to prioritize to appreciate the car.

I truthfully have never in my life see a subaru ion a ditch at least in the last 12 years. I can say this because I would have stopped to help.
I can't say for sure that I have seen one off the road with no driver (stuck) but I don't recall any.

We know the internet is the internet for sure. But at least make CREDIBLE claims instead of looking..well I won't say what I am thinking
smile.gif

LOL, well come here where things get dicy at 10-12,000ft. I thought Subaru is made for that.
That is of course if head gasket does not give up there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kr_bitog
I think many compared old crosstrek with others, but the truth the new crosstrek has improved a lot. Yes the cvt has slow response, but there is a workaround to improve. Handling wise is one of the best for crossover and most comfortable. US top version comes with full preloaded of accessories, that makes good car without further need of modification. Forester XT was good fast car, but the new 2019 was slow car, so totally different car. Guess one need to prioritize to appreciate the car.

Demand of market. Subaru is not aiming anymore for people who would care about XT. That is why they for example streamlined Outback to CVT only and generally most of their line up. Average buyer of new Subaru is same as average driver of Toyota, just wants AWD.
Tomorrow give them inline 4 cyl, and POS AWD from RAV4, market it the way they market now, and they will not see a dent in sale numbers.

I've watched quite a few off-road videos on youtube with the Crosstrek, especially the one with the X-Mode. I still believe their AWD system is better than the competition. The videos I've seen are not put out by Suburu either. They are more capable off-road then one would think....

The 2019 has true torque vectoring. The low center of gravity of the boxer engine, with the symmetry of the AWD I believe give it a sligh edge in overall traction.

Demand of market. Subaru is not aiming anymore for people who would care about XT. That is why they for example streamlined Outback to CVT only and generally most of their line up. Average buyer of new Subaru is same as average driver of Toyota, just wants AWD.
Tomorrow give them inline 4 cyl, and POS AWD from RAV4, market it the way they market now, and they will not see a dent in sale numbers.

The manuals are going away because few buyers want them anymore. Quite a change from just twenty years ago, when manual Subies, Hondas and Toyotas were easily found in good numbers on any lot since many buyers, me included, wanted them.
WRT giving the Forester the drivetrain of the RAV, I'd doubt it.
Cheaper for sure, but many Subaru buyers are repeat customers, as were we, and actually do understand the advantages that the Subaru AWD system and the flat four bring.
This type of parts sharing would totally destroy the brand equity that Subaru enjoys and that allows Subaru to get up out of the price fight between Mazda, Toyota and Honda in the medium CUV segment.

The manuals are going away because few buyers want them anymore. Quite a change from just twenty years ago, when manual Subies, Hondas and Toyotas were easily found in good numbers on any lot since many buyers, me included, wanted them.
WRT giving the Forester the drivetrain of the RAV, I'd doubt it.
Cheaper for sure, but many Subaru buyers are repeat customers, as were we, and actually do understand the advantages that the Subaru AWD system and the flat four bring.
This type of parts sharing would totally destroy the brand equity that Subaru enjoys and that allows Subaru to get up out of the price fight between Mazda, Toyota and Honda in the medium CUV segment.

Toyota is slowly chipping Subaru. They kicked out LSD from all but STi, They are only using CVT in case some dead owners of Subaru wake up so they can drive. Yes, Subaru had, (emphasis on HAD) cult fallowing when similar to SAAB, but this is far from what Subaru was some 15-20 years ago. And you will see, Boxer will become too expensive (and it is not like they are that good, but they did finally solved head gasket issue), than Toyota will say: well, let's develop RAV4 and Forester on same platform. Then it will be Toyota AWD, just with some computer gimmick so Subaru drivers can still think they have best AWD. And, all that will not make a dent in sale, because Subaru is anyway for long time interesting to drive as my new refrigerator I bought on Saturday. That is type of drivers Subaru is going after, and if they doubt it, Subaru will make commercial so they could feel better about that refrigerator.
As for AWD, this is good video of what drivers in Colorado have to endure when average driver of Subaru decides to "take on snow."
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5006849/1/tfl-snow-tire-test

Last edited:
edy, you are a really funny guy even though that isn't what you intend.
I would love to wave bye-bye to you while accelerating away from you uphill in real snow in one of our Foresters as I'm quite confident I could do.
Would be even funnier were my wife driving while waving back at you in your stuck whatever.
I get that you're not a fan of Subarus, but you appear ignorant of their actual capabilities.

I would love to wave bye-bye to you while accelerating away from you uphill in real snow in one of our Foresters as I'm quite confident I could do.
Would be even funnier were my wife driving while waving back at you in your stuck whatever.
I get that you're not a fan of Subarus, but you appear ignorant of their actual capabilities.

:):):):)
Those Foresters are so dynamic I would leave them on foot in snow using tennis shoes. Did you actually watched video? Not my fault you bought marketing.
It is not Subaru, it is just that I do not like refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, dish washers etc. on the road.

Last edited:

Yeah, his posts would be considered satire if not for the fact that he is dead serious and so arrogant.

You can find anything on the interwebs.

Audi stuck in snow compilation.

https://youtu.be/R_mf-y8lIRw

Very true.

I still think the Subaru AWD is among the best. It's always a 60/40 (CVT) or 50/50 split (VC in the manual). Lower center of gravity helps. Most important though are the tires you pair an AWD with. I've had a Subaru and it's quite impressive how good they are in the snow/sand, with the right tires. The AWD systems in the other cars have become much better and I'd have no problem with any of them. The Subaru system though is still slighly better IMO, as the distribution is greater than most that are 90 to 100% front wheel drive then kick the power to the rear. But the symmetrical aspect and lower center of gravity also give it an edge IMO. You can find videos that make each look good or bad. I've watched enough to know the Subaru system is very good and capable and as I've said I've owned one and put it through some off-road use.

It's not that Subaru is the only one capable of making a great AWD vehicle or has some secret formula that no one can replicate. They just put a greater emphasis on their system and build the car around the AWD system.

Watch this:

Originally Posted by Brigadier

Yeah, his posts would be considered satire if not for the fact that he is dead serious and so arrogant.

Of course I am dead serious.
Arrogant? no. I am not Subaru driver.

Originally Posted by buster
You can find anything on the interwebs.

Audi stuck in snow compilation.

https://youtu.be/R_mf-y8lIRw

Very true.

I still think the Subaru AWD is among the best. It's always a 60/40 (CVT) or 50/50 split (VC in the manual). Lower center of gravity helps. Most important though are the tires you pair an AWD with. I've had a Subaru and it's quite impressive how good they are in the snow/sand, with the right tires. The AWD systems in the other cars have become much better and I'd have no problem with any of them. The Subaru system though is still slighly better IMO, as the distribution is greater than most that are 90 to 100% front wheel drive then kick the power to the rear. But the symmetrical aspect and lower center of gravity also give it an edge IMO. You can find videos that make each look good or bad. I've watched enough to know the Subaru system is very good and capable and as I've said I've owned one and put it through some off-road use.

It's not that Subaru is the only one capable of making a great AWD vehicle or has some secret formula that no one can replicate. They just put a greater emphasis on their system and build the car around the AWD system.

Watch this:

Subaru AWD is good, no doubt. But as video I put above indicates, it is good only as tires are (though that hair dryer under the hood does not help at very high altitude or CVT that cuts off power).

I did watch the video. There is no question you hate Subaru and Toyota. Don't try to convince the rest of us that they are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back