2015 Skyactiv OCV Failed Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having the OCV replaced about 2 months ago, I noticed yesterday that it is leaking again. I was told they either didn't install it right or there is a crankcase vacuum issue. Taking it to the dealer December 12th. I'm curious what they find. I'm taking it to a different dealer this time. Car is still under warranty (55k miles).

D823480D-2340-44DC-970C-98AFE4A62C48.jpeg

333D519A-397E-40ED-A2C2-113D8C52801B.jpeg

I'm going to see if the PCV is pulling a vacuum later today by pulling the oil cap when the car is running and putting my hand over the filler. Thanks for sharing that AZjeff.
smile.gif

Does your engine have a lot of blowby? If I remove the oil cap while the engine is running it sounds like a worn out diesel and sprays oil droplets all over.

Not that I'm aware of. Oil stays on full mark through the entire interval and fairly golden color. There was one time (last winter) due to extremely short trips to work (less than 7 miles in severe cold) where the oil level went over the top fill mark, but that was from fuel dilution. I have no explanation for this other than either the OCV is faulty, installed wrong or there is a crankcase vacuum issue.

The dealer that did the previous job botched the valve cover gasket and had to redo it. Hopefully this dealer does a much better job. The manager working with me is aware of the previous situation. I just have to hope I get a tech that isn't a dope.

E150GT, nearly any inline 4 will do the same as you describe... there is not a lot of crankcase volume, and with the pistons pumping up and down there is a lot of air movement that will blow some oil back up through the drain holes into the head and create the issue you describe.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
E150GT, nearly any inline 4 will do the same as you describe... there is not a lot of crankcase volume, and with the pistons pumping up and down there is a lot of air movement that will blow some oil back up through the drain holes into the head and create the issue you describe.

True, but the OCV are not supposed to leak regardless.

Possible. I'm just really irritated because they rushed the job last time and didn't properly seal the valve cover gasket. I had to take the car back 2x for them to fix it right. It was a rush job. They worked on the recall and the OCV at the same time and rushed it through. I've heard not so good things about this dealer too. So now I'm going to the better one and the manager knows the entire situation so they better get it right this time.

Technically, the seal failed - not the OCV itself.

I have one of these seals on my shelf and it appears to be a "press fit" type seal. If I recall correctly, this is a plastic cover, and plastic covers are usually not good candidates for press-fit type seals to be replaced. Nissan VQ35 valve covers with non-replaceable spark plug tube seals come to mind.

So, perhaps the cover itself is slightly deformed in that area and this is why it is not sealing?

Hmmmm that's a very good point Critic. What are the chances the dealer tech will even think of that? LOL

Maybe I will bring this up to the them when I drop it off.

While all The fancy tech stuff is groovy, the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog up the pipes.

Originally Posted by CT8
While all The fancy tech stuff is groovy, the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog up the pipes.

Maybe but the old cars were constantly being worked on as well.

Dealership is replacing VC/Seal/OCV and it will be covered under warranty. I went to the dealer this morning to drop the car off. Service writer wrote up the problem wrong, so he re-wrote it. Service manager had one of their senior techs come out and I explained the problem. They called me back about an hour later and said it will be covered. I'm pretty happy they are going to cover it. Hopefully they do the job right this time. Parts have to be ordered but they gave me a 2019 CX3 loaner, which is not bad I have to say.

Hope the picture shows properly. Here's how mine looks like.
This time it's gotta be a charm for you!

20190106_122104.jpg

Last edited:
Mazda replaced the VC, VC gasket and OCV. No charge. Covered under warranty. So far so good, but I expect it will leak again at some point as many do regardless of miles. When I checked the OCV on the 2016 Mazda 6 loaner car that had only 34,000 miles on it, it was already oiled up and leaking a bit. That was telling. It seems to be hit or miss with them. I have no idea why. It could just be a bad batch was in production or it's a poorly designed part. It will largely go unoticed by most Skyactiv engine owners as they rarely pull the engine cover off to even notice it. It's also not a major leak.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back