2011 Silverado 6.2L starting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Description:

First noticed, turned the key and slight delay to starting (delay being from turn of key to start of engine cranking).

several days of normal operation

several days later I turned the key and nothing happened, then turned it again and it started with slight delay

several days of normal operation

Today I turned the key, and nothing. Tried over and over...I could hear the small under-hood relay clicking (which went out last year), but I could not hear the loud click of the starter solenoid. Tried over and over for several minutes, finally started right up like nothing was wrong. No other lights, no other alarms, no other funny business. When I got home, turned it off and on several times and it started just fine every time. I am guessing it is the starter solenoid or the starter itself. Thoughts?

Sounds like a starter issue.

To verify, you can crawl under the truck with a multi meter. Verify that the starter is getting power and ground and that the solenoid is getting power. Have someone tap the key to start. You should feel the solenoid on the starter clicking over. If you can't feel it, check that the solenoid trigger is getting power. If it is, and there's not a bunch of voltage drop on main power going to starter, then the starter is bad. If the solenoid is not getting power, then check your starter relay.

additional info:

I have a dual battery setup that is fully charged and all battery connections and grounds are very tight. I have also added additional power wires and ground wires...so not likely a loose connection.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
Sounds like a starter issue.

To verify, you can crawl under the truck with a multi meter. Verify that the starter is getting power and ground and that the solenoid is getting power. Have someone tap the key to start. You should feel the solenoid on the starter clicking over. If you can't feel it, check that the solenoid trigger is getting power. If it is, and there's not a bunch of voltage drop on main power going to starter, then the starter is bad. If the solenoid is not getting power, then check your starter relay.

That would be great if it would fail at home when I am not in my work clothes ;-)

Check the connections to the starter if they are snug but at that time you are pulling the starter to get to the leads I'd put in a new or reman starter. Same thing happened to me and it's not unusual to replace a starter at less than 150,000mi.

I had a starter fool me acting like a dead battery. Would start real slow some days. Not at all other days. Its a wear item. Will leave you hanging sooner or later. So its worth replacing regardless just to rule it out.

Both bad starter and poor + side connection in my case. GM side terminal cables have what they call a stack connection where two or more cables are under the red insulator and those connections need to be perfect.

Check the starter circuits as mentioned above but also look at your cluster when it happens to see if the security light comes on.......if so then there is where you need to start looking.

I went ahead and threw a new starter in it yesterday. I did not experience any more trouble with the old starter, but I really felt it was inevitable. I did not explore the security system, as I did not think it would be firing the relay under hood if security had been an issue. Not the easiest starter in the world to swap...especially with bigger hands. I had to drop the anti roll bar to get it out...no biggie, but added some time. I didn't realize just how slow my engine cranking had become...especially with two batteries. The crank speed has greatly increased with the new starter. I will consider it fixed for now!

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Congratulatory ! Hope that new starter lasts as long as you own the vehicle . :)

It probably depends on where he got it. I've never had good luck with starters from the local parts stores and they definitely never lasted as long as the originals.

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Congratulatory ! Hope that new starter lasts as long as you own the vehicle . :)

It probably depends on where he got it. I've never had good luck with starters from the local parts stores and they definitely never lasted as long as the originals.

O'reilly house brand (Ultima). It has a lifetime warranty, so worst case is another hour on my back down the road. Upon inspection, it looks to be well made (sorry re-made).

Update:

So far so good...all starts have been snappy and instant. No more delays or lags. Cranking speed is also still faster than before...especially in sub zero F temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back