Project Farm tests Amazon Basics Syn Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched this on YouTube, and considering how many posts and questions there have been on here about Amazon Basics over the past couple of months, I thought I'd share. Not fully comprehensive, but does definitely give a good idea of how it handles extreme temperatures.

Not sure if he did this intentionally, but it seems a little unfair to test 2 synthetics against a conventional. I bet Valvoline synth would perform closer to the M1 and the Amazon.

Originally Posted by RF Overlord
Not sure if he did this intentionally, but it seems a little unfair to test 2 synthetics against a conventional. I bet Valvoline synth would perform closer to the M1 and the Amazon.

I think his goal was most likely to be able to compare it to both a highly-respected name-brand synthetic and a brand-name conventional, to see where it fell in between the two.

Having the amazonbasics be the only high mileage oil is also a bit strange to me, but probably doesn't matter all that much.
At least they are all 10W30s.

The point to take may be that just about any reputable motor oil is fine. At some point we are splitting hairs. Tests of synthetic v conventional in the 1980s had samples turning solid at those low temps.

amazon blended by warren aka super-tech maybe, of course an oil blender can taylor any blend for price as well as performance, interesting for sure but is the amazon a thinner 10W as we know there is a range in centistokes for any said oil viscosity

While everything I've seen would indicate that the Amazon oil is just fine, I have to wonder how much they're selling of it. I mean, sure, WE know it's ok, but your average person is not going to associate Amazon with motor oil, and I doubt any oil change shops will be stocking it, unless Amazon wants to expand into that market as well.

The Amazon oil says available in one to two months. If you need to change your oil now you will have to get something else.

Blah blah blah. It's supertech in an Amazon bottle and is sufficient. Just cheaper and more readily available at Walmart.

Originally Posted by benjy
amazon blended by warren aka super-tech maybe, of course an oil blender can taylor any blend for price as well as performance, interesting for sure but is the amazon a thinner 10W as we know there is a range in centistokes for any said oil viscosity

Back when the Dexos lists were on line, the Supertech shared various licence numbers with other oil from low tier brands...clearly same oil, different bottle.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by benjy

Back when the Dexos lists were on line, the Supertech shared various licence numbers with other oil from low tier brands...clearly same oil, different bottle.

Somebody on here tracked the lists down in their new spot (not me)...
https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/index.html

I posted a thread a while back about amazonbasics, MAG 1, Supertech, and other 5W30 synths having the same d1G2 license.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4983255/dexos1-gen-2-license-d10386hg025

Originally Posted by PimTac
The Amazon oil says available in one to two months. If you need to change your oil now you will have to get something else.

Like Supertech the same stuff different label.

Did you see the difference in wear scars.
27.gif

lol.gif

It has been stated multiple times here that you can get the same exact oil cheaper at Walmart. It's called Supertech.

The convenience is costing you a few dollars.

It has been stated multiple times here that you can get the same exact oil cheaper at Walmart. It's called Supertech.

It's something I'm always torn about...going "name brand" or just buying the Super Tech 0w20 synthetic. I've done both. I mean I'm only saving like $10 bucks going with the Super Tech, but then I start to think...ok ten bucks is ten bucks. If you're getting basically the same thi, why throw away ten bucks?

My truck is nearing the point where I'm going to change the diff fluids. Well right away I'm seeing the super tech synthetic 75/90 diff fluid and it's only $11. The Mobil 1 is $16. I'll need at least three...it's $15 bucks in savings. Again no big deal but why throw it away?

Originally Posted by Railrust

It's something I'm always torn about...going "name brand" or just buying the Super Tech 0w20 synthetic. I've done both. I mean I'm only saving like $10 bucks going with the Super Tech, but then I start to think...ok ten bucks is ten bucks. If you're getting basically the same thi, why throw away ten bucks?

My truck is nearing the point where I'm going to change the diff fluids. Well right away I'm seeing the super tech synthetic 75/90 diff fluid and it's only $11. The Mobil 1 is $16. I'll need at least three...it's $15 bucks in savings. Again no big deal but why throw it away?

Because some people always need to have "the best" even if it's on an inexpensive vehicle. I used to do it. Granted I don't use SuperTech anything except maybe windshield washer fluid, but I understand it's more than acceptable and made by a major lubricant company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back