Mercedes E350 4 Matic Owners ?

Any owners out there with oddities or persistent problems to be aware of . Thinking of purchasing my father's .Please just don't say money pit or snide remarks

You should really ask this on a MB forum. Model specific info is a little sparse here on cars that aren't a Ford Fusion or GM 3.8 W Body. There are a few euro mechanics here, though.

MB forum is also more likely to be a MB safe space, posters here are more likely to tell you to buy a boring Subaru or Hyundai because their middle aged daughter bought one.
02.gif

well first of all, if properly maintained it should last for at least 200k miles.

"properly" means ignoring the "lifetime" "never change ever" transmission, differential and transfer case fluids and actually changing them

change the oil at about half the FSS interval

some years and some VINS have a suicidal balance shaft issue, that if not found early can toast your engine, check here:

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-my-mercedes-benz-for-balance-shaft-issue-by-vin-m272273/

If you don't want to keep it PM me, I might be interested as I drive a 2001 ML 320
smile.gif

Last edited:
The E350 is probably one of the most solid platforms Mercedes made. Servicing the engine is fairly easy as there's a decent amount of room in that chassis. I've seen water pumps fail on occasion, not terribly hard to replace but you need some specific sockets. The front coil springs do have a slight tendency to break, but they aren't terribly expensive.

Spend some time on Benzworld, the Mercedes forum, in that model sub forum.

It's a great car.

You'll love it.

But know what you're gettin into...

You'll have to be more specific as to the year. The E350 has been around since 2006. Basically spans 2006-2016. I have two of them. What questions did you have? If you can DIY, it's a lot cheaper to own. I think they're great, you can get the WIS which is the workshop manuals online from eBay for $6-$10. You do need a code scanner that can do MB specific codes, but those are in the $100-$150 range. The 2010-2016 were better than the older 2006-2009 models. The 2012 had a newer 302 hp engine instead of the older 268 hp engine in the 2006-2011. The 2014 had the facelift. The 2014-2016 are probably the best years. I might pick up a 2014 at some point, they're now down to about 20-25k used.

It's a 2013 e350 4matic . 34,000 miles . Every option . Top of the line my brother tells me .So I can get a code reader for a reasonable amount to do basic maintenance then ? I was under the impression that to do anything the official MB reader was needed , but it would be able to see if I ever had a bad plug or coil without going to the dealer . ..... My dad passed this week , I'm pretty scattered right now . He was the best man I ever knew .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kjmack
It's a 2013 e350 4matic . 34,000 miles . Every option . Top of the line my brother tells me .

I doubt that but I suppose it's possible. Never actually seen one. Put the vin in this site:

https://www.datamb.com/

Then go to this site and see what options were available for that year. Select the model then click on features.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/2013/

The designo packages were very rare, in shopping around and running various vin's through the decoder, I've hardly ever seen one for sale. But if it has everything, then it would have the driver assistance package, P2 package, rear entertainment package, heated steering wheel, parktronic, 115 volt outlet, side blinds, comfort box, panorama roof, night view assist, folding rear seats, heated and cooled seats, Bang & Olufsen sound system, real leather, multi contour seats, heated rear seats etc.

That would be a real unicorn because you hardly ever see the Bang & Olufsen sound system, that alone was a $6400 option. Same with the night view assist, very rare.

Well a decent priced one is the Autel Diaglink, it's about $89 on Amazon and does MB specific codes. You could spend $500-$1000 on a Xentry C3/C4 knock off system which is what the dealers use to diagnose problems, but it's probably overkill unless you want to really hack into the car. A basic ELM327 will do standard engine codes like a bad plug or coil. There are other subsystems like keyless go that require a system that can scan MB specific codes as errors won't show up with a generic OBDII scanner. The W212 is a pretty reliable platform, so far the only thing I've really found with my code scanner is a bad temperature sensor, but it was on the passenger side so I never really noticed any heating/cooling problem as I don't sit there. It was more handy on the W211 which helped me diagnose a bad steering angle sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-OBDII-OBD2-Transmission/dp/B07BM2GCH6

I think the 14+ got a revision to the transfer case as well, don't take it as gospel but it's what I found when I was researching the w212 as a potential purchase as well

Originally Posted by The Critic
Transfer cases can be problematic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/698619-transfer-case-problems.html

Keep in mind that the transfer case is built into the transmission itself, so any major transfer case issues will require transmission replacement as well.

Sorry for your loss.
Yup. Transfer case on wife's '08 C300 4matic failed at 60K miles, and the whole transmission had to be replaced as a result. But you would hope MB sorted these things out in later model years.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
It's a 2013 e350 4matic . 34,000 miles . Every option . Top of the line my brother tells me .

