Toyota / Denso OEM Oil Filter, 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about Toyota / Denso OEM oil filter? For what I can tell Toyota's filter is just a plain conventional filter which is good for 5K OCI but since a lot of the newer toyota's call for 10k OCI how does the filter hold up with 10K OCI?

Sounds kind of stupid that Toyota would recommend 10K OCI and use a conventional filter or am I missing something?

I service 4 Toyota vehicles, two that I own a 2009 camry and 2014 Sienna and my brother in laws 2010 Tundra and 2013 Venza, I use Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1 synthetic oil and have been using Fram Ultra filters with 5-7.5K OCI and thought about switching to Toyota's oil filter since I can get them at $4.40 a filter versus $11-14 for the Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
What do you guys think about Toyota / Denso OEM oil filter? For what I can tell Toyota's filter is just a plain conventional filter which is good for 5K OCI but since a lot of the newer toyota's call for 10k OCI how does the filter hold up with 10K OCI?

Sounds kind of stupid that Toyota would recommend 10K OCI and use a conventional filter or am I missing something?

It also seems..... silly
smirk2.gif
.... to jump to the conclusion that they would recommend a 10k oci and sell an oil filter only good for 5k.....

Do you think Toyota got this wrong or could it maybe be that your assumption is misguided???

The Toyota filter will work.
If it makes anyone feel better, swap it out at 5K.

FYI, I struggle with the 10K OCI, but that's just me.
Anything over 7K and I freak out.

When I had the highlander it called for 16,000km (10,000 mile) OCI's and that was with a Toyota OEM oil filter.
The Severe duty schedule was 5K miles (8,000km).

I have a cartridge (not spin-on canister) filtered Toyota, the Corolla 1.8L. The OEM filter is known to be very free-flowing. My Toyota OCI reminder lights at 5K which was the old OCI, but supposedly it is back-spec'ed to 10K. This is handled at the dealer because you are still supposed to come in and get a tire rotation every 5K miles, whether or not it is due for an oil change.

There are all kinds of conventional filter material. For free-flowing filters, you'll get your best filtering after the first 5K when it starts to fill up a bit. I am long out of warranty, so I split the difference and change it, and the filter around 6-7.5K. You don't necessarily need a high end synthetic filter for longer OCI's. However you want both better, low micron filtration and long OCI's, you'll need a high end synthetic.

Just seems like toyota is behind with their oil filters. Toyota went from a 5K OCI to 10K OCI which is a huge jump and kept the same filter and that just doesn't make any sense with a conventional filter.

I am not a huge fan of 10K OCI, they can be done but you need a really good filter and UOA and the average sure doesn't think about either of these things. Plus if you run 10K OCI you need to keep an eye on the oil level and I bet mostly people hardly ever open their hood between oil changes unless they are maintenance freaks like us here on BITOG.

I really like using Fram Ultra but it is $10 more than a oem Toyota filter just doesn't seem worth it.

Anyone know the efficiency rating on Toyota's / denso oil filter?

Just seems like toyota is behind with their oil filters. Toyota went from a 5K OCI to 10K OCI which is a huge jump and kept the same filter and that just doesn't make any sense with a conventional filter.

I am not a huge fan of 10K OCI, they can be done but you need a really good filter and UOA and the average sure doesn't think about either of these things. Plus if you run 10K OCI you need to keep an eye on the oil level and I bet mostly people hardly ever open their hood between oil changes unless they are maintenance freaks like us here on BITOG.

Perhaps you answered your question already before posting and just want the confirmation?

Do we know the Denso filter is exactly the same as before?

Any long oci is always dependent on the weakest link. A TGDI engine may not be a good candidate for a 10k oci.

I'm going to go agains the flow here. I don't like the standard filter, it looks cheaply made and with no support only glue holding it together, I changed it to a Toyota TRD filter, so much better built, but the cost is $25 vs $6 for the standard. Makes me sleep better.
01.gif

I really like using Fram Ultra but it is $10 more than a oem Toyota filter just doesn't seem worth it.

Anyone know the efficiency rating on Toyota's / denso oil filter?

It doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Perhaps you answered your question already before posting and just want the confirmation?

Do we know the Denso filter is exactly the same as before?

Any long oci is always dependent on the weakest link. A TGDI engine may not be a good candidate for a 10k oci.

I don't know if the filter is exactly the same but it sure doesn't look like it changed. If something change it isn't noticeable.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I'm going to go agains the flow here. I don't like the standard filter, it looks cheaply made and with no support only glue holding it together, I changed it to a Toyota TRD filter, so much better built, but the cost is $25 vs $6 for the standard. Makes me sleep better.
01.gif

I thought the same thing that it looked cheap but since Toyota keeps using it must be working out good.

3 out of the 4 Toyota's that I service use a cartridge oil filter and the OEM filters don't have any end caps, they are held together by glue which doesn't mean they are cheap just looks cheap to my eyes.

Originally Posted by kschachn
How do they look cheap? I've always thought the Denso Toyota filters looked pretty good.
Probably because they don't have the metal end caps so beloved by bitogers who don't think very hard.

The Toyota cartridge I took out after about 18k miles looked very good, essentially like new (other than obviously oily). I have more confidence it wasn't allowing oil to bypass around the ends or between pleats than I'd have with any other-brand equivalent I've seen, including more expensive ones. That's aside from Toyota's media efficiency, which rumored to be only mediocre.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by kschachn
How do they look cheap? I've always thought the Denso Toyota filters looked pretty good.
Probably because they don't have the metal end caps so beloved by bitogers who don't think very hard.

The Toyota cartridge I took out after about 18k miles looked very good, essentially like new (other than obviously oily). I have more confidence it wasn't allowing oil to bypass around the ends or between pleats than I'd have with any other-brand equivalent I've seen, including more expensive ones. That's aside from Toyota's media efficiency, which rumored to be only mediocre.

18K miles is impressive for a conventional filter!

18K miles is impressive for a conventional filter!
That's easy, on a clean engine that has decent air filtration and isn't generating much to clog the filter. On my previous car, I ran a lot of low-priced spin-on filters about the same distance per filter (i.e., 3 oil changes), with no ill effects I could find other than the minor one of adbvs that became lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back