New Oils: Rotella & M1 Truck-SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now Mobil1 & Shell have truck-SUV specific oils. Clever to target that audience. I've always thought that if you wanted more performance out of an oil, you got the "Extended Performance" products from Mobil or Castrol Edge, or maybe went to Pennzoil's Ultra oil, or just starting using Amsoil. This will at least steer consumers towards products that help with towing & hauling heat better.

Mobil1 Truck & SUV oil is not dexos1 Gen2, yet will work for any gas non-GM truck engine anyway. They claim a "10% boost in an additive that helps prevent deposit formation and protects against wear", which I guess could be boron. Not sure. A VOA or UOA later might reveal a difference compared to the usual levels of boron used in Mobil1 silver bottle and others.

Saw "Shell Rotella Gas Truck" (SRGT) 5w30 at Walmart today. After reading the Shell Q&A, I guess the only difference is that the SRGT has "more antioxidants" for those "larger vehicle engines", as Shell says, compared to Pennzoil synthetics(?). I never realized "larger" engines need more antioxidants that smaller engines. Maybe just a poor choice of wording in their fluff marketing Q&A exercise. ...
The new Rotella is dexos1 Gen2, notably.
They also claim on the jug that its "All Mileage" which could I assume mean it has some extra seal conditioners like High Mileage oils have. Again, not clear on what they are doing exactly.

[Linked Image]

RotellaGasTruck.jpg

That's OK, the SRGT Q&A we had here didn't answer much of anything either. I still don't believe it's any better than the (far cheaper) T5 HDEO, other than the GDI issues. And we all know Magnatec 5W30 has been showing pretty great results in the GDI Ecoboost engines.

With trucks leading the charge in vehicle sales it only makes sense to create a truck specific oil for all those new trucks. Perhaps new truck owners doesn't know much about oil and see these products made especially for trucks and buy it so they can get the very best for their baby. Pretty good thinking on Shell and Mobil's part.

Now here at bitog we're oil fanatics and look at these things as just a twist of advertising. Myself, I'm pretty sure these new truck oils don't vary much from the ordinary formulations we've been seeing excepting a few ppm of this or that added here and there. Are the prices for these truck specific oils higher than the regular M1 and PP they are better than?

Originally Posted by double vanos
With trucks leading the charge in vehicle sales it only makes sense to create a truck specific oil for all those new trucks.

I think that pretty much says it all. Think about it, Ford's new stance on cars, and others following. SUV's and trucks are killing it terms of sales vs. cars so it makes perfect sense to target the truck and SUV market with an oil specifically targeting those vehicles. Most people are not as educated about oil as Bitog members are.
wink.gif

Marketing. For all the guys who own huge trucks to inflate their ego, now they have a truck oil to buy instead of wimpy car oil.

I see the recent Q and A thread was locked.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Marketing. For all the guys who own huge trucks to inflate their ego, now they have a truck oil to buy instead of wimpy car oil.

I have been waiting for the Q&A answers, or is it not going to happen?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That's OK, the SRGT Q&A we had here didn't answer much of anything either. I still don't believe it's any better than the (far cheaper) T5 HDEO, other than the GDI issues. And we all know Magnatec 5W30 has been showing pretty great results in the GDI Ecoboost engines.

Yeah, only She'll Product I use is Rotella T 10w30 conventional and SAE 30 they make

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by PimTac

I have been waiting for the Q&A answers, or is it not going to happen?

Look up. It got some negative comments. Some were deleted.

Are the prices for these truck specific oils higher than the regular M1 and PP they are better than?
Priced low. $24 per 5qt jug at walmart, comparable to Pennz Platinum or M1. Cheaper than M1 Extended Performance and Annual Protection and the premium Castrol Edge Ext Perf products which recently went to 20k OCI recomendations.

Big marketing win for this SRGT product: The word "Rotella" in it may cause consumers to think "Hey, my gas PU can have Rotella like the big trucks. Cool." At its price point, its a bargain really.

The older gas cars, trucks, boat, & OPE already get "truck" oil, usually 15W40 Delvac 1300, Mystik JT-8 10W30, and Rotella T5 10W30. Without any real information on the new Rotella gas oil, I'm not going to change what already works, does the job for less money, and even has ZDDP to protect flat tappets & cams. Maybe if I had a newer GM truck that needed Dexos 1 Gen 2 it would be a different story, but there's little chance of me buying a new $35k+ truck when the old ones can do the same job.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
methinks it is high mileage oil with more zddp
Both these 'truck' oils are SN, which means ZDDP is limited (phosphorus at 800 ppm). A quick look at some poplular full syn 0w20's at PQIA shows ZDDP is already being maxed out to the SN limit. I'm seeing typically 750 ppm to 785 ppm phosphorus. Not much room to raise it. .... On the "High Mileage" issue, Rotella does claim "All-Mileage" which might imply they have extra seal conditioners like Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn dexos1 Gen2 oil does. You can still meet the seal swell limits of dexos1 Gen2 and also put in a little extra seal conditioner as Valvoline has proven. If Shell Rotella does that, they aren't saying anything explicitly about it on their website anyway, so unknown really.

They had the "Truck and SUV" label years ago, they may have put it on hiatus for a bit.
I actually have some "Turbo Diesel Truck" 5W40 on my shelf currently. Marketing is comical sometimes.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Are the prices for these truck specific oils higher than the regular M1 and PP they are better than?
Priced low. $24 per 5qt jug at walmart, comparable to Pennz Platinum or M1. Cheaper than M1 Extended Performance and Annual Protection and the premium Castrol Edge Ext Perf products which recently went to 20k OCI recomendations.

Big marketing win for this SRGT product: The word "Rotella" in it may cause consumers to think "Hey, my gas PU can have Rotella like the big trucks. Cool." At its price point, its a bargain really.

It's a marketing win like AP was for Mobil.

Protect against wear.......UHMMM, are you sure?

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-comparison?p1=%7bf7037cd7-c521-439f-a1ec-c107bbce1376%7d&p2=%7b13d37eac-ed45-4e21-ba36-944912a51197%7d

Originally Posted by BLND1

It's a marketing win like AP was for Mobil.

It will be a marketing win for us, when Auto Zone and others blow it out for low ball prices. My bet is that's what happens later this year.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
methinks it is high mileage oil with more zddp
Both these 'truck' oils are SN, which means ZDDP is limited (phosphorus at 800 ppm). A quick look at some poplular full syn 0w20's at PQIA shows ZDDP is already being maxed out to the SN limit. I'm seeing typically 750 ppm to 785 ppm phosphorus. Not much room to raise it. .... On the "High Mileage" issue, Rotella does claim "All-Mileage" which might imply they have extra seal conditioners like Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn dexos1 Gen2 oil does. You can still meet the seal swell limits of dexos1 Gen2 and also put in a little extra seal conditioner as Valvoline has proven. If Shell Rotella does that, they aren't saying anything explicitly about it on their website anyway, so unknown really.

Some studies showed that ZDDP is a powerful LSPI mitigator...wouldn't be surprised if d1G2 and SN+ oils tend to be near the limit to help pass the LSPI tests.
https://www.infineuminsight.com/articles/passenger-cars/quenching-low-speed-pre-ignition/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back