Hack to defeat Buick's Auto Stop-Start??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are considering buying a 2018 Buick TourX AWD wagon because of the huge discounts currently available. Vehicles with a $40K sticker can be driven off the lot for around $26K with 0% financing for 72 months.

However............these cars have Stop-Start engines with no official means to defeat - other than driving in Manual Shift Mode. Owner forums for the similar Volvo V60 CrossCountry have hacks for near permanent defeating of their systems. And the Volvos have a dash button to allow you temporarily disable it for that particular engine start period. No such dash button on the Buicks.

Anyone know of any hacks to the GM system to disable the start-stop?

Two ways:

1. Put gear selector in manual mode and click to highest possible gear. Tranny shifts completely normal and auto stop is disabled.

2. https://www.smartstopstart.com/ I bought this for my 2019 Equinox. Works great.

p.s. don't blame GM or the manufacturers. They get credits for emissions & MPG requirements from the Gov for having start/stop on their cars. The credit is higher if there is no button to disable it.

Dave

I did some internet sleuthing and discovered the device you identified in your reply.

Apparently GM included a bit of safety logic in their Stop-Start feature which disables the feature when the hood is raised. They did this to prevent surprise engine starts when Service Dept Techs are working under the hood. This device is effectively a switch and timer that fools the car into thinking the hood is open at each start, then automatically sends the "hood latched" signal to the computer a second or so later. Open one wiring harness connection adjacent to the hood latch, insert the small plastic bodied device between the connector halves, and no more Stop-Start feature - until you decide to just as easily remove the small component.

See photo by clicking link below:

[URL]https://www.smartstopstart.com/uploads/8/0/2/8/8028029/published/img-0497a.jpg?1527390582[/URL][endimg]

I read that Ford trucks can be fooled by inserting a "Trailer Wiring Tester" into the trailer light connector, or into a new connector hidden out of sight, and the system is just as easily defeated and resettable for later sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MI_Roger
I did some internet sleuthing and discovered the device you identified in your reply.

Apparently GM included a bit of safety logic in their Stop-Start feature which disables the feature when the hood is raised. They did this to prevent surprise engine starts when Service Dept Techs are working under the hood. This device is effectively a switch and timer that fools the car into thinking the hood is open at each start, then automatically sends the "hood latched" signal to the computer a second or so later. Open one wiring harness connection adjacent to the hood latch, insert the small plastic bodied device between the connector halves, and no more Stop-Start feature - until you decide to just as easily remove the small component.

See photo by clicking link below:

[URL]https://www.smartstopstart.com/uploads/8/0/2/8/8028029/published/img-0497a.jpg?1527390582[/URL][endimg]

I read that Ford trucks can be fooled by inserting a "Trailer Wiring Tester" into the trailer light connector, or into a new connector hidden out of sight, and the system is just as easily defeated and resettable for later sale.

The 2017 F150 sport with the v6 ecoboost we have at work has a button to disable it right next to the blinkers.

Originally Posted by Saul

The 2017 F150 sport with the v6 ecoboost we have at work has a button to disable it right next to the blinkers.

Ditto for my M235i and X1- and once disabled the "feature" remains off...

Does it introduce the risk of an unexpected start when the hood really is open?

Originally Posted by ecotourist

Does it introduce the risk of an unexpected start when the hood really is open?

It shouldn't as the original switch is still there, and the new timed switch is in series with the original switch. Of course if you are having a Tech diagnose some weird electrical issues, you would want to disconnect this add-on box.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Why?

Because the feature is annoying, time wasting, causes excessive wear of the starter motor, and may shorten the battery life. And maybe because I am just an old sour-puss that despises new technology unless it solves a problem for me. With almost all of my driving being highway, the minor fuel efficiency of this feature does not apply to me.

As a driver you get in the wrong lane at a light for an upcoming turn. You need to beat the adjacent car away from the light to make the lane change. Dangit! You find yourself waiting for the engine to restart. One or two fewer cars (and maybe more) can make it through the traffic light with every light cycle due to this delay.

Last edited:
Either GM's start-stop system is a total POS or something is wrong with the car you drove.

I haven't driven a car yet where it is half as intrusive as the average poster here makes it out to be.

I only bought the smart stop module because of my perceived fear of increased wear on power train. With that said, the GM auto stop feature on my Equinox worked flawless. There is no lag what so ever when starting. Your fear of not beating another car at start is unfounded. It starts that quick. I bet most people would have no idea that the motor is off then on unless someone told them. There is some discussion that it doesn't always use the starter-may just use the ecm to fire injector and spark plug on a cylinder at TDC to start. Some manufacturers are using that method.

Dave

Either GM's start-stop system is a total POS or something is wrong with the car you drove.

I haven't driven a car yet where it is half as intrusive as the average poster here makes it out to be.

I agree for the most part; I've never had a problem with it on the 2 Series; if it looks like I'll be competing in a Stop Light Grand Prix I'll put the suspension and drivetrain in Sport mode, which disables stop start anyway. The X1 stop-start system is not nearly as smooth as the newer four cylinder Bimmers, so I do leave it disabled.

I used to depise the system in my wife's 2018 VW Tiguan however now honestly don't realize its lie care it's doing its thing. Is it detestable in her SUV via a switch every startup(never used).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bmod305
There is some discussion that it doesn't always use the starter-may just use the ecm to fire injector and spark plug on a cylinder at TDC to start. Some manufacturers are using that method.

Dave
Sounds like a Model T "hot start." ...€

The more things change. . . .

Not sure on GM, but on FCA vehicles leaving the HVAC on auto, slightly turning the wheels, not applying enough brake pressure, among others are ways to make sure it doesn't shut off.

It's nice to have a dash button to disable the start/stop. I have adapted to the system in my car mostly, as the system reacts to brake pedal pressure when you come to a stop, as well as before the engine restarts. So you can actually prevent the engine from stopping if you are light enough on the brakes while holding the car, and you can also restart the engine via the brake pedal by decreasing the pressure slightly.

Saying that, when I come to stop and go traffic, roundabout and busy intersections, I will switch the system off so I can have the engine running continuously.

Start/stop might save you some $ when it comes to idling fuel, but remember the battery for such a system (EFB or AGM) are still very expensive. A single battery replacement will wipe out most if not all fuel savings over a period of 5 years.

Why?

Because the feature is annoying, time wasting, causes excessive wear of the starter motor, and may shorten the battery life. And maybe because I am just an old sour-puss that despises new technology unless it solves a problem for me. With almost all of my driving being highway, the minor fuel efficiency of this feature does not apply to me.

As a driver you get in the wrong lane at a light for an upcoming turn. You need to beat the adjacent car away from the light to make the lane change. Dangit! You find yourself waiting for the engine to restart. One or two fewer cars (and maybe more) can make it through the traffic light with every light cycle due to this delay.

Have you actually driven one for an extended period besides a test drive? I enjoy every car thus equipped. Very soothing to be sitting at a stop light in complete silence and smoothness with the engine off and not using any gas. Now most of my experience is in hybrids so the restart is by a completely different method and much less obtrusive then a mechanical starter, but the few Mercedes and BMW I drove were nearly as pleasant. And the batteries and starters have been beefed up to handle this.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Why?

Dumbest question on BITOG ever.

No. A stop/start system usually has the engine running between the time you lift your foot off the brake pedal when it engages and before your foot touches the accelerator. If this is not happening then the OP should take the car in to have it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back