OK not to hit the OFF buttons when done watching TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cable TV box, Samsung 50" and Yamaha receiver all are plugged in to one power strip. Is it OK to just turn everything off by flicking the power strip switch to OFF, and turn everything ON with the same switch when I'm ready to watch again? Simpler this way instead of turning each device on and off individually. My concern is this may generate power spikes and decrease my gear's lifespan.

All that stuff is doing it's own transforming internally, you'll be okay doing that. The only issue I can think of is say something is doing a firmware update in the background and you kill it, but they're usually good about only doing that when they're not being used.

Your equipment will always be on and energized, adding hours of use to the circuitry unless you switch off the "hard switch" cutting off power to the units. If I am not going to use the stuff for a while, I cut the power to them.

Depending on the age of the TV and receiver, it may support power off control over the HDMI but you would need to enable it in the respective settings menu. This would allow you to auto power off the Yamaha when you power of the TV. The cable box is likely a power hog so killing power to it isn't a bad thing.

Here's the link for Energy Star 7.0 TVs which allow 0.5W in standby

https://www.energystar.gov/products/electronics/televisions/key_product_criteria

Not advised. You are depending on the manufacturer to have an orderly shutdown during a power outage. Better manufacturers will do a good job of this. Cheap ones may not. Everything is getting cheaper (lower cost and quality) to compete with the bottom rung.

Usually the remotes for the cable box can be programmed to turn on/off all devices with a single button press. I would investigate that.

Once they are turned off, switching off the power should be no problem.

I've been a electronics engineer for 23 years.

You're likely to save several watts of standby power by cutting the input to the cable box entirely, which adds up to real money over the course of time. If that makes it malfunction that is the cable company's problem.

If your cable box is also a DVR, you don't want to do it this way. It's effectively a computer, with a hard drive, and you should know that with a computer, you have to shut it down properly.

A lot of cable box remotes can be programmed so that if you hold the power button for 3 seconds it will automatically command your TV, Cable Box, Receiver off one after another. I have this setup with my Satellite receiver to do this.
Also works to power it all back on. Press and hold the power button and each of the 3 devices power back up again.

Check this site out in case it's of help to you: https://www.urcsupport.com/

As an example:

Master Power.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Not advised. You are depending on the manufacturer to have an orderly shutdown during a power outage. Better manufacturers will do a good job of this. Cheap ones may not. Everything is getting cheaper (lower cost and quality) to compete with the bottom rung.

Usually the remotes for the cable box can be programmed to turn on/off all devices with a single button press. I would investigate that.

Once they are turned off, switching off the power should be no problem.

^ This.

How old is this equipment ? With the cable box, it could be 10-15 years old with the way they just recycle their hardware over and over so it's best to give a model # for it.

For at least a decade or more, most TV and related equipment should support HDMI-CEC. This is a protocol that allows devices to "talk" to each other and for more than just transmitting the TV signal. With my setup, with HDMI-CEC configured, I turn off my AV receiver and it turns off the satellite receiver and the TV. One button.

Originally Posted by Throt
Have fun waiting on that cable box to reboot each time.
Yeah, seriously. My last AT&T U-Verse box (made by Cisco) would take close to 5 minutes to boot up when power cycled.

OP, get yourself a universal remote or figure out if you can program your cable TV remote to power down your other devices.

Would not do it!! When you switch off the TV with the button there is a whole sequence of events it goes through, same as your computer.

When you cut-off supply the cycle doesn't take place and if it continues it may do same damage.

Originally Posted by berniedd
My cable TV box, Samsung 50" and Yamaha receiver all are plugged in to one power strip. Is it OK to just turn everything off by flicking the power strip switch to OFF, and turn everything ON with the same switch when I'm ready to watch again? Simpler this way instead of turning each device on and off individually. My concern is this may generate power spikes and decrease my gear's lifespan.

how does a switch "generate" power spikes?....it doesn't.

Agree with those above who say don't do it, especially what danez_yoda said.

While a switch won't generate power spikes, most equipment today is meant to be left plugged in. It's designed to be powered even when "off".

I don't believe a TV, AV receiver, or a non-DVR set-top box needs to be shut down through a sequence like a computer. As I mentioned above, if the cable set-top box is a DVR, yeah, you should. Then again, with most competent OSs using a journaling filesystem, it's still not absolutely critical. I wouldn't do routinely, like daily though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back