Upgraded to Gigbit Cable Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I ran a download test and I'm getting 110 megabytes per second (not megabits) where the other side has the capabilities or isn't throttling.

Test it during prime time Saturday night where you DE traverses the same infrastructure as Netflix. If you're lucky to not be in an over-subscribed neighborhood - great! You might get lucky, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

We have Fiber to the street and then analog cable from there into the house. I was here when they upgraded the infrastructure. But yeah, it depends on the other end as well for sure.

Again, I'm just on Gigabit until the promotional price expires and then most likely will drop to a 250 plan with my former Indie ISP. I only switched because of the DSL issues that they couldn't resolve.

I could get gigabit, but it's not worth the additional cost over the 400/20 that I have right now. With pfsense, QoS, and a decent wireless setup, this is more than good enough for myself and my internet hungry roommates.

[Linked Image]

Once a year goes by, the 250 is plenty and you will not notice any difference. Your just used to crappy DSL.
We never have any type of buffering when streaming with Netflex, Amazon or anything on the Roku Box and I mean NEVER with our 100 service.

I am surprised your upload is so slow though but there is a reason providers do that, to prevent commercial use of your connection I suspect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Once a year goes by, the 250 is plenty and you will not notice any difference. Your just used to crappy DSL.
We never have any type of buffering when streaming with Netflex, Amazon or anything on the Roku Box and I mean NEVER with our 100 service.

I am surprised your upload is so slow though but there is a reason providers do that, to prevent commercial use of your connection I suspect.

^^ Yeah, I agree. We could upgrade to a business plan and have fast upload capability but honestly that's plenty for us. I was running my Plex server for us, friends, and my parents on an upload speed of 10 on the DSL and as long as more than 2 people weren't using the server at the same time (which is rare) it was fine for us. 3rd person on at the same time it would get a little sketchy so at 26 I would be no problem.

All my off-site back-up stuff happens overnight as well so rarely do we use the upload capacity more than sending requests for web traffic and then it's idle again. Unless I'm working from home.

Originally Posted by madRiver

HD is pretty efficient and only needs about 5Mbps/connection. The OP has 4k running which is 25Mbps+ hog of steady bandwidth otherwise a spinner pops up.

25Mbps is just the recommended internet connection. The stream pulls nowhere near that. You can stream 4k from Netflix, Amazon and Youtube on a clean 10Mbps connection. 1080p can be done on less than 5Mbps.

But yeah, it depends on the other end as well for sure.

Actually I was thinking more things in the middle, specifically around the 1st or 2nd hop from your house, That is typically where the residential area bottlenecks show up.

Originally Posted by UberArchetype

Actually I was thinking more things in the middle, specifically around the 1st or 2nd hop from your house, That is typically where the residential area bottlenecks show up.

We are lucky to have fiber in most of our major cities from the street back to the main station and then fiber from there, so it hasn't been my experience that this is an issue.

Even my mum/dad who live out in a rural area have Gigabit capability have fiber running from their boxes back to the main station.

We are lucky to have fiber in most of our major cities from the street back to the main station and then fiber from there, so it hasn't been my experience that this is an issue.

Even my mum/dad who live out in a rural area have Gigabit capability have fiber running from their boxes back to the main station.

Copper, coax, fiber - doesn't matter. The media is not the limiting factor. It's the network infrastructure, meaning routers and switches, DSLAMs, that sort of thing. Processing power is the bottleneck, not the media OR bandwidth. It CAN be a bottleneck, but those cases are outliers. The primary and widely seen cause of residential Internet slowness is simply oversubscribed infrastructure. They are selling far more service than they can reliably deliver, generally speaking. It's just business.

Copper, coax, fiber - doesn't matter. The media is not the limiting factor. It's the network infrastructure, meaning routers and switches, DSLAMs, that sort of thing. Processing power is the bottleneck, not the media OR bandwidth. It CAN be a bottleneck, but those cases are outliers. The primary and widely seen cause of residential Internet slowness is simply oversubscribed infrastructure. They are selling far more service than they can reliably deliver, generally speaking. It's just business.

Yes, this is accurate. ALL residential service is oversubscribed, it has to be to be able to be offered at the price point it is. Dedicated service is significantly more expensive for that reason.

Hmmm, that would be why at work we will be paying something like $500/month for dedicated Fiber from Bell.

(Long story but it seems it's available now Overkill)

Hmmm, that would be why at work we will be paying something like $500/month for dedicated Fiber from Bell.

(Long story but it seems it's available now Overkill)

Yes, that's exactly why. The Fibre installs I manage are all dedicated (and all through Rogers) and they range in price from $400/month to $900 depending on bandwidth. Rogers offers up to 10Gbit dedicated over a pair, but I believe you can do link aggregation and subsequently get much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back