2015 WRX FA20 5w-30 UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was trying to find some uoa's on 5w-30 oil for this engine. Did not seem to have much luck using the search.

a 10-30 would be better but if necessary a x-40 would be an option. my 2001 TT 1.8T modified used oil about a qt on a thou or so depending on my right foot since purchase, in summer a 15-50 is great adding better vacuum + lowering consumption. my winter fill is 10-40 but its a garage queen mostly at that time. as needed i top with 15-50, it works for me. all oils are now Redline top line oils + with a small 4.25 qt capacity i feel its worth the xtra cost

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Hello,

I was trying to find some uoa's on 5w-30 oil for this engine. Did not seem to have much luck using the search.

I have tried two different oils and did uoa with them with my Forester XT (same engine). Here's the latest one (see page 2 for update):
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4913012/1

Pennzoil was causing high copper for some reason.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability is the best for my engine so far. I didn't try any of the boutique oils yet.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Hello,

I have tried two different oils and did uoa with them with my Forester XT (same engine). Here's the latest one (see page 2 for update):

Quaker State Ultimate Durability is the best for my engine so far. I didn't try any of the boutique oils yet.

Thanks Jbutch. I have a couple of UOA's to post using Valvoline FS HM and Valvoline with Maxlife. Both also show slight fuel and a lower than desired viscosity after 6K miles. Wear metals look fine otherwise. It would appear these motors due shear oil.

Hello,

Thanks Jbutch. I have a couple of UOA's to post using Valvoline FS HM and Valvoline with Maxlife. Both also show slight fuel and a lower than desired viscosity after 6K miles. Wear metals look fine otherwise. It would appear these motors due shear oil.

This engine seems to be very hard on oil, due to fuel dilution (mostly because it's TGDI) and the turbo.

All the oils I put in sheared to a 20 grade. QSUD with with a higher visosity held up the most.

I would recommend 5k miles oil change at most with a good synthetic. They are pretry easy to change oil anyway!

the 4 cyl di turbo motors all seem to be very tuff on the oil. The Mazdaspeed 3's liked the t6 5w40 and iIve heard of similar good results with the Subaru croud.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
the 4 cyl di turbo motors all seem to be very tuff on the oil. The Mazdaspeed 3's liked the t6 5w40 and iIve heard of similar good results with the Subaru croud.

I think the Rotella was performing really well in the EJ25, but not as well in the FA20DIT...

I seen good results with Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 formula as well.

Originally Posted by Purpfox

I've also heard that the Rotella T6 5W-40 is not the oil to be running in the FA20. But agree it was thought very highly of in EJ motors.

Last edited:

This engine seems to be very hard on oil, due to fuel dilution (mostly because it's TGDI) and the turbo.

All the oils I put in sheared to a 20 grade. QSUD with with a higher visosity held up the most.

I would recommend 5k miles oil change at most with a good synthetic. They are pretry easy to change oil anyway!

I agree with this - although I wouldn't say it's "hard" on the oil if the implication is that the oil doesn't hold up to the factory service interval. The fact that this engine is prone to fuel dilution and shearing to a high 20 grade, absolutely! However, if your FA20F (DIT) is bone stock and you use it as a daily commuter with some spirited pulls, you should have no issues running a modern 5W30 synthetic from any of the major brands to 5-6k miles. Of course, the same rules apply to this engine as with any other (wait for oil temp to warm before going into boost/WOT, don't lug, etc).

I've owned the car since new and it has been service nd with OE filter and 5W-30 syn every 6K miles. No major modes or protune.

I've owned the car since new and it has been service nd with OE filter and 5W-30 syn every 6K miles. No major modes or protune.

Brand doesn't really matter. Specs matter most. Run a GF5 5W-30 and it will likely shear to a 20 grade in 2k miles or less. Run an ACEA C3 oil, and it will likely stay in grade due to the higher HTHS and viscosity when hot. Despite Subaru saying that 6k intervals are fine in non-severe conditions, I would dial the intervals back to 5k miles max on a GF5 oil.

Yes, the DIT's are show good uoa's on oils with a 20 grade operating viscosity. However, good uoa's are not a guarantee that you are running the optimum oil/viscosity grade for your application.

Originally Posted by bluesubie

Brand doesn't really matter. Specs matter most. Run a GF5 5W-30 and it will likely shear to a 20 grade in 2k miles or less. Run an ACEA C3 oil, and it will likely stay in grade due to the higher HTHS and viscosity when hot. Despite Subaru saying that 6k intervals are fine in non-severe conditions, I would dial the intervals back to 5k miles max on a GF5 oil.

Yes, the DIT's are show good uoa's on oils with a 20 grade operating viscosity. However, good uoa's are not a guarantee that you are running the optimum oil/viscosity grade for your application.

I ran Mobil 1 0w-40 last summer but switched back to 5W-30 for colder weather. From my understanding here 0W-40 year around would be fine.

I wish I had an FA20DIT. I'd try the Ravenol DXG in a heartbeat. It's got moly and tungsten to help lubricity, very high flash and low NOACK, and is Group 4/5 base oils. TBN is fairly high as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back