I doubt that but I suppose it's possible. Never actually seen one. Put the vin in this site:

https://www.datamb.com/

Then go to this site and see what options were available for that year. Select the model then click on features.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/2013/

The designo packages were very rare, in shopping around and running various vin's through the decoder, I've hardly ever seen one for sale. But if it has everything, then it would have the driver assistance package, P2 package, rear entertainment package, heated steering wheel, parktronic, 115 volt outlet, side blinds, comfort box, panorama roof, night view assist, folding rear seats, heated and cooled seats, Bang & Olufsen sound system, real leather, multi contour seats, heated rear seats etc.

That would be a real unicorn because you hardly ever see the Bang & Olufsen sound system, that alone was a $6400 option. Same with the night view assist, very rare.

I will be going to father's home today and I will get his VIN # . I hope it's not in the questionable transfer case lot .

No response in MB forum , with a bunch of reading it appears they have a real problem with the 4matics , even after the changes they made in 2014 . I'd love to have my dad's car but I don't need a pain either .

No response in MB forum , with a bunch of reading it appears they have a real problem with the 4matics , even after the changes they made in 2014 . I'd love to have my dad's car but I don't need a pain either .

Well I was going to respond to you there, but I mind as well do it here.

The 2010-2011 had the M272 engine with the 7g tronic transmission. If you search the old threads, most of the transfer case problems affected the 2010-2011 models. The 2012+ had the M276 engine and I believe they had the improved 7g tronic plus transmission. You'd have to get the transmission code from the decoded vin to make sure. I have a 2011 and so far no problems with my transfer case and I'm over 100k. Things happen, but just because they happen doesn't mean it's common.

The 2010-2011 had the M272 engine with the 7g tronic transmission. If you search the old threads, most of the transfer case problems affected the 2010-2011 models. The 2012+ had the M276 engine and I believe they had the improved 7g tronic plus transmission. You'd have to get the transmission code from the decoded vin to make sure. I have a 2011 and so far no problems with my transfer case and I'm over 100k. Things happen, but just because they happen doesn't mean it's common.

Thanks Wolf I appreciate your time to reply . It's such a gorgeous car , not to mention the massaging seats and great safety features I'll probably get it . My dad really enjoyed the car and I'm sure I will also for a few years .Even if the trans did give me a issue it's not like it can't get fixed .

Thanks Wolf I appreciate your time to reply . It's such a gorgeous car , not to mention the massaging seats and great safety features I'll probably get it . My dad really enjoyed the car and I'm sure I will also for a few years .Even if the trans did give me a issue it's not like it can't get fixed .

If someone has an issue with any car, first thing they will do is post to dedicated forum. Than you come and look and of course, will question that.
4Matic comes from Stayer, and Stayer is no joke. They make 4WD for Puch G which is probably best off road vehicle, period.
I would check whether it has TC separate from transmission. The car has sentimental value to you, but it seems to me you need piece of mind where someone will say that they are absolutely bulletproof.
I was thinking before buying Sienna to get MB GL450 and not get fun car for myself. Choose another option, but not bcs. GL450 was bad car. So I ventured to MB forums to check and was appalled by lack of basic automotive knowledge among members and common sense too. Take into consideration that MB does not have such cult fallowing like BMW and to some extent Audi, so DIY people are harder to find. But, you should fallow logic of changing fluids on time or bit before (I always try to change transmission fluid and transfer case at the same time). MB has those A, B and C services, fallow them. But, if car is good, feels good etc. Take it!

Originally Posted by edyvw

If someone has an issue with any car, first thing they will do is post to dedicated forum. Than you come and look and of course, will question that.
4Matic comes from Stayer, and Stayer is no joke. They make 4WD for Puch G which is probably best off road vehicle, period.
I would check whether it has TC separate from transmission. The car has sentimental value to you, but it seems to me you need piece of mind where someone will say that they are absolutely bulletproof.
I was thinking before buying Sienna to get MB GL450 and not get fun car for myself. Choose another option, but not bcs. GL450 was bad car. So I ventured to MB forums to check and was appalled by lack of basic automotive knowledge among members and common sense too. Take into consideration that MB does not have such cult fallowing like BMW and to some extent Audi, so DIY people are harder to find. But, you should fallow logic of changing fluids on time or bit before (I always try to change transmission fluid and transfer case at the same time). MB has those A, B and C services, fallow them. But, if car is good, feels good etc. Take it!

Thanks for your insight Edy. Yes you are correct with the MB forums not alot of info there or knowledge , I'm sure there is some helpful guys there but not very active .
I have always been on top of maintenance so Dad's car would be in good hands in that aspect . Thanks again Edy.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight Edy. Yes you are correct with the MB forums not alot of info there or knowledge , I'm sure there is some helpful guys there but not very active .
I have always been on top of maintenance so Dad's car would be in good hands in that aspect . Thanks again Edy.

If car is good, I would not worry. Enjoy it.

Back