5w30 really better protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to 5w20? My car calls for 5w20 for better mpg but manual says you can use 5w30. Would 5w30 be better for the hot summers and long stop and go commutes out west? Would mpg even be a noticeable difference? I just assume use 5w20 but just curious as to what other people thought.

coffee2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

I've got a 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis that has 210,000 miles on it. It's had Hydrotex 5w30 in it since it was new, but it calls for 5w20. Engine literally runs like it is new and the MPG is great.

In Colorado, if 5w-30 is allowed in your owner's manual, it might be a good idea to run it in the summer.

Perhaps try a nice synthetic 0W-20 in the winter..

Please, not another one of these "thick vs. thin" threads. The site is littered and choked with them already.

The very definition of a troll thread on here.

Going against BITOG policy of making blanket statements about a car you have no experience with or interest in...I have a 2013 Gamma II 1.6 and having used both 5w-20 and 5w-30, I've settled on a "thin" 5w-30 and that seems to be the best of all worlds. I use PP 5w-30 and I've been happy with the results.

I tend to be as worried about the timing chain as anything else ( hence the 5w-30 ) and the mpg difference is negligible...but it can probably be measured in the right circumstance. In California at least, Winter vs. Summer gas makes more difference.

Originally Posted by zeke1985
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
What car? Engine?

2018 hyundai accent 1.6 gamma
Being a GDI engine, moving to the highest allowable grade, especially if you do any short-tripping in winter, is a good idea to combat fuel dilution. As always, UOAs tell the whole story, preferably NOT Blackstone if you have a GDI engine prone to excessive fuel in the oil (they tend to under-report fuel).

Originally Posted by Big_3_Only
I've got a 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis that has 210,000 miles on it. It's had Hydrotex 5w30 in it since it was new, but it calls for 5w20. Engine literally runs like it is new and the MPG is great.
I actually have the opposite experience in my '03 MGM 4.6-it seems to LOVE Magnatec 5W20 & an XG2, startup noise basically gone, capable of 25 MPG on flat back roads running under 60 MPH. Still zero consumption at 121K.

Use 5w-20 with a quality filter changed at a reasonable interval and your engine will have no problems.
Use 5w-30 with a quality filter changed at a reasonable interval and your engine will have no problems.

If the manual says you can use either then I wouldn't worry either way. Since you live in CO you can use the 5W-20 during the winter and 5W-30 in the summer, or just stick with one all year round. I wouldn't deviate from those grades until after the warranty runs out. After that you can try 0W-20 in the cold season.

My car calls for 5w20 for better mpg but manual says you can use 5w30.

Does the manual give an ambient temperature vs oil viscosity chart?

I personally don't go more than about 5K miles for an oil change interval and I wouldn't push it to 7500 especially if lesser quality gas has been used, short trips, or it idles a lot..

I'd possibly suggest using mid-grade versus 87 octane...or whatever mid-grade is in Colorado. I seem to notice a difference in gas mileage and overall better performance...and you might even think of it as a possible hedge against fuel dilution issues.

Use your choice of the OEM filter or something like a Fram Ultra...I've used both with the Fram having the benefit of better filtering while not noticing any differences related to the famous oil filter TSB which basically only said you need an ADBV filter.

Ambient temps should reference the same range for use of both oil grades in a Gamma II - unless that's changed recently..and I doubt it.

Compared to 5w20? My car calls for 5w20 for better mpg but manual says you can use 5w30. Would 5w30 be better for the hot summers and long stop and go commutes out west? Would mpg even be a noticeable difference? I just assume use 5w20 but just curious as to what other people thought.

You could use the 5w30 all the time and your car will probably be better for it. the 1st number (5) represents how well is flows when cold at start up. The next number is how thick it will remain at operating temperatures when your car is warmed up and going.
Most of the world dosent use 0or 5w20. It's something imposed on the consumer here and in Japan etc. to try and drive down fuel usage a little bit at the expenses of proper lubrication. Ya know whenever you have the government involved in anything you can bank on it being useless and counterproductive.

I would run Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, currently with a high PAO content and really not much "thinner" than many 5W-30's. If it makes you feel better, run 5W-30 in the hotter seasons. A quality 0W-30 like AFE is also an option...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back