What do you use to protect the floor/ground/hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking up the oil filter location for a car I'm interested in maybe getting, and saw a demonstration with nothing protecting the driveway and a guy changing the oil with his bare hands.

I bought a box of nitrile rubber gloves and have been using it for years. They seem to break less than natural latex and probably are better for people who might be allergic. I used to use this large drip galvanized steel drip pan but have no idea where it is now. For a while I reused some thick plastic sheeting.

But I suppose the really odd thing I've used is diapers and medical supplies. We still have some unused diapers, and they absorb oil quickly in a gel. And somehow I ended up with a case of "Chux" - the plastic lined sheets with an absorbent surface - mostly cotton I think. I just lay that down and it will absorb everything. I have a plastic bag filled with this stuff (especially oil soaked paper towels) that my local recycling center won't accept, but I can collect it and take it to a haz waste collection facility.

I put my catch pan on a sheet of cardboard, and use Nitrile gloves for my hands. I don't want oil possibly dripping/splashing on the garage floor. The cardboard stays on the garage floor and serves for several oil changes. The cardboard costs nothing, so I consider it free insurance.

I use cardboard to protect the floor, BUT all my oil changes are done in our warehouse/factory. To clean up any spilled fluids I use sawdust because we have 55 gallon drums full and we send it for recycling. When I lived in Dallas I used cardboard and had a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a lid filled with kitty litter to soak up spills. Either way saw dust and kitty litter are great for soaking up fluids and make clean up easier. Once most of the fluid was absorbed I use purple power to clean the concrete. To protect my hand and keep it clean (I only have 1 usable arm) I use VenomSteel nitrile gloves. I have used a ton of different disposable gloves, and the VenomSteel disposable gloves are the best. I like that they have 2 layers and the inner layer is white so you can quickly see any rips or tears since the outer layer is black. You can get these at walmart or Amazon and a box of 100 costs around 15-20 bucks.

Last edited:
Catch pan on newspaper, nitrile gloves, careful hand work to make sure it doesn't go up the sleeve
cool.gif

Big piece of cardboard underneath the big drain pan to catch drips and splats, I will wrap a disposable shop towel around the drain plug while I am doing the final loosening but don't do anything special to protect my hands otherwise.

Big drain pan and nitrile gloves. Nothing else needed. Oh except I lay on an old blanket for comfort.

Puppy training pads on the ground under and around the drain pan.

Nothing on the hands, just wash them well after.

I have a large catch pan and do not need to protect the floor of the garage when doing an oil change. I wear disposable rubber gloves.

Concrete floor has epoxy coating.

Hands have nitrile gloves.

I have a sheet of cardboard to lay down on. So much warmer and easier on the knees, back and hips than concrete.

I save larger sheets of cardboard and cut them to fit behind my tool box. When they get crushed or too dirty they get recycled. If oily I'll cut out the oiled part and not recycle that.

Usually just my rectangular Flow Tool drain pan. Sometimes however, I can tell I'm feeling clumsier than normal like the time I forgot to remove the drain pan before backing the car from under the carport. That was a mess. Since then I often park over a free HF tarp or have a 40 lb. bag of oil dry handy just in case.

Dirt driveway so I do nothing for it; my vehicles don't seem to have real problems getting the vast majority of oil into the pan. Vinyl gloves from HF are cheaper than the cheap latex ones so I use those for my hands.

Cardboard under the catch pan. It makes it easy to slide around on the floor and will catch any drops that miss, which isn't common.

I can manage to pull the pan plug out by hand and never get oil on my hands. But I usually clean the plug (and add a new crush washer), so my hands are washed immediately after anyway. I can't remember ever getting my hand covered with oil. Just fortunate with the vehicles I own.

Several sections from the Omaha World Herald to catch any drips. Not much of a problem with the front end on jack stands. The thing about hot oil is that it is very hard to contain no matter how careful one may be. I usually have more dripping installing the new oil since my Camry has a pita thing partially blocking the fill hole. I believe it is there to catch debris from falling into the valve mechanism, but it prevents a funnel being installed far another not to fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back