Amsoil SS5w-30, 2008 Jeep LIberty 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
At almost 144,000 miles on the vehicle and 8600 on the oil, it appears (from this single sample) that the engine isn't planning to grenade like other 3.7s have.

This is the older Amsoil formulation with plenty of Calcium. Opinions?

[Linked Image]

edit: sodium IS left over from some Schaeffer's I used during top off....

Last edited:
Pretty good for this engine.
thumbsup2.gif

I would honestly try the XL 5w30 in this engine. You might be surprised with better results than the SS for the interval you are running.

Last edited:
2008, so that would be a second gen then? Does your oil fill cap say 5w30 or 5w20? I service a 2012 and the oil cap has 5w20 in it, but I just use 5w30 PP and change it once a year due to low use (2K-3K miles). Looks like a 5w30 might be the ticket for this engine...

ditto on the above, your wasting your $$$ but its your $$$ so do what makes you happy!!

Virgin oil I've sent for a VOA showed 7 ppm of Silicon and 5 ppm of Sodium. Good report indeed

For all the "wasting your money on SS" comments, thanks. I'm gradually extending the OCI and will sample at 10-12k next time with an eye for an annual+ change. Agree another oil might be able perform well at this interval, but since this OCI was mostly short trips under 10 miles 2-3x per day I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted by Delta
2008, so that would be a second gen then? Does your oil fill cap say 5w30 or 5w20? I service a 2012 and the oil cap has 5w20 in it, but I just use 5w30 PP and change it once a year due to low use (2K-3K miles). Looks like a 5w30 might be the ticket for this engine...

Yep 2nd gen so says 5w-20. The 3.7 and 4.7 were both originally specified 5w-30 with no lubrication changes in the later years that I know of. Plus, we are in hilly/mountainous terrain and higher altitude so the engine is working harder and thicker oil is indicated IMO.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
What are you running for an air filter?

Installed a new Wix a bit before the change prior.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Isn't it the valve springs that fail on these?

Yes there are numerous posts online about valve spring issues. The ones I've read about have all occurred by 120k miles so hopefully
27.gif
at 150k we are good

Add to that, the statistics I saw indicate that less than 1% of the millions of 3.7s on the road have that issue.

Originally Posted by JLTD

OK, because silicon seems a touch high, which, if it was silica ingress, would aide to explain what might be slightly elevated iron.

Originally Posted by JLTD

OK, because silicon seems a touch high, which, if it was silica ingress, would aide to explain what might be slightly elevated iron.

Yeah I'll be checking the intake for leaks. With Parshisa's post about 7ppm silicon in a virgin sample, that makes only 11ppm for the 8600 mile run...well under average for the engine type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back