Is Edge 0w40 good enough for..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A turbocharged 925CC engine with a 2.75 qt capacity sump? 95% of torque available in the usable range of 5,000 to 8,000 RPM

Manufacturer oil has two options 5w50 -35° F to 100° F and 10w50 0° F to 120° F (their branded oil is $15/qt) Oil change interval is 50hrs.

I along with 10 or so other friends have this same engine.. some use branded oil, some use T6 5w40, some use Mobil 15w50..

Normal driving would probably be considered racing conditions with the high rpm and high EGT temps of the turbo (800-1100F).

Is this oil up to the task? or do you have other suggestions?

I suggest you use the weight the manufacture specifics instead of going thinner. if you can spend 20K on a play toy, you should be able to use the correct oil.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I suggest you use the weight the manufacture specifics instead of going thinner. if you can spend 20K on a play toy, you should be able to use the correct oil.

Ok so Edge 5w50 is better than Edge 0W40

=1 skyactiv you sound like my dad. My dad wasn't always right ,but he was never wrong.

No. Not 0w40. Too much VII is there, and in a high-revving engine you could lose hot viscosity over time from permanent shear. Some engines tolerate viscosity loss well, some don't.... ... For example, Honda, for their S2000 rev-monster (8k-9k RPM limits) they made, never quite trusted the shear stability of "0w" or even "5w" oils, and recommended 10w30 for that engine, all due to shear stability, and possibly oxidation fears at high track temperatures.
Stick with M1 15w50 or an Amsoil that meets whatever spec your engine needs (JASO something?). Shear & oxidation stable.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
No. Not 0w40. Too much VII is there, and in a high-revving engine you could lose hot viscosity over time from permanent shear. Some engines tolerate viscosity loss well, some don't.... ... For example, Honda, for their S2000 rev-monster (8k-9k RPM limits) they made, never quite trusted the shear stability of "0w" or even "5w" oils, and recommended 10w30 for that engine, all due to shear stability, and possibly oxidation fears at high track temperatures.
Stick with M1 15w50 or an Amsoil that meets whatever spec your engine needs (JASO something?). Shear & oxidation stable.

Mr Oil Film Movies,

What do you think about this 15w50 for shearing? This engine does not have a wet clutch.. so no JASO needed.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CT8
=1 skyactiv you sound like my dad. My dad wasn't always right ,but he was never wrong.

We all drift from the book at times i think..a few months ago. "And while I don't recommend you do it, I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 A5 oil in my GTI for a 5K run."

The HTHS viscosity of Castrol 0W-40 is lower than ideal based on the recommended viscosity grades. Castrol 5W-50 might be okay but it's not particularly good at maintaining its viscosity and its virgin HTHS viscosity is a modest 4.1 cP.
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B85B27606403EF8080257FAA007243CB/$File/BPXE-AA5D5S.pdf

I would use Red Line 5W-50 or something else with a HTHS viscosity of at least 4.7 cP or so. Red Line 5W-50's HTHS viscosity is 5.0 cP. Most of the good alternatives will be motorcycle or racing oils.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
What do you think about this 15w50 for shearing? This engine does not have a wet clutch.. so no JASO needed.
JASO MA is for wet-clutch engines, JASO MB is for all others. MB usually has friction modifiers (FM) like moly or organic types, etc. like most car engine oils have. The Mystic 15w50 kv100 held up OK in the Blackstone analysis in the Harley, not much shearing at all. Some shearing is normal and OK, a lot of shearing is a problem in many engines.
The 925cc turbo racing application you originally talked about would likely need something better than the Mystic synthetic blend stuff . JAG's Redline recomendation is a good idea, that or Amsoil. M1 15w50 should be fine too.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Ok so Edge 5w50 is better than Edge 0W40

For that application, probably. Generally, it is not.

If you don't want to run one of the expensive oils like Redline, Motul, or Amsoil, I would consider a full-syn CK-4 5W-40 like Delvac 1 ESP, Delo XSP, or T6. Those should be thick enough for what your after and are all engineered to deal with really hot turbos.

I can't knock the Mystik, their 10W30 JT-8 has been an excellent diesel oil. If you use it, just go half the normal interval & get a cheap UOA to see if it can handle it.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
Mobil 1 15w50 is a great oil

The talk i read about below in the motorcycle forum says it gets thicker as time goes on.. its not a favorite among the Harley guys from what i can tell.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
If you don't want to run one of the expensive oils like Redline, Motul, or Amsoil, I would consider a full-syn CK-4 5W-40 like Delvac 1 ESP, Delo XSP, or T6. Those should be thick enough for what your after and are all engineered to deal with really hot turbos.

I have 10 gallons of Mobil 5w40 TDT.. its not CK-4 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back