How should I choose portable generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Yamaha efs2000i a few years back. My debate was between Honda and Yamaha, and the plastic cam was something that I was worried about in the Honda. I also like that the Yamaha has a fuel gauge so you can check the fuel level without removing the cap.

I've had great service from my Yamaha, although it has always used oil. More than I think it should, for certain. Oddly, once the exhaust gets carboned up a little bit it stops using oil. It sips fuel when demand is low, and is very quiet. When I use it, I usually start it Friday night and shut it off Sunday afternoon. It runs a radio, computer, and maybe a fan. 24 feet of double-bulb fluorescent lights at night, which works it a little harder.

If I could go back, I'd probably get the Honda. The cams are not a problem, and as someone else mentioned the support network is much larger if you should need it. If budget is an issue, I wouldn't be afraid to look at the Champion inverter model.

Originally Posted By: Lenny5160
I bought a Yamaha efs2000i a few years back. My debate was between Honda and Yamaha, and the plastic cam was something that I was worried about in the Honda. I also like that the Yamaha has a fuel gauge so you can check the fuel level without removing the cap.

I've had great service from my Yamaha, although it has always used oil. More than I think it should, for certain. Oddly, once the exhaust gets carboned up a little bit it stops using oil. It sips fuel when demand is low, and is very quiet. When I use it, I usually start it Friday night and shut it off Sunday afternoon. It runs a radio, computer, and maybe a fan. 24 feet of double-bulb fluorescent lights at night, which works it a little harder.

If I could go back, I'd probably get the Honda. The cams are not a problem, and as someone else mentioned the support network is much larger if you should need it. If budget is an issue, I wouldn't be afraid to look at the Champion inverter model.

Lenny - I've heard others also say the Yamaha uses oil and has from the beginning. It can't be all Yamaha generators, but seems to be that a handful are unlucky to get one that does. I've also heard the voltage drop on the original v1 unit of the EF2000 was substantial and couldn't start loads that it should by its rated specification. I've heard decent things about Champion generators, and would consider them if i was going to go 'chinese clone engine,' genset primarily because they actually list parts diagrams and sourcing parts its likely. I generally do all my own repairs/maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Rab6715
Lenny - I've heard others also say the Yamaha uses oil and has from the beginning. It can't be all Yamaha generators, but seems to be that a handful are unlucky to get one that does.

It used oil for a year or better, and then one day it stopped. I didn't know why; thought maybe the rings finally sealed up even though it took a couple hundred hours.

I thought I'd be a good little generator owner and clean the spark arrestor as you are supposed to. BAM - oil consumption was back!

Still don't regret the purchase but it isn't right.

From my experience with a Chinese built Hyundai Hy2000 inverter vs. a Yamaha EF2000is, the reason is simple: Mathematics.

The Hyundai cost approx. $500.00 brand new and lasted 175 hours before is suffered first a failed inverter at around 100 hours then secondly, catastrophic failure at above mentioned hours. It was unrepairable. The Yamaha cost approx. $1000.00 and so far has lasted 1400+ hours. So, lets do the math.

1400 divided by 175 = 8.

8 x 500 = 4000.

From what I've read, the Yamaha may last as long as 18000 hours, but lets say it lasts only 10000 hours compared to a Chinese generator pegging out at say 500 hours. In this scenario, the Yamaha lasts 20 times
longer. Do the math.

Chinese generators may be suitable for short term/intermittent use and may be a value from that perspective. However, anyone looking to put the generator into regular long term service will be far better off spending the money for a quality unit. As such, in my opinion, they Yamahas are the class leaders with Honda coming in a close second. If Honda used real GX engines with all metal components in their inverter generators, I'd likely rate them both equal. However, that's not the case. The Yamaha inverter generator engine with all metal components is structurally superior.

My EF2000is used approx. 2 oz (60 ml) of oil every 30 hours or so for the first 900 hours of operation.

As the hours accumulated, I noticed that sometimes, oil consumption would be minimal then on the next inspection, it would be back up.

Prior to accumulation of say, 700 hours or so, the oil consumption was consistently high by my standards. Once the engine got into the higher hours of use, it began to fall off and by the time it hit 900 hours, oil consumption had dropped significantly. It's now to the point that it may use only a little over 2 oz. in a 100 hour run, which is the oil change interval number.

I last did an oil change a couple days ago and the used oil (Shell Rotella blend 15/40-10W30 - 50-50) was only slightly darker than fresh oil. It's amazingly clean for used oil. I suspect that the used oil probably had plenty of service life left in it. However, at only .4 liter for a fresh fill, no need pushing it.

My EF2000is used approx. 2 oz (60 ml) of oil every 30 hours or so for the first 900 hours of operation.

As the hours accumulated, I noticed that sometimes, oil consumption would be minimal then on the next inspection, it would be back up.

Prior to accumulation of say, 700 hours or so, the oil consumption was consistently high by my standards. Once the engine got into the higher hours of use, it began to fall off and by the time it hit 900 hours, oil consumption had dropped significantly. It's now to the point that it may use only a little over 2 oz. in a 100 hour run, which is the oil change interval number.

I last did an oil change a couple days ago and the used oil (Shell Rotella blend 15/40-10W30 - 50-50) was only slightly darker than fresh oil. It's amazingly clean for used oil. I suspect that the used oil probably had plenty of service life left in it. However, at only .4 liter for a fresh fill, no need pushing it.

I suspect that despite multiple light load - heavy load break in procedures, the engine took much longer to actually break in under relatively light load continuous operation. My usual load is probably less than 500 watts with occasional heavy loading when operating things like a microwave oven or medium load power tools.

It would appear that due to the stubborn resistance to breaking in, the components are likely very durable. Which in turn would lead me to believe that this engine is designed and built for long service life.

My fears are that from reports I've read regarding Chinese versions of these generators, the above qualities may very well be compromised by Yamaha's choice to farm out the construction of these generators to China. I've yet to see anything positive from farming out Japanese manufacturing to China.

To recommend a generator, the op needs to provide a lot more info.
That electric devices are you planning to run with the generator, both camping and at home?
Is noise a consideration?
Are we tent camping or rv camping with ac, microwave etc.

I am not sure a generator for camping will be the same as one for home emergency use. Two way different sets of electric loads.

As others have said you need to get a list of loads that will be powered by a generator. If motors then a starting and running load. Can you stagger starting loads? Like turn on refrig, then turn on freezer for example

The Joplin tornado tore up a lot of infrastructure. There were lucky people that were just without electricity for a few days to a few weeks. A big gasoline generator will suck down 15 gallons a day. Gas was over $3.00 a gallon then, it was $45 a day for the big genny, Insurance does not cover that. If you have a way to stagger loads and can live with only a small window airconditoner in one room and then fans for the rest of the house a 3500 watt unit can get you by. Mine used just over 5 gallons a day.. I changed the oil every 2 days (50 hours) used Tropartic and never had a issue. Electric hot water heater is a no go unless you have the ability to wire it for 110V and it will let you. Then you have VERY limited hot water.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back