2008 Nissan Titan true dual exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I have been a ford guy for the past 25 years. I just purchased a 2008 Nissan Titan crew cab 4x2. This truck is bone stock. I have heard many people with Nissan Titans say that if I do true dual exhaust , with of course 2 individual mufflers that my trucks gas mileage will drop big time. My thinking is that it would breath better and actually get slightly better gas mileage when driving normal and not hot dogging it.

I would be grateful for as much feedback as possible. Thank you in advance.

David

Originally Posted by lawnguy
I have heard many people with Nissan Titans say that if I do true dual exhaust , with of course 2 individual mufflers that my trucks gas mileage will drop big time.

Probably from getting on the gas more often listening to the better sounding exhaust system
grin2.gif

Maybe it is because with a single exhaust, all the exhaust is being sampled by the 02 sensor and with duals only half.

Define a true dual exhaust. You normally want some sort of a crossover, H or X pipe which will help the exhaust not only with performance but sound over having "true dual."

Yes, I agree. My previous F150 had an X-pipe,and I want to do that with my current Nissan Titan.

Also the Titan guys are saying that 1 muffler is better than having 2 mufflers. The 1 muffler with 2 inlets and 2 outlets. Very confusing to me.

Last edited:
One muffler has twice the heat so it lasts longer. It has less volume so it has to be louder for the same restriction. That is usually a plus.

I am a fan of supersingles, 3 inch pipe and BIG full 3 inch core muffler. Used to use a bus muffler. Have not had a truck in years. do not know who makes them now

Rod

Apples to apples, a combined single is a better performance exhaust than any form of duals.

In the real world, gains will be determined by the competency of the manufacturer and engineering. How many mufflers the exhaust has will mean nothing.

most of todays exhausts are overly restrictive as besides emissions noise restrictions are necessary, but an overly sized system can reduce torque + possibly mpg's while moving the power band to higher rpm ranges. i have the smaller titan aka frontier 2011 with the 4.0 V-6 + i installed the slightly bigger single doug thorley system, i like the sound + might have better power + mpg's, but changing to lower friction top quality Redline fluids all around prolly helped as well. start with the cat or cats they restrict the most + act as mufflers as well, then theres the muffler-mufflers + maybe some resonators!! duals cost more + add weight + you may need another sensor depending on the setup as i not titan savy, so a moderately larger less restrictive system would prolly be better. sound is another item as systems get bigger they get louder + droning can be an issue that depends on what you like, i would check the titan forum for opinions or talk to local owners. i wanted 304 stainless but its only available for titans, Borla it top of line 304 stainless + lasts forever, lesser cheaper 400 series stainless surface corrodes but lasts, + lastly cheap muffler shop mild steel rusts quickly but in warmer drier states its good for a while, your $$$ your choice

Originally Posted by millerbl00
I had a 2014 Titan. Need to check the exhaust manifolds for cracks. Also check differential and Trans fluids

Yes. I changed all the fluids to full synthetic after buying the truck. I'm huge on Maint.

Would a check engine light come on if I had even slightly cracked exhaust manifolds?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lawnguy
millerbl00 said:
Would a check engine light come on if I had even slightly cracked exhaust manifolds?

Not likely. My hemi had broken studs/warped manifolds. Never a check engine light.

Last edited:
Is it possible that a Y-pipe single exhaust be better performance wise than true dual exhaust with an x/h pipe. This would be on a 2008 Nissan Titan.

wdr1.jpg

Last edited:
Before I dropped any coin on a dual exhaust, I'd think about replacing the O.E.M. exhaust manifolds that are prone to cracking with headers.

CRACKED MANIFOLD PACKAGES
Apparently it happens so frequently this guy makes a good living off of offering a fix that is not only comparable in price to the O.E.M. (which is just kicking the can down the road), but a performance upgrade as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back