2017 Kia Sportage recall notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbsup2.gif

20181227_075136.jpg

cool, glad you did it. So the dealer doesn't complain about non-OEM filter?
I actually just ordered Purolator Boss after seeing your other post
smile.gif

Kinda nice they change it for $10 with parts provided, somehow here it's a flat $35 no matter who provides parte. Or maybe I didnt ask for lower price lol. \
Also, you masked your name but no phone number, just in case you care

Originally Posted by SlavaB
cool, glad you did it. So the dealer doesn't complain about non-OEM filter?
I actually just ordered Purolator Boss after seeing your other post
smile.gif

Kinda nice they change it for $10 with parts provided, somehow here it's a flat $35 no matter who provides parte. Or maybe I didnt ask for lower price lol. \
Also, you masked your name but no phone number, just in case you care

Yeah, they're a really down to earth dealership. As long as the filter shows on the manufacturer's website as a replacement part for OEM, There is no issue. They even introduce you to the Technician working on the car in case you have special instructions or questions.

Yeah, ref the phone, i missed it, but thankfully everyone here is pretty mature.

Last edited:
I received my letter today. It is for all 2016-2018 Sorento vehicles with the 2.0L TGDI or 2.4L GDI engines. Also includes the lifetime warranty coverage regarding repairs needed due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.

A few weeks ago I noticed this recall applied to my 2011 Sonata with the 2.4L.

After doing some forum searching, it is an ecu re-calibration which throws the car into "limp home mode" when it detects excessive knock.

Mine pings regularly I'm interested in seeing what happens. I have about a year left on the 10 year engine warranty.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
The reasoning makes no sense. The fail years and 30 oil changes after manufacturing. The debris should be long gone. My step son's Hyundai 2.0t had the first recall years ago with the new orange dipstick. Said should be ok. A few months back the motor just stopped on the way home. 105k miles or so. Checked oil, full of metal dust. New motor free from the dealer. It took 4 months and had a free rental the whole time.

New to this forum. I have been doing little reading and it appears that Kia and Hyundai has been having rod bearing failures for years on 2.0T & 2.4 going back to 2011.

Same issue on 2018 engines now? How can they not cleaned the crank very well for years?

2019-02-11_15-35-05.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by waid302
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
The reasoning makes no sense. The fail years and 30 oil changes after manufacturing. The debris should be long gone. My step son's Hyundai 2.0t had the first recall years ago with the new orange dipstick. Said should be ok. A few months back the motor just stopped on the way home. 105k miles or so. Checked oil, full of metal dust. New motor free from the dealer. It took 4 months and had a free rental the whole time.

New to this forum. I have been doing little reading and it appears that Kia and Hyundai has been having rod bearing failures for years on 2.0T & 2.4 going back to 2011.

Same issue on 2018 engines now? How can they not cleaned the crank very well for years?

No it really is just a good PR move that helps them get to failing engines faster (via the "limp home mode") prior to a full "lock up" IF that engine has the defect. Upon getting the update, you get a lifetime engine warranty. The actual engine debris issue was resolved back in 2012 or so. Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) and an unlimited miles/unlimited time warranty. I've been a very happy camper as a result. Took about a week for them to do the replacement at no charge (including the free rental car).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) ...

Just looked up Car complaints & NHTSA for 2017 Kia Sportage and engine failures are coming in including for 2018.

So there is no issue with engine debris in late model 2.0 & 2.5 ?

Waid

Originally Posted by waid302
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) ...

Just looked up Car complaints & NHTSA for 2017 Kia Sportage and engine failures are coming in including for 2018.

So there is no issue with engine debris in late model 2.0 & 2.5 ?

Waid

I don't believe so. Kia seems to want to use 'debris' issue as a way to not admit they had a design problem that ran for several years. Either way, they are providing free replacements with a lifetime engine warranty for all owners. Kinda hard to beat that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back